Posted On: 2019-11-05
Closing On: 2019-11-20
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Join the Ontario Science Centre as we build on the momentum our 50th birthday celebrations and brand renewal in 2019. Guided by our mission to inspire passion for the human adventure of discovery, the Centre engages visitors in lifelong learning, is a vital link in the education and innovation ecosystems and a convener of public dialogue about science, technology and society. The Centre welcomes 900,000 visitors each year, and offers hands-on experiences and insights into science and technology that help visitors of all ages understand and contribute to the world around us.
What can I expect to do in this role?
As an experienced fundraising professional, you will provide leadership and drive revenue development to support Major Gifts and Annual Giving fundraising initiatives. The successful incumbent will determine strategy and provide leadership in the development and implementation of a robust development program for private donors that will include:
- identifying prospects and building pipelines
- preparing persuasive and inspiring funding materials and donor communications
- soliciting donors and providing support for senior volunteers
- creating a robust stewardship strategy
You will also develop, recommend and implement strategic direction, policy and stewardship activities related to our generous current Major Gift/Innovators’ Circle donors (specifically related to the recent 50th Birthday Campaign) as well as an Annual Giving program.
How do I qualify?
Fundraising Knowledge and Experience
• Demonstrated major gift, individual and community giving experience and advanced skills in managing prospects and developing successful strategies and approaches for gift solicitation.
• Proven track record of success with personal sales and securing philanthropic support (i.e. major gifts of $25,000 or more from individuals), preferably in an arts, cultural or educational institution.
• Demonstrated initiative and creativity to identify and develop gift opportunities linked to organizational priorities and experience with developing customized approaches to meet donor interests.
• Experience with engaging new prospects through independent research, prospect identification and personal engagement with proven success in developing and implementing comprehensive donor solicitation plans.
• Knowledge of standards and practices in major gift, individual and community fundraising.
• Advanced knowledge of fundraising research, cultivation and engagement principles and best practices.
Relationship Management and Communication Skills
- Exceptional oral communication skills to interact effectively with board members, senior level volunteers, CEO and senior staff; experience working with communication agencies or others to develop the case for support for different funding opportunities.
- Exceptional written skills and attention to detail to create compelling communications, including: strategic proposals; persuasive and inspiring cultivation and solicitation documents; and, powerful engagement and stewardship communications that provide evidence of the impact of donor support
- Superior presentation, negotiation and relationship management skills to engage, motivate and work with donors, prospects and volunteers in successful cultivation, gift solicitation and stewardship.
- Collaboration and consultation skills to promote cooperation and exceptional customer service, and to motivate others to contribute to development of major gift opportunities and plans.
Donor Relations and Program Leadership Skills
- Strategic planning abilities to set and manage priorities to ensure program goals are met, including developing and implementing Major Gift, Individual and Community Giving programs along with related activities that will achieve revenue and growth targets.
- Ability to research and develop stewardship plans to cultivate new and nurture existing supporters
- Program management skills to lead program operations: identification, solicitation and cultivation of major and annual giving donors; donor relations program. including recognition, stewardship, communications and reporting activities; and, to develop and implement administrative procedures and systems to ensure a successful program.
- Ability to plan, execute and evaluate strategies and relevant/required materials to attract and secure donors and deliver optimal outcome of projects/programs.
- Experience and skills in determining processes and systems needed to operate effective Major Gift, Individual and Community Giving programs.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills to provide evaluation of activities and results.
- Supervisory and administrative experience with respect to fundraising systems, as well as research, analytical, problem solving, database and organization skills.
- 1 Permanent, 770 Don Mills Rd, Toronto, Toronto Region
Interested applicants must apply online, by 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, November 20, 2019, by visiting www.ontario.ca/careers and entering Job ID 141327 in the Job ID search field. We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code.