Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: Department of 20, with direct line management of 4
Position status: Full-time, 37.5 hours per week, 3-year definite term contract, with the possibility to extend for a further 3 years by mutual agreement
Location: Toronto, ON
Anticipated Start Date: February, 2020
Salary: $96, 694 (Level F/G on the MSF Canada 2019 Salary Grid)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organisation. Our medical teams act fast to save lives in conflict zones, natural disasters and epidemics. We offer assistance to people based on need, irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation. Today, with thousands of health professionals, logisticians and administrative staff – most of whom are hired locally – we’re working where we are needed most in 71 countries worldwide.
As an engine of MSF Canada and the MSF movement at large, the Fundraising Department plays a critical role in securing the success of our social mission. Raising over $65 million annually in private funding – through integrated direct response campaigns, major gifts, foundations, third party events, legacy and planned giving vehicles – the Fundraising Department is at the heart of our humanitarian emergency medical operations in the field. With the launch of a new Strategic Plan for 2020-2023, MSF Canada has the ambition to increase from the 15th fundraising section in the MSF international movement, to among the top eight.
The Director of Fundraising drives the vision, strategy and annual plan for fundraising efforts at MSF Canada. Using innovation, thought leadership and creativity, the Director will not only build on the years of investments already made, but will also etch out the future of Fundraising and Development in the Canadian market. Providing a strong sense of leadership and support to the Fundraising team, acting as an active member of the MSF Canada Senior Management Team (MT), and participating in international MSF platforms, the Director will contribute to MSF’s global social mission.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Including but not limited to:
- Leadership and Strategic Alignment - As a key member of the Senior Management Team, participate in the development and achievement of an ambitious Strategic Plan (2020-2023) for MSF Canada, capitalizing on opportunities, mitigating risks, and jointly stewarding resources and activities toward strategic priorities; Collaborate with the Executive Director, MT members and international colleagues to design and carry out Fundraising strategies and activities aimed at garnering public understanding of MSF’s field activities, operational concerns, and organizational messages; Lead by example, inspire and motivate others, and foster a work environment founded on our core values of humanity, integrity and results.
- Major Gifts and Planned Giving - Function in a highly visible, externally-facing role as the chief fundraiser for MSF Canada, working directly with top major gift prospects and donors and personally making face-to-face donor solicitations; Drive growth and lead strategy on major and planned giving fundraising, including setting ambitious annual and longer-term revenue targets, and planning regional and Toronto meetings with a focus on cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
- Oversee the Fundraising Department - Lead and support a team of 20 employees (4 direct reports) to achieve their goals, and fully embody the guiding values of the Strategic Plan – the expression of these values will continuously shape our organizational culture and are key to realizing our four-year vision; Establish trust, respect, recognition and mutual accountability in a high performance, collaborative environment.
- International & External Representation - Represent the Fundraising Department to the Board of Directors, stimulating impactful and strategic dialogue around annual planning and reporting cycles; Actively participate in the International MSF platform of Fundraising Directors, contributing to the development of fundraising policies, priorities, and activities aligned with the needs and growth of the international movement; Keep abreast of industry trends, maintaining external professional networks, monitoring developments in the fundraising sector including legislative changes and representing MSF to the Canadian fundraising network.
Education and experience
- 6+ years’ experience in fundraising in the philanthropic sector
- CFRE preferred, with a degree in a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Proven experience in roles requiring strategic vision, planning, and innovative thinking to capitalize on opportunities and minimize risks while managing multiple priorities
- Demonstrated experience in successfully leading and managing a diverse team, enhancing motivation, development and performance via constructive feedback and ensuring strategic alignment with organizational goals and values
- Working experience with a humanitarian aid organization and knowledge of humanitarian aid programs is a strong asset
Skills and competencies
- Genuine interest in and commitment to the humanitarian principles of MSF
- Demonstrated success in roles requiring good judgment, analytic, systematic thinking while managing multiple priorities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English demonstrated in previous roles that require communication with diverse actors; strong oral French skills preferred
- A public relations orientation: tact, diplomacy, and strong instinct for social protocol
- Ability to adapt and remain flexible
- Excellent team builder, with experience collaborating across internal departments (Communications, Finance, etc.)
- Computer literate and familiar with fundraising software
- Ability to stay calm under pressure and meet deadlines in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Flexible, with an ability and willingness to travel
Regular travel to other MSF locations within Canada or possibly the US and occasional trips to Operational Centers abroad. Percentage of time required to travel, domestic/international: up to 15%
Benefits include access to a generous Health Spending Account, Group Insurance, RRSP contributions – based on employment status, Long-term / Short-term Disability, starting 4 weeks’ Vacation/year, Flexible work hours, Relocation packages based on eligibility, Professional Development budget, Employee Assistance Program, and a positive and innovative office culture grounded in our core values of humanity, integrity and results.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION:
Interested candidates are invited to apply by completing the application found HERE.
Please be sure to include three (3) references and a letter of motivation as a part of your application.
The deadline for applications is Thursday, November 28, 2019 at 5:00pm EST
Only electronic applications will be accepted.
MSF Canada is a people-focused humanitarian organization that is proud to offer a diverse, collaborative, and inclusive work environment. We strongly believe this approach enhances our work and we’re committed to equity in employment. The organization seeks to attract and engage the best professionals to join and maintain meaningful, productive and lasting work relationships. We embrace diverse motivations and backgrounds of people working together to exhibit their passion in action for the social mission of MSF.
Note: Applicants who have questions regarding accommodation and accessibility can send questions/concerns to Phone: 1-800-982-7903 ext: 3454