Posted On: 2019-11-06
Closing On: 2019-12-31
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Internationally acclaimed for its unique environment and expertise in the particular learning needs of girls, The Bishop Strachan School (BSS) has built a reputation over its long history as an undisputed leader in education. Offering a challenging, lively and creative atmosphere, a roster of uniquely qualified faculty and staff, and an inspiring campus featuring a spectacular science and arts wing, BSS inspires each student to find her passion, pursue her dreams and reach her potential through a rigorous academic program.
Helping students become smart, independent, compassionate young women, BSS provides the tools, technology and innovation required to thrive in post-secondary pursuits and beyond. Our unique whole girl approach, commitment to excellence and embodiment of strong values create a profound and powerful learning environment within a supportive, engaged community.
To support our mission of providing our students with the best educational experience, we strive for excellence in every facet of the organization - including providing a stimulating, creative and lively work environment that attracts the best staff and faculty. We are seeking the right candidate to fill the position of:
Major Gifts Officer
Reports to: Executive Director, Advancement
Summary of Position:
Reporting to the Executive Director, Advancement, the Major Gifts Officer works closely with other frontline fundraisers, the Advancement Services team, and colleagues across BSS to actively grow the major gift pipeline and bring visibility to the school’s planned giving program. Through dedicated relationship building, informed gift solicitation, and meaningful volunteer engagement, this role contributes to building a strong culture of philanthropy, and a sense of shared goals, throughout the BSS community.
The Major Gifts Officer works in keeping with the school’s vision, mission and values. Being effective in this role requires a strong interest – and active participation – in the life of BSS so that communications and interpersonal exchanges are both informed and authentic.
Specific Accountabilities Include:
- Works closely with colleagues to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward prospective donors with the capacity to make a major gift ($25,000+)
- Actively engages with a portfolio of prospective supporters through school events, in-person meetings, phone visits, and written communications
- Implements agreed-upon metrics for major gift fundraising, using Raiser’s Edge to track activity
- Plans, schedules and conducts solicitation meetings; as warranted, provides behind-the-scenes support for the Head of School, Executive Director, Advancement and key volunteers
- Prepares proposals and other solicitation materials; advises the Senior Development Officer on appropriate donor recognition and stewardship once a gift is committed
- Works collaboratively and strategically with Student Enrolment, Communications, and members of the Advancement team to optimize trips – including Head of School meetings, alumnae branch events, and recruiting visits – to achieve multiple objectives, as appropriate
- Conducts research on prospective donors, tapping outside resources as needed
- Supports and advises the Director, Parent Relations in developing plans to welcome new families
- Participates in regular review of priority prospects to ensure coordinated efforts and meaningful engagement activities
- Helps pilot an initiative to celebrate and encourage woman’s philanthropy at BSS
- Manages Planned Giving program, including marketing and communications, solicitations and recognition of Gaudeamus Society members
- Commits to some travel and to working some evenings and weekends
- Commits to the Staff Growth and Evaluation Process
- Other related responsibilities as assigned
Skills, Experience and Attributes Include:
- Bachelor's degree, and at least five years of experience in major gifts and/or planned giving, preferably at an educational institution; fundraising designation a plus
- Significant experience working productively and positively with alumnae and volunteers
- Understanding of the unique culture of philanthropy in a women’s institution
- Superior interpersonal and judgment skills; ability to make strong connections and represent BSS with stakeholders
- Strong project management, organization and planning skills, with a demonstrated track record of program development and implementation and attentiveness to detail
- Proficiency with Raiser’s Edge and highly developed computer skills with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint); fluency with Google platform
- Ability to work and communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, with a broad range of internal and external constituents including faculty, staff, students, alumnae, parents, and friends of the school
- Ability to work independently, solve problems, handle confidential information, and navigate sensitive situations
- Integrity, flexibility and a sense of humour
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at The Bishop Strachan School by email to email@example.com indicating Major Gifts Officer in the subject line.
We thank all candidates in advance.
We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview.
We believe that diversity in our School fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment.
We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school
and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
Visit us at www.bss.on.ca