Organization: Humber College
Title: Senior Advancement Officer – Events
Reports to: Director, Alumni Relations
Location: 205 Humber College Blvd
Is this you?
Are you inspired by and passionate about education? Are you a motivated and enthusiastic professional with events experience? Would you be excited to join Canada’s largest College in their Advancement and Alumni department as the lead on alumni and philanthropy events?
Ideally, you’ve had experience in creating events as an engagement tool as it relates to fundraising and alumni. You understand how events are used as a cultivation tool that can deepen donor engagement, cultivate new donors and create or expand existing revenue opportunities for your organization.
You are creative, an idea generator and highly organized. You pride yourself on flawless execution and are known for keeping projects and events on time and on budget.
You are team oriented, but don’t mind being an individual contributor as it relates to your portfolio. You’re known as a consummate professional, able to tactfully manage complex situations and motivate/inspire colleagues and volunteers. You are strategic, mature and take initiative confidently. You see projects and task through from beginning to end.
You would humbly describe yourself as an excellent communicator, both verbally and written. You are “a doer”: methodical, process-oriented and flexible with taking on a variety of tasks.
Are you resilient, creative and not afraid of a challenge? Would you be excited about the opportunity to be a pivotal member of an Advancement and Alumni team for a premier Canadian College who are focused on building a strong foundation for future fundraising success?
If the above sounds like you and you’re excited, please read on.
Established in 1967, Humber is one of Canada’s leading postsecondary institutions. Committed to student success through excellence in teaching and learning, Humber serves 33,000 full-time students and 23,000-part time and continuing education students. With an internationally recognized reputation for quality learning, Humber offers a wide-range of career-focused opportunities for students to personalize their educational path, including 180 full-time programs across more than 40 fields of study, 200 part-time and 400 online programs or courses. More than four out of five Humber graduates are employed within six months of completing their studies. Advancement and Alumni is a dedicated team of professionals raising financial resources and engaging alumni to help advance Humber College’s mission, vision and priorities. With over 250,000 graduates contributing to a vibrant and meaningful alumni community, as well as individuals, corporations and foundations investing in the College, the department works to inspire and cultivate meaningful engagement and philanthropic support to ensure that Humber students will be well-positioned for success having the resources they need to achieve their academic, career and personal goals.
The Humber College Advancement and Alumni team is growing! We are seeking an event professional to join their Advancement and Alumni team! Our successful candidate will report to the Director of Alumni Relations and will be accountable for the planning, development, organization, coordination and implementation of events. There will be a particular emphasis on building the College’s existing signature and key events (for example the annual Humber College Golf Classic).
Our candidate will ideally have had experience securing sponsorship, tables, ticket sales and other forms of event revenue. They’ll be an excellent project manager and will be able to seamlessly manage volunteers, internal stakeholders and other external vendors and relationships.
The Senior Advancement Officer, Events will be comfortable organizing and executing a wide range of event types and formats…from galas to receptions to raffles and everything in between. They will be skilled at developing event concepts and managing the logistics, including preparing the event plans and briefing packages; developing event marketing and communications materials, etc.
- Manage and execute the overall planning, organization, coordination and implementation of events including event concept design, logistics and programming; securing sponsorship and in-kind contributions; managing ticket and table sales; developing critical paths; overseeing auctions and raffles; and managing volunteers
- Oversee the annual golf tournament signature event fundraiser; support and implement select events and activities pertaining to executing events such as alumni relations, major giving, annual giving, planned giving and donor stewardship
- Prepare event plans and itineraries
- Develop and prepare event communications collateral, including invitations, sponsorship materials, media backgrounders, key messages, speeches, briefing packages, advertisements and marketing materials
- Oversee design, printing and delivery of printed materials and signage required for events
- Develop invitation lists and coordination invitation/RSVP processes
- Implement standard business practices throughout the course of all events and ensure backup plans are in place
- Provide detailed reporting of events and conduct analyses which include evaluations, key learning points, and recommendations for future enhancements
- Develop feedback processes (i.e. post event surveys) and develop a process where feedback is considered in future planning
- Maintain an annual events calendar and lists of event vendors and venues
- Be on-site for all events and other key functions as required, which may include working nights and weekends
- Foster a service-oriented approach
- Ensure the coordination of photos and the gathering of attendee stories to support donor communication
- Ability to edit and in some instances design content to support event marketing (i.e brochures)
- Input notes and keep record in Raiser’s Edge
- Build a third party event program by developing relationships with individuals, associations and service organizations in the community
- Source, negotiate and manage services with vendors ensuring the best quality and value while remaining within budget guidelines
- Liase with, and ensure relevant staff stakeholders are aware and fully briefed on any given upcoming event
- Direct staff and volunteer support as required with respect to their involvement in the event
- Liase with event venue staff from initial planning stages to event day set-up and take-down
- Liase regularly with internal and external community stakeholders, key departments and faculties to determine and event logistics such as budget, venue, catering, collateral, and amenities
- Liase with involved parties regarding event sponsorship
- Enhance relationships with existing stakeholders and develop new stakeholder relationships within the community
- Develop relationships with students, faculty and staff to ensure event success
Financials and Reporting
- Develop and manage budgets, meet fundraising goals and control expenses of events
- Develop revenue projections for events and fundraisers
- Assist with the establishment of fundraising goals for events
- Develop and establish pricing for event sponsorship opportunities
- Prepare and analyze reports on events and provide regular updates
- Ensure that Humber’s events are of the highest standard by adhering to all charitable and ethical guidelines
Our Ideal Candidate
Our successful candidate will possess/be:
- University degree or relevant post-secondary education
- Experience in event planning and management with a minimum of 5-7 years of experience in developing and managing successful fundraising events in a not-for-profit organization
- Specific experience executing events such as galas, dinners and receptions; campaign launches and celebrations; special meetings and tours; golf tournaments; auctions and raffles; awards ceremonies; cultivation and stewardship events; and others as determined
- Demonstrated ability to successfully build relationships with corporate decision-makers, solicit sponsorships and develop opportunities for support
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with a variety of stakeholders such as volunteers, donors, staff and vendors
- Superior organizational, admin and analytical skills
- Strong verbal and written skills with excellent interpersonal skills and a positive work attitude
- Team oriented with the ability to work independently, take initiative and exercise good judgement
- Exceptional attention to detail, high integrity, ability to develop and execute complex plans and manage priorities and deadlines, innovate new and creative ways to raise funds through events
- Proficiency with Raise’s Edge and solid computing skills with MS Office including Word, Excel and Outlook
- Experience with donation receipting and CRA rulings as it relates to events (tickets, sponsorships and gifts-in-kind)
- Evening and weekend work will be required from time to time
- Valid drivers license
If you are someone who is looking for an outstanding challenge, working with a great team then what are you waiting for? Apply now by emailing your cover letter and resume to Hilary Fisher at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note only qualified candidates will be contacted. Our application deadline is 5pm on December 2, 2019.