Daily Bread Food Bank is seeking a forward thinking and driven fundraising professional to join us and lead the development team in the role of Vice President, Philanthropy. The VP, Philanthropy will be responsible for increasing and diversifying revenue through strengthening existing fundraising activities and building new revenue generation programs in support of Daily Bread Food Bank’s overall strategic plan.
Reporting to the CEO, and working closely with members of the leadership team, the new VP will provide strategic direction, inspiration, and guidance to a team of development professionals, ensuring each individual is supported and resourced to successfully achieve their goals.
Responsible for driving the implementation of the business plan, the new VP, Philanthropy will bring experience in designing and delivering annual plans, with milestone celebration and course correction well-integrated. Taking an innovative approach and bringing fresh ideas to program development, the new VP, Philanthropy will encourage creative and evidence-based models of fundraising best practice. The new incumbent will take a lead role in motivating and inspiring staff, volunteers, partners, donors, and other key stakeholders to ensure the successful achievement of fundraising growth from $10M to $12M over the next three years – and will be provided the resources to achieve this growth.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced fundraising leader who is committed to social justice, passionate about food security and issues of poverty, and is looking for a concrete way to leverage innovative strategies and tactics to create a meaningful impact in Toronto.
ABOUT DAILY BREAD FOOD BANK
Founded in 1983, Daily Bread Food Bank is now one of Canada’s largest food banks, working with partners across the city to provide food and assistance to people struggling with hunger in the Toronto area. In 2019, Daily Bread supplied and distributed food to support almost 200 food programs in the Greater Toronto Area. These programs are run by 135 partner organizations, including shelters, meal programs, and other food banks. This year, Daily Bread’s partner organizations saw over 1,000,000 food bank visits, which have been steadily increasing in volume year over year. Volunteers are essential to the day-to-day operations at Daily Bread Food Bank. Last year, 11,863 people volunteered at Daily Bread, giving a total of 29,658 hours of service.
These committed and passionate individuals help us sort and pack millions of pounds of food, work in our on-site food bank, help prepare nutritious meals in our kitchen and keep our warehouse running smoothly.
Daily Bread’s research and advocacy division explores hunger and poverty in Toronto and advocates for policy change. Daily Bread is a member of the Toronto Food Policy Council and the Toronto Employment and Social Services advisory committee. The annual Who’s Hungry report describes current statistics on the people and areas most affected by hunger, the causes of hunger, and solutions to hunger in the GTA.
Recently, Daily Bread has enhanced its efforts to tackle the issues of lost food and greenhouse gas emissions, starting at the farm level. Since launching the Farm to Food Bank Program, Daily Bread has rescued hundreds of thousands of pounds of fresh, “perfectly imperfect” produce from area farms and distributed them to food banks across the city.
Daily Bread Food Bank has a rights-based approach, meaning they are committed to:
- Providing low-barrier service as well as a choice of nutritious and culturally appropriate food at all food programs means facilitating access to food to anyone who indicates a need, regardless of circumstance.
- Providing respectful and dignified customer service at all food programs. Daily Bread fosters a welcoming and inclusive environment for all and holds themselves accountable for providing excellent service.
- Empowering and prioritizing the people they serve. Daily Bread’s decisions will take into account the lived experience of the individuals they serve. Seventy five per cent of Daily Bread’s governing Board of Directors is made up of members who identify as having lived experience.
Advocating for change that results in long-term solutions is happening under an exciting new three year plan – a plan that brings in a new vision, the pillar of “A Right to Food”, growth in food distribution and a focus on quality and culturally appropriate foods. As poverty increases, families and individuals living with low income are not always getting access to vital social supports and basic nutrition. With a network of front-line agencies and food banks across the city, Daily Bread is well positioned to address the immediate needs of Toronto’s most vulnerable residents.
FUNDRAISING AT DAILY BREAD FOOD BANK
Daily Bread relies heavily on donations of food and funds to ensure they can provide services to the largest number of people. Since visits have been increasing significantly over the past years, the investment in building revenue generating programs is no longer an option but a necessity. With a robust fundraising program that includes annual, major and planned giving as well as peer to peer and community giving, the foundation of philanthropy at Daily Bread is strong. The vision for the future focuses on targeted growth to help optimize strengths and maximize the impact of donor generosity.
While the primary, overarching goal is to increase revenue for the organization, inspiring the community to meaningful action goes beyond opening a wallet. Daily Bread’s plan is to engage youth in the community and their families; to activate volunteers as fundraisers and donors; and to leverage corporate partnerships to engage their employees and customers. To that end, Daily Bread has set six strategic priorities for a three-year program, which will help enhance current strengths and introduce new programs to lift philanthropic achievement and take Daily Bread to new heights.
ADDITIONAL BACKGROUND & RESOURCES
- Who’s Hungry Report 2019
- Annual Report 2019
- 2019 Financial Statements
- Donor Stories
- Daily Bread blog
- Board of Directors
- A video message from Neil Hetherington
The ideal candidate will bring a sound understanding of the charitable landscape, a commitment to social justice, and a belief that access to food is a human right. A proven fundraising leader, the new incumbent will have a high level of skill and experience in a broad range of fund development program areas including annual, major, and planned giving, digital strategy and online giving, corporate partnerships, and peer-to-peer fundraising. With vision, optimism, and entrepreneurial spirit the VP, Philanthropy will bring strategic thinking on how to integrate multiple fundraising streams, prioritize and capitalize on revenue generating opportunities, and further engage Daily’s Bread’s strong community of longstanding, committed donors.
Bold and unafraid to take a calculated risk, the ideal candidate will be both ambitious and humble. A person of high integrity and authenticity, the new incumbent will build strong relationships, a positive outlook and will engage others as we drive towards our $12M fundraising target.
A skilled relationship manager, the VP, Philanthropy will work with Daily Bread’s most important donors, partners, and supporters, understanding their unique motivations for giving. The successful candidate will be experienced in engaging corporate partners in deep, meaningful ways including employee engagement and helping to achieve their corporate social responsibility goals.
Forward thinking and technologically savvy, the ideal candidate will use innovative tools and technologies to support fundraising programs, target communications, and further engage donor audiences to support the work of Daily Bread.
Both leader and doer, the VP, Philanthropy will be a motivating and inspiring team leader and player who gets things done. As someone who leans on and values others for their expertise, the ideal candidate will be a strengths based leader who identifies and optimizes talent, working to get the best out of each individual. The successful candidate will be a builder who is excited to support and celebrate team success, will bring a positive presence and will promote an inclusive and collaborative culture.
The new incumbent will provide clarity of roles and expectations and provide space for autonomy and authority for team members with a high degree of respect and trust. The ideal candidate will mentor the team and implement fundraising best practice in all areas including the use of the database and metrics to drive a culture of accountability in order to achieve team goals.
A consummate team player, the successful candidate will embrace and leverage opportunities for collaboration with the Leadership Team, supporting a participatory environment. The VP, Philanthropy will bring expertise supporting, educating, and mobilizing board members and senior volunteers in order to capitalize on their unique talents and networks to support fundraising.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Represents Fund Development at the leadership team, and provides strategic counsel and guidance on philanthropy to the CEO, acting as the resident expert on revenue generation models and fundraising best practice.
- Identifies and evaluates risks to Daily Bread Food Bank on an ongoing basis, and executes on appropriate mitigation plans as required.
- Champions the organization’s vison and strategic direction, and ensures all fundraising strategies and revenue generating programs align with the strategic goals and direction of the organization.
- Works cooperatively with the Marketing and Communications team to ensure brand alignment and collaborates with colleagues across the organization towards the successful implementation of the strategic plan.
- Provides regular reports to the CEO, leadership team, Board, and volunteer committees on progress, outcomes, and projections while also highlighting any key issues or risks.
- Develops and implements a successful annual and multi-year fundraising plan that encompasses all revenue streams and fund development programs.
- Oversees all fundraising budgets, including KPI development, tracking, monitoring, and reporting; ensures course correction of targets as required.
- Provides strategic direction in the creation of all philanthropic communication materials, ensuring to connect organization needs to donor priorities to build a strong case for support.
- Holds a personal portfolio of high-value prospects and donors, and designs and implements customized strategies to successfully cultivate, solicit and steward donors in an effective and meaningful way.
- Represents Daily Bread with other food banks and associations in order to strengthen external relationships.
- Provides strategic oversight of all donor relations and stewardship programs, ensuring all activities infuse meaningful impact information into donor experiences.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of CRA policies and guidelines, as well as sector standards and best practices that pertain to charitable giving and fundraising.
- Builds, coaches, and inspires a team of professionals to draw out their best contributions to the overall development efforts of Daily Bread Food Bank.
- Oversees the recruitment, onboarding, training, mentoring, and performance management of all development staff.
QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Experience and demonstrated success in a fundraising leadership role.
- Demonstrated experience in building, managing and retaining teams, ideally with a great sense of humour.
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively, act with integrity, and influence others as a positive change agent.
- Comfort and capacity working with high-net worth individuals and families, foundations, community leaders, and senior officials in the corporate sector.
- Experience in peer-to-peer fundraising, the interplay of digital marketing with fundraising, and leveraging volunteer engagement into revenue generating opportunities.
- Superior verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated public relations experience, with a high level of comfort acting as a spokesperson for media and/or at high profile events.
- In-depth knowledge of fundraising and other information systems, data management and procedures. Experience in Raiser’s Edge is considered an asset.
- Demonstrated commitment to measuring outcomes and thrives within a results-oriented culture.
- In-depth knowledge and practice of strategic fundraising, sectoral trends, and best practice.
- An understanding of the impact of poverty and a desire to work within a right-based framework. Lived experience of issues faced by those served by Daily Bread is an asset.
- A University degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- CFRE certification and for-profit business development experience are considered assets.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
KCI (Ketchum Canada Inc.) has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of Daily Bread Food Bank. For more information about this leadership opportunity, please contact Ellie Rusonik, Senior Consultant, by email at DBFB@kcitalent.com.
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence. To apply, please send a resume and letter of interest, to the email address listed above by January 20, 2020.
To view the full Executive Brief, please visit: www.kcitalent.com
Daily Bread Food Bank is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from members of designated groups. Persons with disabilities, who need accommodation in the application process, or those needing job postings in another format, please e-mail a request to the address above.