Organization: Humber College
Title: Senior Advancement Officer – Major Gifts
Reports to: Director, Major and Planned Gifts
Location: 205 Humber College Blvd
Is this you?
Are you inspired by and passionate about education, and the critical role philanthropy plays in advancing this sector? Do you have experience in fundraising, and would you be excited about being part of building a Major Giving program at a leading education institution? Are you an entrepreneurial builder of great relationships? Are you comfortable with fluctuating daily responsibilities and engaging a myriad of cross-functional stakeholders? Are you independent, curious, intelligent and possess a high emotional intelligence?
Are you a team-oriented problem solver who isn’t afraid to dive into the details? You are open to a centralized organizational structure yet are confident in your own decisions and abilities. You are known among your peers as a consummate professional, able to tactfully manage complex situations and motivate/inspire colleagues and volunteers. You are strategic, mature and take initiative confidently. You see projects and task through from beginning to end.
You would humbly describe yourself as an excellent communicator, both verbally and written. You are “a doer:” methodical, process-oriented and flexible with taking on a variety of tasks.
Are you resilient, creative and not afraid of a challenge? Would you be excited about the opportunity to be a pivotal member of an advancement team for a premier Canadian College who are focused on building a strong foundation for future fundraising success?
If the above sounds like you and you’re excited, please read on…
Established in 1967, Humber is one of Canada’s leading postsecondary institutions. Committed to student success through excellence in teaching and learning, Humber serves 29,800 full-time students and 23,000-part time and continuing education students. With an internationally recognized reputation for quality learning, Humber offers a wide-range of career-focused opportunities for students to personalize their educational path, including 180 full-time programs across more than 40 fields of study, 200 part-time and 400 online programs or courses. More than four out of five Humber graduates are employed within six months of completing their studies. Advancement and Alumni is a dedicated team of professionals raising financial resources and engaging alumni to help advance Humber College’s mission, vision and priorities. With over 220,000 graduates contributing to a vibrant and meaningful alumni community, as well as individuals, corporations and foundations investing in the College, the department works to inspire and cultivate meaningful engagement and philanthropic support to ensure that Humber students will be well-positioned for success having the resources they need to achieve their academic, career and personal goals.
In this position, Humber College is seeking an experienced fundraising professional to join its Advancement and Alumni team, focusing on securing major gift support and playing a key role in future campaigns. Working under the direction of the Director Major and Planned Giving, the Senior Advancement Officer (SAO) will build strong relationships with key constituents and will be responsible for developing strategies to engage prospects, donors and volunteers. They will be part of a team of Major Giving Senior Advancement Officers at Humber, all reporting to the Director.
The SAO will be responsible for the full scope of activities related to major gift fundraising and campaign support. This person will support and work closely with Senior Volunteers and Academic leaders to develop strategies and solicitation plans that will result in gifts to the organization.
The SAO will also be responsible for translating funding opportunities into plans and proposals, soliciting gifts (both independently and in conjunction with volunteers and staff) and ensuring proper stewardship takes place following a gift. They will participate in the overall fundraising activities of the broader advancement and alumni team while upholding professional ethics and encouraging philanthropic best practices.
- Develop and maintain an in-depth knowledge of College activities, funding priorities and needs. Apply this knowledge in matching interests and needs of prospective donors with the strategic needs of the College
- Build relationships with individuals and organizations capable of making major gifts
- In co-ordination with the entire advancement team develop fundraising plans and identify new opportunities to increase support, interest, engagement and revenue
- Establish goals to move donors up the giving cycle and solicit multi-year pledges
- Proactively (with support from the prospect research officer) use prospect identification, research and qualification
- Manage a portfolio of major gift prospects and conduct face-to-face solicitation personally, and in tandem with senior staff and volunteers
- Identify, recruit and train volunteers and ensure excellence in volunteer management and support by ensuring they are appropriately engaged in their roles by effectively mobilizing them with information and other tools to optimize their contributions of time, support and connections. Ensure that volunteers are properly briefed and prepared in advance of any contacts with prospective major gift donors
- Organize, manage and track fundraising activities and information specifically: ensure donor activity is maintained in Raiser’s Edge and files, tacking key dates for renewals and re-engagement
- Facilitate the preparation of fundraising materials such as proposals, briefing notes, case statements, presentations, projection and progress reports, gift agreements, letters, and other documents or materials as needed
- Ensure appropriate donor cultivation, acknowledgement, recognition and stewardship plans by partnering with the stewardship team to maintain an efficient stewardship process that ensures all major gift donors receive personalized and timely communication and acknowledgement
- Monitor and report on revenue and prospect activity objectives
- Attend a variety of functions both internally and externally, as required
- Collaborate on the development of ideas for cultivation, stewardship and other fundraising events
- Participate actively as a member of the Advancement and Alumni team and maintain a high degree of motivation and superior work ethic
Our Ideal Candidate
Our successful candidate will possess/be:
- University degree or relevant post-secondary education
- 5-7 years experience in fundraising with a proven track record of success in Major Gifts
- Experience working with senior volunteers and advancement staff
- Must have excellent prospecting skills and proven ability to uncover leads from databases and other sources
- Proven track record in major gift cultivation and solicitation activities
- Demonstrated awareness of the donor relationship cycle (identification, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship); principles of moves management and solid understanding of how major gift activities relate and connect to other major gift areas within development such as events, stewardship, research, annual and planned giving
- Ability to interpret and communicate complex programs and ideas to a varied audience
- Flexible and adaptable; able to work both independently and as part of a team; proven ability to set priorities; work with minimal supervision and meet deadlines
- Proficiency with Raiser’s Edge software, MS Office including Word, Excel and Outlook and high degree of comfort with a donor database for tracking prospect activity
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a positive attitude to work effectively and collaboratively with a variety of stakeholders such as volunteers, donors, and alumni
- Superior organizational, administrative, analytical, verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail, ability to develop and execute complex plans and manage multiple priorities and deadlines
- Professional presence, sound judgment, diplomacy and tact. Ability to maintain confidentiality and work with sensitive information
- Evening and weekend work will be required from time to time
If you are someone who is looking for an outstanding challenge, working with a great team then what are you waiting for? Apply now by emailing your cover letter and resume to Hilary Fisher at email@example.com. Please note only qualified candidates will be contacted.