Posted On: 2019-12-17
Closing On: 2020-01-17
Location: Toronto, ON
Effective: January 2020
Employment Type: Full-Time
Senior Development Officer, Philanthropy
About Camp Oochigeas
Camp Ooch is a privately funded, volunteer-based organization that provides kids with cancer and kids affected by childhood cancer with a unique opportunity for growth through challenging, fun, enriching and magical experiences. Since 1984, ‘Ooch’ has been providing magical camp experiences to thousands of children affected by childhood cancer. Camp Oochigeas provides onsite chemotherapy and blood work to our camper population during their stay at our 400-acre facility in Muskoka, ON. The Camp also provides year-round programming at The Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto and other pediatric oncology centers across Ontario as well as for children living in the community. Camp Oochigeas has experienced strong strategic growth in the last few years and is offering increased programming in order to better serve our community.
Camp Oochigeas is a busy hub, generating funding of $8M annually for Ooch’s programs. The Senior Development Officer (SDO), Philanthropy, is a critical part of the Camp Oochigeas’ Development Department, who is accountable for overseeing strategy, implementation and achievement of major gifts from individuals and foundations, including corporate foundations. The SDO, Philanthropy will be responsible for acquiring new major gift donors and securing multi-year pledge commitments. The SDO, Philanthropy will also provide support to the Chief Development Officer (CDO) and Director, Philanthropy, to help achieve the following:
- Advance the profile of Camp Oochigeas to donors, prospects and other stakeholders to inspire and secure gifts at the $10,000+ level and achieve annual growth targets of 10-20% to ensure sufficient resources to meet the organization’s current and future needs.
- Support Camp Oochigeas’ mission of providing kids with cancer and kids affected by childhood cancer with a unique opportunity for growth through challenging, fun, enriching and magical experiences.
- Participate in major gift revenue projections, forecasting and budget monitoring.
- Assist with business plan preparation and presentations.
- Work with colleagues in programs and finance to prepare donor investment and engagement opportunities.
Donor Development & Portfolio Management
- Act as primary relationship manager to an assigned portfolio of individual donors and prospects and foundations, including corporate foundations.
- Achieve individual fundraising targets for portfolio by developing strategies to actively engage new prospects, advance or re-engage existing relationships with major donors. Grow major gift revenue and acquire new donors.
- Support and work closely with department management to actively engage new prospects and build strategic moves for existing relationships with major gift donors ($10K+) and transformational gift donors ($500K+)
- Work collaboratively with and in support of volunteers and other Ooch representatives in cultivating and soliciting gifts.
Communications & Proposal Development
- Working in conjunction with Marketing and Communications on the development of written proposals for gift solicitations and communications with donors and prospects.
- Develop targeted solicitation strategies, customized proposals, briefing documents, and presentations to secure major gifts. Contribute to proactive research and participate in ongoing prospect identification, review, research and clearance.
- Represent Camp Oochigeas at select meetings and events to support fund development initiatives.
Donor Relations and Stewardship
- Participate in events and functions related to major giving.
- Connect with donors and fundraising volunteers on a regular basis to share news, updates, impact reports, and invitations; provide customized correspondence and experiences.
- Work with Donor Relations to create and implement stewardship and recognition strategies.
- Foster relationships with a diverse community of donors.
- Pro-actively model a “donor-Centered” ethos, helping to advance a culture of philanthropy throughout the organization.
- Contribute to the organization’s major gifts tracking and activity reporting through disciplined and rigorous use of Raiser’s Edge software by maintaining current records of all solicitation and cultivation activities in database.
- Maintain current records of all donor activities in database.
- Maintain and provide timely and accurate reports on prospect activity and pledges, including call reports.
- Ensure that all gifts are received in accordance with Canada Revenue Agency regulations and Camp Oochigeas’ gift acceptance policies.
Experience and Qualifications
- University degree or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a Major Gifts and Campaign fundraising environment.
- Demonstrated track record in major gifts cultivation and solicitation of five and six figure gifts from individual donors, foundations and/or corporate partners.
- Must possess the ability to think strategically, work independently and as a member of a team in driving new initiatives or enhancing existing programs.
- Superior communication skills (both written and verbal) and well developed interpersonal skills.
- Experience working senior/fundraising volunteers.
- Extensive experience working with Raiser’s Edge or a similar database.
- Experience presenting in a public forum.
- Current driver’s license.
- Current police reference check and Vulnerable Sector screening.
- Ability to support set up and hosting for special events.
- An understanding of the power of camp.
- Experience with development communications and writing for a major donor audience.
- Experience with campaign fundraising. Demonstrated commitment to volunteerism or volunteer sector.
- Experience with corporate philanthropy.
Well organized, strong sense of ownership, sound judgment, enthusiastic, collaborative, passionate, personable, adaptable, diplomatic, attention to detail, able to work in an open concept office environment, and a strong interest in fundraising for children with special needs and exceptionalities.
Particular Working Conditions
- The position involves some evening and weekend commitments.
- In consideration of those we serve, the SDO, Philanthropy is a non-smoker.
- The job is performed in a generally hazard free office environment and in a clean atmosphere. Some lifting of up to 30 pounds, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of materials to/from meetings or presentations is involved.
This position offers a competitive salary, full benefits package, vacation, professional development, and performance based increases.
Please send a cover letter, resume and expected salary to firstname.lastname@example.org with the email subject reading 2019021 – SDO, Philanthropy
Mail is also acceptable and needs to be addressed to the attention of:
464 Bathurst St.
Toronto, ON M5T 2S6
No phone calls please
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. For more information about Camp Oochigeas, please visit www.ooch.org
Equal Employment Opportunity
Camp Oochigeas invites applications from all qualified individuals. Camp Oochigeas is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. In accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
Upon request, Camp Oochigeas will provide to applicants with disabilities, accommodations that take into account the applicants’ accessibility needs, in order to facilitate participation in the recruitment, assessment, selection and hiring stages. To apply please send a cover letter and resume via email to the Human Resources Department.