Posted On: 2020-01-21
Closing On: 2020-02-18
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
We hear it again and again. From patients. From physicians. From nurses. From donors. There’s a spirit of relentlessness at St. Michael’s Hospital. It’s a never-say-no attitude, a willingness to go beyond. It’s why St. Michael’s is legendary for taking on some of the world’s toughest health challenges. It’s why we are leaders in so many areas of medicine — multiple sclerosis, cystic fibrosis, ophthalmology, critical care, trauma, minimally-invasive cardiac care, neurosurgery, urban health, neonatal care — and the list goes on and on. It’s a unique attitude that cuts across every department, and it is ever-present at St. Michael’s Hospital Foundation.
We are hiring an Philanthropy Officer to join a team of powerful, relentless, compassionate communicators and fundraisers who are ushering in the next era of medical innovation and discovery.
At St. Michael’s Hospital, “can’t” is not in our vocabulary. By joining our Foundation, you will become part of a fun, fierce and dynamic team, supporting a global research and patient care powerhouse that takes on some of the toughest health care challenges anywhere.
We are St. Michael’s, and we stop at nothing.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop an understanding of the educational, research, clinical and financial needs and goals of SMH.
- Work in partnership with senior management to facilitate maximum private sector support for the Hospital.
- Engage regularly with Hospital leadership, physicians and staff to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward major gift donors.
- Lead development and execution of major gifts and pledges focusing on gifts of $10,000 to $250,000.
- Manage a group of 100 - 150 prospects (identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship) using a focused and accountable approach of strategy development and implementation.
- Identify potential partners and develop strategies to solicit those prospects and steward their gifts, including written materials such as cases for support, proposals, and scripts.
- Liaise with annual fund & planned giving staff to ensure that major gift fundraising is coordinated with their initiatives.
- Liaise with communications staff to develop proposals and stewardship reports.
- Liaise with prospect researcher to identify prospects that are appropriate matches for priority areas.
- Prepare activity reports (includes: names of donors to recruit/visit, solicitation calls, cultivation calls).
- Ensure tracking and data input are maintained for assigned portfolio.
- Work closely with Donor Relations & Stewardship to determine the best strategies for effective stewardship of donors.
- Assist in the development of and ensure the appropriateness and quality of all necessary materials, proposals, cases for support, letters, reports and acknowledgements for cultivation and stewardship of donors.
- Work with gift processing to ensure that acknowledgements, tax receipts, invitations, and other correspondence are sent in a timely manner
- Work with senior management to identify and recruit volunteer leaders.
- Supervise, coordinate and effectively engage volunteers in the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donors.
- Liaise with assigned groups and committees to provide guidance and leadership and ensure adherence to the priority assessment/adjudication process of the Hospital.
- Assist in the preparation of an annual plan of measurable goals and strategies (including precise and practical deadlines), to maximize major gifts to the organization.
- Provide input respecting major gift fundraising that can be incorporated into the overall SMHF Philanthropy Plan.
- Work with colleagues to plan and execute proposals, and targeted communications for current and potential major gift donors.
- Work as a team player promoting a positive and professional work environment and conduct role with integrity and respect.
- Act as an Ambassador throughout the Community, positively representing the Hospital and the Foundation.
- Abide by the policies and procedures of SMH and SMF.
- Abide by the Occupational Health and Safety Act, and work in a manner that is safe, reporting incidents immediately to direct supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned in order to meet the overall goals and objectives of the Foundation.
- Operate within the culture and core values of the organization.
- A university degree or a combination of comparable skills and experience.
- Must have a minimum of 4 years of experience working in fundraising.
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Experience in creating and presenting compelling proposals to donors.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and very strong person to person relationship-building skills.
- Ability to work with senior leaders, physicians, and other foundations effectively and collaboratively.
- Basic understanding of healthcare delivery system in Ontario.
- Ability to attain financial and program goals within prescribed timelines.
- Experience working with volunteers and volunteer committees/boards in a wide range of capacities.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple and changing demands.
- Proven ability to exercise diplomacy and good judgment.
- Keen understanding of current finance and accounting principles in the not-for-profit sector.
- Exemplary attention to detail with excellent planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work independently using an above average level of initiative.
- Ability to work as part of a fundraising team.
- Proficient in the use of all corporate productivity tools including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Internet Explorer as well as Raiser’s Edge or other donor database management systems.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of the mission and values of S Michael’s Hospital.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekend
Please apply through our online portal