Posted On: 2020-01-27
Closing On: 2020-02-28
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Title: Governance Officer
Reporting Relationship: Vice President, Chief Financial Officer
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre is inventing the future of health care with a focus on trauma, cardiac, stroke, high-risk pregnancy, newborns, cancer, and brain sciences. Sunnybrook Foundation exists to raise awareness and the funds required to ensure that Sunnybrook achieves its mission.
The Governance Officer works in close collaboration with the Vice President, Chief Financial Officer to support the governance and finance functions as well as senior volunteers in the following areas: Board of Directors; Board committees; Governing Council; and the orientation and engagement of new leaders. The Governance Officer will strive to ensure that all Foundation volunteers enjoy a meaningful experience that results in the Foundation becoming a volunteer destination of choice.
Board & Committee Support:
- Acting in accordance with the Foundation’s by-laws, facilitate the scheduling of board and committee meetings, delivery of notice of meetings, monitor quorum requirements, and tracking of attendance.
- In consultation with the lead person for each committee, draft agendas, book meeting rooms and catering/equipment needs, gather required materials, and prepare and distribute meeting packages.
- Provide support to the board and committees in the development of materials for future meetings.
- Coordinate meetings with committee chairs and committee members
- For board and committee meetings, interact with Hospital security and IT to ensure meeting rooms are prepared in advance with all related materials, computers, and AV equipment in place and operational.
- Communicate with, respond to queries, and provide support to board and committee members in between meetings.
- Attend board meetings, greet board members, provide assistance to board members, maintain name cards for all board members, transcribe minutes of board meetings, and identify and follow-up on action items.
- Attend committee meetings (as required), transcribe minutes of committee meetings, prepare reports to Hospital Board, and identify, track, and follow-up on action items.
- Coordinate details with guests attending board and committee meetings.
- Maintain the tenure and timelines related to each board and committee member for succession planning purposes.
- Provide governance related information and materials to the individual(s) responsible for Hospital governance.
- Clean up and maintain network drives where central files and documents are maintained for board and committee meetings.
Annual General Meeting:
- In preparation for the Annual General Meeting (AGM), arrange support from the Events and Stewardship teams to support the implementation of the AGM.
- Develop a work-back schedule to address all matters relating to the AGM at the appropriate time of the year.
- Facilitate specific details leading up to the AGM, including the development of speaking notes and presentations.
- In advance of, and at the AGM, ensure everyone is aware of their role in supporting the AGM to ensure an orderly flow and transition from one stage to the next.
- Attend the AGM, transcribe minutes of the meeting, and identify and follow-up on action items.
- Facilitate all documents relating to the Annual Organizational Meeting and transcribe minutes of the meeting.
- In conjunction with the Vice President, Chief Financial Officer, provide ongoing support to senior management in the area of volunteer development through the implementation of a volunteer management strategy that includes onboarding, orientation, signing confidentiality agreements, providing parking passes, arranging hospital tours, and supporting committee placement.
- On an annual basis, update documents and assist in the execution of a volunteer orientation process that introduces new board/committee members to the Foundation.
- Assist with updating and creating biographies for existing and subsequent new board member joining the Foundation.
- Assist in the monitoring of volunteer groups to measure the cultural, gender, age, and diversity of business experience.
- Assist in the development of annual board evaluation surveys, prepare survey for distribution, and assist in the collection and summarization of data to respond to feedback.
- Facilitate volunteers having access to information required for board and committee meetings.
Support to Finance Team:
- Manage the Vice President, Chief Financial Officer’s calendar and coordinate meetings with various stakeholders
- Respond to requests for meetings from Foundation and Hospital staff
- Coordinate internal and external meetings for the Finance team
- Review and preparation of correspondence and reports
- Preparation of presentations for management, committee and board meetings
- Respond to internal and external inquiries regarding correspondence, reports and presentations
- Assists Vice President, Chief Financial Officer as required; including miscellaneous duties/projects, follow-up action, briefing notes and donor data entry
- Coordinates meetings as required
- Manages Vice President, Chief Financial Officer’s calendar, travel, expenses and contact list
- Attend meetings, take and transcribe minutes, prepare reports and follow-up on action items
- Performs other administrative duties as assigned
Skills & Abilities Required:
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and foster relationships
- Ability to interact with and respond to different types of volunteers
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail and awareness of deadlines
- Excellent time management skills Ability to maintain and demonstrate professionalism
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills Ability to work within a team and independently on projects
- Ability to multi-task, solve problems and be results-oriented
- College or university degree, or related experience
- Minimum of three years professional experience in a not-for-profit, governance or volunteer resources role
- Strong computer skills, including advanced level of proficiency in MS Office, in particular Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Awareness of various database systems
- Working knowledge of Raiser’s Edge and Sharepoint would be an asset
Sunnybrook Foundation is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodations for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please indicate this in your cover letter.
Please send your cover letters and resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org