Posted On: 2020-01-31
Closing On: 2020-02-28
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Since 1981, Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC) Toronto has served as a place to call home for families with seriously ill children undergoing treatment. RMHC Toronto encompasses a House for 81 families in downtown Toronto and seven Family Rooms in hospitals across the Greater Toronto Area and in Sudbury. The families we serve – 4,735 last year alone – come from throughout Ontario, across Canada and around the world.
We are looking for a Development Manager to join our team in Toronto.
About the opportunity:
The Development Manager is responsible for leading the development team to achieve ambitious revenue targets for RMHC Toronto through evaluating revenue streams, communications and fundraising activities to ensure alignment with the overall Fundraising Strategy. Reporting to the Director of Development & Communications, the Development Manager is responsible for developing the existing structure of RMHC Toronto’s fundraising efforts and growing revenue significantly and sustainably. This role will also support and integrate the RMHC Toronto brand and build external relationships with the organization's various audiences and constituencies, including donors, the media and the general public.
What will you be doing?
- Key contributor in the development of an integrated annual fundraising plan and lead its implementation;
- Act as a primary relationship manager to a portfolio of donors and prospects aimed at meeting the revenue goals of the organization as established in the Board approved Budget and the Strategic Plan;
- Achieve individual fundraising targets for portfolio by developing strategies to actively engage new prospects, and advance or re-engage existing relationships;
- Contribute ideas in creating meaningful donor recognition opportunities for RMHC Toronto based on best-practice and critical thinking, optimize the unique giving vehicles and collateral of RMHC Toronto as identified;
- Work with the Director to assess and identify key funding needs for proposals that will inspire donors to support RMHC Toronto;
- Work collaboratively with the Development Team to ensure successful execution of fundraising and stewardship strategies, programs and to maximize revenue;
- Manage the development and implementation of multi-channel campaigns across the donor journey – including acquisition, repeat giving, upgrading, retention, annual giving, mid-level, monthly, legacy/planned giving and major gifts;
- Manage and steward relationships with potential, current and past donors and partners.
Supervision, Administration and Expense Management
- Actively assess and develop talent within the team, ensuring staff have the training, tools and resources to meet performance standards;
- Adhere to industry best practices. Develop, implement and monitor compliance with fundraising policies and procedures;
- Support and demonstrate leadership in representing RMHC Toronto with integrity, nimbleness, positivity and diplomacy;
- Work collaboratively across teams and departments in the achievement of the organization’s mission and vision;
- Manage annual budget associated with department related costs.
Program Management, Reporting & Data Analysis
- Evaluate revenue streams, communications and fundraising activities to ensure alignment with the overall Fundraising Strategy;
- Identify and monitor progress and generate reports on key metrics identified by Director and Board;
- Plan, develop, manage and evaluate all aspects of fund development, including but not limited to, digital campaigns, third party events, cause marketing, direct mail, grant applications, special events, major gifts, sponsorships, bequests and other fund development initiatives;
- Adhere to annual reporting cycle and tracking for all proposals;
- Work to ensure relevant databases are kept accurate and current;
- Data driven thinker with ability to identify and respond to issues and opportunities in a timely manner; must be able to assess the data and construct the story.
- Maintain comprehensive donor records utilizing a CRM database (Raisers Edge/RE NXT);
- Remain apprised of emerging charitable sector trends and legislation and ensures organizational compliance;
- Perform other related duties as assigned;
- Maintain close working relationships with management team regarding organizational priorities;
- Escalate and inform the necessary parties of any issues that require attention in a timely manner;
- Other duties as may be assigned.
If you have the following background:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, with a focus in fundraising, marketing, sales or other applicable disciplines;
- Seasoned fundraising professional with a track record in revenue generation, marketing and communications;
- Demonstrated success in leading and managing a team including coaching, mentoring, training, managing, motivating and hiring employees;
- Experience with best practices in building a strong collaborative team and mentoring / training others;
- Experience developing and implementing fundraising strategies;
- Knowledge of principles and techniques related to donor acquisition and retention, major gift fundraising, annual campaigns, monthly giving, planned giving and corporate giving;
- Demonstrated ability to achieve aggressive fundraising goals;
- Experience with Budget management;
- Strong analytical mindset; ability to take information and summarize to relevant points;
- Strong relationship management capabilities with an ability to influence/coach;
- Proven ability to build new and long-term relationships with prospects, donors and volunteers;
- Strong strategic acumen and ability to translate strategy into actionable plans for directing new initiatives or enhancing existing programs;
- Effective problem solver with initiative to be innovative and creative with developing new ideas and concepts;
- Strong ability to balance competing priorities, complex situations and tight deadlines;
- Demonstrated experience identifying, securing and stewarding gifts and sponsorships;
- Strong degree of comfort with ambiguity, able to translate strategy into tactical recommendations;
- Understanding of Canada Revenue Agency tax receipting rules and guidelines;
- Proficient in MS Office and experience with Raisers Edge/RE NXT;
- CFRE designation an asset;
- Experience in the non-profit sector an asset.
And the following personal attributes:
- Superior presentation and verbal and written communication skills; dynamic team player;
- Exemplary collaboration and interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships;
- Organized, detailed oriented, with strong follow through;
- Committed to team-based environments;
- Excellent project management skills, information-capture and follow-through;
- The ability to work in a fast-paced environment, prioritize and multi-task;
- Ability to work independently to tight deadlines while balancing multiple and sometimes conflicting demands from various stakeholders;
- Ability to translate strategy into actionable plans;
- A strong desire to make a difference in the lives of children, families and the community;
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including evenings and occasional weekends.
We want to hear from you!
Like what you’re hearing so far, but still wondering if RMHC is right for you? We offer:
- A competitive compensation & health benefits package;
- RRSP Program;
- Wellness days;
- An opportunity to make a difference in the lives of children, families and the community.
Interested in being a part of the Ronald McDonald House Charities team? Does this sound like you? If so, we look forward to your application!
Ronald McDonald House Charities Toronto embraces diversity and encourages all qualified applicants to apply.
Please inform us if you require any accommodations during the hiring process. Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. If you are interested in this position, please submit your resume using the link below:
The successful candidate will need to undergo a successful Vulnerable Sector Screening Police check.