The Dalhousie Medical Research Foundation (DMRF) provides critical support to local health research by fundraising to attract the best resources available to bolster their leading-edge work. Whether it’s talent, equipment, training, or space, DMRF exists to strengthen this research to positively impact health outcomes regionally, nationally, and internationally. Collaboration is vital to our success and we nurture strong relationships with research institutes locally, and across geographic borders, who share our quest for innovative outcomes. Our close relationship with Dalhousie University and the Medical, Health and Dentistry researchers offers a rich platform of robust research for our support. Our Board of Directors includes local, national, and international members who enhance our ability to have greater depth of knowledge, expertise, and diversity. Our members care passionately about health research and its potential to improve the health outcomes of people in this community and beyond.
In 1979, a group of business and community leaders, along with members of Dalhousie’s Faculty of Medicine, came together because they believed in the power of medical research to change and save lives - they also believed our region could and should be a leader in medical research excellence; DMRF was formed. Forty years later, DMRF has raised tens of millions of dollars, and supported hundreds of world-class researchers by endowing projects, training leaders in health research, building partnerships, and funding new discoveries. This is changing health outcomes locally, and all over the world.
We are currently seeking an enthusiastic and motivated Development Officer to advance the fundraising initiatives to fund the medical research we support. Reporting to the Director, Philanthropy, and working closely with the entire DMRF team, the Development Officer plays a vital role in securing philanthropic support, to achieve our DMRF ambitious goals.
Reporting to the Director of Philanthropy, the Development Officer is responsible for identifying and implementing fund development strategies for DMRF’s priority projects.
As a DMRF fundraiser, the Development Officer will work with a high degree of autonomy, collaborating and working closely with the entire DMRF team. The Development Officer will serve as an enthusiastic, professional public ambassador for DMRF and the researchers we support.
Core to the Development Officer’s role is to directly identify, qualify, engage, and cultivate prospective donors and to solicit gifts of $25,000 or more on behalf of DMRF.
The Development Officer will be responsible for:
- Implementing strategies and initiatives consistent with DMRF’s objectives, both internally and externally, and building strong relationships with individuals and organizations.
- Maintain a portfolio of active donors and manage prospective donors with major gift capacity, with an emphasis on timely and accurate moves management practices.
- Follow established best practices and procedures, consistent with DMRF’s policies.
- Achieving an annual personal performance objective as established through planning. • Designing, implementing, managing, and evaluating strategies and tactics to solicit specific major gifts from individuals, corporations, and foundations.
- Managing 100 - 150 major gift prospects (individuals, organizations, and corporations) annually. The Development Officer will be in regular contact with these prospects and record all actions in the database.
- Developing and executing the full scope of relationship management related activities, including prospect discovery, cultivation, solicitation, recognition, and stewardship of prospects.
- Collaborating closely with DMRF’s Donor Relationship Manager in developing a comprehensive stewardship plan (acknowledgement and recognition) in order to maximize a donor’s future giving. This means ensuring that a highly personal approach is taken with every contact made with a donor or prospect by the University.
To be successful in this role, the Development Officer will possess the following traits:
- A keen interest in medical research and improving health outcomes
- Passion, energy, and drive
- Intelligence and curiosity
- Professional and personable
- Ambitious, goal-oriented, and goal driven
- Intellectual and social curiosity • Strategic in thought and activity
- Excellent information distillation and translational abilities
- Committed and organized
- Resilient and perseverant
- A confident closer; direct and straightforward
- A team player, visible and accessible
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends; must be willing and able to travel locally, regionally, and occasionally nationally.
- A sense-of-humour would be considered an asset
- Three to five years of face-to-face fundraising experience is strongly preferred, including cultivation, solicitation, stewardship and relationship management
- Proficiency with PC computers, Raisers Edge, Microsoft Office Suite, and an ability to adapt to related software programs with ease is essential
- Ability to balance competing priorities and tight deadlines while simultaneously focusing on larger goals
- Confidence, professionalism and the interpersonal effectiveness to work co-operatively with the entire DMRF team
- Capacity for innovation and self-motivated, independent action
- Enthusiastic attitude toward learning
- CFRE designation would be an asset
Work With Us
We are a strong team with a passion for not only advancing health research outcomes, but for a work environment that is supportive, hardworking and fun. Now, more than ever, the world has seen the power health research has to affect the health and wellness of each of us. If you are looking to advance your development acumen by working with a gifted and talented team, in a culture that encourages growth and professional development, DMRF is the place for you. At DMRF, your voice will be heard. We value your knowledge and expertise and will be looking to you to you advise us on the latest and greatest development best practices. We encourage you to come to our table, ready to share your experience and enthusiasm!
DMRF also is pleased to offer an excellent health benefits and RRSP plan.
Interested parties should forward a cover letter, current CV, and contact information to:
Alyssa Grace, Director, Philanthropy
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.