Posted On: 2020-08-24
Closing On: 2020-09-21
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
The Director of Development is a newly created role, which reports to the Chief Development & Marketing Officer and works collaboratively with Marketing, Project Management, and Finance groups. The Director of Development will manage a team focused on major, mid-level, corporate and foundation grants, gift-in-kind, and estate giving programs. This leadership position will provide strategy development, program implementation, and growth through prospective donor identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship. They will hold their own portfolio of major gifts donors by building and nurturing strong positive relationships. They will lead their team to increase the level of giving and attract new supporters in order to strategically build the priorities of The Scott Mission.
The Scott Mission is a Christian ministry of mercy and love. It aims to meet the needs of people with love and compassion and seek to bring spiritual, physical, and emotional wholeness to their lives.
The Scott Mission was founded in 1941 by Rev. Morris and Mrs. Annie Zeidman as a non-denominational Christian organization responding to the needs of the poor, homeless, abandoned and vulnerable of all ages. Based in Toronto, the Mission offers practical, emotional and spiritual support to thousands of people every year.
While religious belief and practice are never conditions for receiving help and assistance, and everyone is welcome regardless of faith background, The Scott Mission is committed to the spiritual well-being of all people through the life and witness of Jesus Christ. Their hope is for everyone to have a personal relationship with Jesus, and to express this relationship in a life of integrity and in acts of compassion toward others.
The Mission is privately funded and employs over 100 dedicated staff at 502 Spadina Avenue, Toronto, its Family Centre in East York, the Collingwood Retreat Centre and its Summer Camp in Caledon.
Building on the vision of its founders, The Scott Mission has remained Christ-centred in all its programs and services. It was Morris and Annie Zeidman’s belief that the hunger of the soul needed to be addressed as well as the hunger of the physical body.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience:
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- A pro-active builder with a minimum 10 - 12 years of experience in the not-for-profit sector
- Capital campaign experience: 1 – 2 campaigns
- Progressive management and mentoring experience (minimum 7 years)
- As an individual contributor, brings deep major gifts experience identifying, cultivating and securing gifts at mid-level giving (~$10,000), and/or planned giving programs. Track record of leading own portfolio of 75 – 100 donor prospects
- Experience leading a robust pipeline of donors
- Experience with and working knowledge of Raiser’s Edge
- Well-developed computer skills (Excel, Word and Outlook)
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of and operating according to the AFP guidelines & Donor Bill of Rights
- Sound understanding of and experience operating within CRA and CCCC guidelines, that relate to financial and gift-in-kind donations and donor recognition
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated commitment to accountability, measuring outcomes in a results-oriented culture
- Excellent organizational skills
- Polished presentation skills
- University degree
- CFRE designation preferred
- Ongoing professional development
This search is being conducted on behalf of The Scott Mission by crawfordconnect, a search firm specializing in recruiting leaders and fundraisers for Canada’s non-profit sector.
This search is being conducted on behalf of The Scott Mission by crawfordconnect, a search firm specializing in recruiting leaders and fundraisers for Canada’s non-profit sector. Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume and letter of interest online, through our website, in confidence.
To submit your application by September 21, 2020, please visit: http://crawfordconnect.com/for-candidates/job-openings/. Select the role and ‘Apply’ to upload your cover letter and resume in two separate documents. Issues with applying? Please email email@example.com.
For more information about the position, please contact Janice Wooster at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416.388.4049 / 1.866.647.5149. We thank all applicants for applying, however, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
If someone you know may be interested in this position, please feel free to forward this document – we’d be pleased to connect with them.