Posted On: 2020-09-10
Closing On: 2020-09-24
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Home to over 40 departments and institutes, the University of Toronto's Faculty of Medicine lies at the heart of the Toronto Academic Health Science Network and is a global leader in ground-breaking research and education, spanning clinical medicine, basic science and the rehabilitation sciences sectors.
World-class talent, interdisciplinary excellence and meaningful collaboration are the hallmarks of the University of Toronto’s Faculty of Medicine. As the research and educational hub within Toronto's robust health sciences network, we are uniquely positioned for impact. We have been on the forefront of life-changing health research and innovation for more than a century and continue to solve the world’s most pressing medical challenges.
The Faculty of Medicine’s Advancement Office is critical to this success. As leading advancement professionals, we are committed to excellence and take pride in connecting alumni, volunteers and donors to Faculty initiatives. We value integrity, creativity, excellence, gratitude, accountability, learning and being purposeful. Through our work, we play a tangible role in shaping and advancing the future of health and healthcare.
As Senior Development Officer, Major Gifts, you will lead major gift fundraising for mental health and the Department of Psychiatry. As one of the largest Departments of Psychiatry in the world, we serve as a catalyst for progress - mobilizing partners and resources to improve the outcome of those living with mental illness. The future of psychiatry is happening here in Toronto. It lives in our Department and it promises to be bright and progressive. In collaboration with faculty members, volunteers and the university community, you will bring a skilled and process-driven approach to identifying, cultivating and soliciting donors at the major gift level ($25,000+).
Your responsibilities will include:
- Identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors (individuals, corporations and foundations)
- Working with academic, research and clinical experts to identify funding opportunities
- Building successful relationships with prospective and current donors that lead to philanthropic investment
- Aligning institutional priorities with donor interests and developing strategies that ensure a strong and sustainable donor pipeline
- Developing tailored and compelling fundraising opportunities that support the strategic initiatives
- Building strong relationships within the Advancement team and across the university, and contributing to a culture of collegiality and collaboration
- Writing project-specific fundraising proposals
- Writing briefing notes, solicitation plans and call reports to track donor interaction
- Bachelor's Degree or acceptable combination of equivalent experience
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a fundraising role with a proven track record of success
- Demonstrated major gift development experience (gifts of $25,000 and above)
- Experience working with senior level volunteers, researchers or clinicians
- Highly developed computer skills working with MS Office; databases; and content management systems
- Ability to work in a fast paced and results oriented environment
- Proven ability to motivate others, i.e. volunteers, team members, donors
- Strong team player who values collaboration
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication (written and verbal) skills
- Strong organizational, analytical and relationship building skills
- Evidence of leadership and initiative, tact, diplomacy, attention to detail and, creativity
- Demonstrated ability to operate effectively in complex multi-stakeholder environments such as education and healthcare, working with academics and physicians whose vision for changing the world demands both excellence and results
- Knowledge of the Faculty of Medicine and experience based in a University and/or hospital setting
To be successful in this role you will be:
- Goal oriented
- Team player
INterested candidates please apply online.