WINDMILL MICROLENDING (Windmill)
Converting Potential into Prosperity
Named in 2019 by The Logic as one of Canada’s ten most innovative charities, Windmill empowers skilled immigrants to achieve economic prosperity through microloans and supports.
Windmill Microlending is an entrepreneurial charity on the cusp of significant growth.
The pandemic has highlighted the acute importance of three issues to Canadians’ health and prosperity, and brought these to the forefront of many funders’ minds:
- The need to increase the supply of nurses, epidemiologists and other healthcare practitioners to reduce labour shortages, in the most cost effective and timely way possible. With 61% of clients in the healthcare field, Windmill offers an innovative, proven solution to this problem.
- The need to reduce unemployment and poverty, while supporting financial resilience of vulnerable populations. Windmill’s unique combination of coaching supports and affordable credit, are powerful tools for improving financial literacy, debt management skills and credit history. With client support services delivered virtually across Canada, Windmill is a valuable partner to banks, government and other funders with a vested interest in financial resilience. Clients’ average income increase of 3.6x demonstrates Windmill’s dramatic impact.
- The need to support a more inclusive economy that welcomes and empowers visible minorities, newcomers, and women. Windmill is a charity that was founded on social justice values whose time have come.
Windmill has been growing quietly for 15 years and is preparing to launch a national campaign that will raise its profile, inspire supporters and play a key role in supporting the economic integration of skilled newcomers in Canada’s post-pandemic recovery. Our new National Director of Philanthropy & Investment will play a significant leadership role in this national building work.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the National Director, Philanthropy & Investment is responsible for growing funding for Windmill, allowing the organization to scale up to serve thousands of skilled immigrants each year.
Working closely with the CEO, the Director is responsible for the development, implementation, and management of Windmill’s revenue philanthropy & investment strategy, raising funds for operations and loan capital, through donations, grants and community bonds. The Director will provide counsel on the feasibility of a large national campaign and may also work to support the application of Windmill’s microlending model to help with the resettlement of refugees.
Emphasis will be on the following: 10% fundraising and campaign strategy; 20% building and managing a robust donor pipeline; 30% donor cultivation and stewardship; 15% developing government relations and funding opportunities; 15% managing and leading a four-person philanthropy & Investment team; 10% partnering with the CEO, Campaign Cabinet, and executive team.
- Develop a national fundraising and campaign strategy and plan that includes gifts from individuals, corporations, foundations, and government.
- Create a philanthropic environment that engages all key stakeholders, Prosperity Cabinet, Board, staff and clients.
- Identify, cultivate, steward, and recognize donors, corporate sponsors, community bond investors, pro bono supporters, and other partners and public-sector funders.
- Work closely with the CEO and key volunteer leaders to help manage, grow, and cultivate major gift donors, focusing on increasing numbers of prospects, gifts and multi-year pledges.
- Plan and implement effective cultivation and stewardship events, including twice-yearly webinars with the support of other members of the Leadership Team.
- Support efforts to secure, renew and grow funding arrangements with provincial and federal governments, and manage staff focused on proposal writing, project implementation, and reporting.
- Grow, nurture and support the Prosperity Cabinet.
- Work with the Client Success and Marketing team to develop an annual giving program for Windmill alumni. Work closely and collaboratively with the National Director, Marketing and Communications, to develop high impact fundraising collateral materials.
- Coach, mentor, and motivate philanthropy & investment staff, ensuring everyone has metrics, deliverables and resources to meet their objectives.
You have an ambitious growth mindset and relish the prospect of playing a key role in the evolution of a dynamic, entrepreneurial, high-impact charity. You share our passion for helping skilled immigrants prosper, for reducing poverty in Canada, and for helping to create inclusive prosperity. You share our values of passion, empowerment, simplicity, and results. Ideally you come to the role with a shared immigrant experience.
As the ideal candidate, you are a talented and energetic fundraising professional, experienced in major gift fundraising with individuals, foundations, corporations, and government, as well as in leading a large national campaign. You are a strategic thinker with the ability to create a plan and set priorities for both yourself and your team.
You are an excellent manager and leadership team member who works collaboratively with your colleagues and direct reports, and acts as a role model and mentor through your professionalism, work ethic, collegiality, and warmth. In leadership team meetings, you are comfortable articulating and defending a point of view that is not shared by your colleagues and supervisor, and having your thinking challenged and stretched by them. You are a great listener as well as a great communicator in meetings, and can support team decisions unreservedly, whichever way they go.
You relish the opportunity to work with a CEO who shares your enthusiasm and energy for fundraising and works closely with you and your team to support a donor centered approach.
Being a successful member of Windmill’s staff and leadership team means you are a positive and motivating individual who is always challenging yourself and your team to be the best.
Highly driven and results oriented, you bring solutions based on analytics as well as creative thinking. You have a track record as a great team player, mentor, and friend. You are empathic and supportive as well as results oriented. Your experience has given you the ability to embrace others’ ideas and evaluate what ideas will have the most impact for the organization. Your maturity, self-awareness, diplomacy, and emotional intelligence will be powerful assets in a broad role that touches all aspects of the organization.
- A fundraising professional with 8-plus years of experience in the field and a track record in major gift (individual, corporate, foundation) giving and campaign leadership.
- Experience building strategic fundraising plans, including capital campaign planning.
- Proven track record closing large national major gifts and creating and managing a well-organized and qualified donor pipeline.
- Experience identifying key opportunities for donors that move an organization forward while also building operational funding capacity.
- A track record managing, motivating, and inspiring a small team of philanthropy & investment and support staff.
- A skilled communicator with an ability to engage and motivate donors, partners, volunteers, staff, board members, and investors.
- A roll-up-your-sleeves team player, eager to embrace and execute new ideas in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Excellent English writing, speaking, and presentation skills.
- Proven ability to achieve results and meet deadlines.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills, and keen attention to detail.
- Highly motivated to address labour market integration challenges faced by internationally trained/educated immigrants.
- Ability to communicate comfortably in French is an asset.
- Familiarity with social finance and crowd-sourced funding is an asset.
In addition to having a compelling and unique product offering for clients and donors, Windmill has an impressive 15-year track record of client impact. Our Net Promoter Score from clients is +94, an extraordinary result for an organization in any sector. In addition, Windmill is a highly collaborative work environment, where staff satisfaction scores are high. Recently, during the stressful Covid-19 pandemic, the entire staff, without senior executive knowledge, made a presentation to thank management for their leadership, highlighting why they love working at Windmill. A smart, nimble and dedicated staff; a highly functioning, collaborative leadership team; and 25% year over year growth are but a few of the reasons Windmill is an excellent place to work.
We thank all candidates in advance. We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview. To apply, please submit, in confidence, a resumé along with a cover letter that sets out your interest in the role and highlights your relevant experience. The preferred method of application is online at searchsmartconnect.com/jobs