Posted On: 2020-10-07
Closing On: 2020-10-30
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Job Description: Director, Marketing & Communications
Do you see yourself in an energized organization which plays a key role in caring for generations of families? Do you thrive in a setting where marketing, creativity and teamwork frame your day-to-day activities? Are you a leader in developing digital and social strategies? Are you a good planner and able to juggle many projects at one time and get them all done? Are you a roll-up your shirt sleeves type of person who can think strategically but also deliver projects on time and on budget? Have you had people management experience? Are you forward thinker who can’t wait to make an impact on health care philanthropy by bringing your experience and imagination to an iconic institution? Do you want to be a part of a team that is keen to move an organization forward, and make a difference in the lives of over half a million people?
If you said yes to these, then North York General Foundation wants you.
About North York General Foundation
Constantly redefining what it means to be a ‘community hospital’, North York General Hospital (NYGH) is a multi-site acute, ambulatory and long term care network for our diverse community, an incubator for applied research, an innovation spring board in the health care landscape and destination for philanthropy. At North York General Foundation, our team of creative and dedicated professionals support raising and stewarding funds for our incredible Hospital. Building on the success of our $180 M ‘Campaign for North York General’, we are driving towards the future, planning and investing in programs and infrastructure that will transform how our Hospital delivers exceptional care to our growing community. Our brand has never been stronger, and our community has rallied to support our efforts to tackle COVID-19 in unprecedented ways.
In a highly competitive landscape, the incumbent will provide the oversight and superb execution of all marketing and communications in support of North York General Foundation's mission and annual fundraising efforts. Reporting to the Vice President Communications and Donor Experience, they will build, manage and mentor their communications team while developing integrated short-and long-term strategies and plans supported by detailed budgets, identified measurable targets and performance goals.
- Work closely with the VP to support brand building of NYGH and provide communications support across all revenue streams;
- Develop the full integrated communication strategy and materials, working with internal and external resources, to support fundraising priorities, campaigns, special initiatives/publications and events;
- Work collaboratively with Hospital’s Corporate Communications department and the VP of Communications and Donor Experience, to ensure alignment on shared communications priorities, to keep informed about each portfolio’s deliverables and identify synergies/opportunities;
- Build brand equity for the NYGH with our donors and community, in line with the hospital’s new strategic plan;
- Apply proven cost effective and result driven marketing approaches to all fundraising channels
- Manage all direct marketing campaigns, creative and content development and digital/social media platforms;
- Embrace and utilize data analytics to make better marketing, communication and revenue building decisions; and
- Embrace recently developed segmentation and move it into practical application in overall marketing communications, including direct marketing (digital and mail) and social media channels, to increase engagement, marketing effectiveness and revenue.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop in collaboration with the VP of Communications and Donor Experience, the annual Communications Business Plan including specific and measurable goals and outcomes;
- Support the VP of Communications in the creation and execution of all aspects of marketing and communications including brand development, advertising, promotion, experiential, collateral, market research and digital and social media;
- Manage and oversee all aspects of the Foundation main websites and associated sites and monitor trends and general usability to cope with changes;
- Develop, in collaboration with the VP of Communications, and the Communications team, robust growth plans in Foundation’s digital and social platforms including (including Google PPC campaigns, social advertising, etc.) to ensure ROI and growth across channels, as well as increase referral/conversion rates;
- Support leadership and development teams on their day-to-day fundraising and donor stewardship activities which include but are not limited to:
- draft speeches/speaking notes
- oversee and write donor impact and stewardship reports
- manage marketing communications (digital, social media and traditional mail) needs for Foundation signature events
- manage the Direct Response program including donor mailings, patient mailings and other acquisition projects
- support the growth of Tribute Programs through annual plan development and execution
- support the events portfolio with marketing and communications;
- Develop KPIs to evaluate marketing initiatives, including post-program analysis and course correction through review of budget variance, earned media, awareness, web, social share and other digital metrics and revenue generation;
- Participate in position relevant hospital groups and committees
- Stay on top on the NYGH achievements, goals and needs, as well as the dominant trends of philanthropists and potential philanthropists and leverage this intellectual capital in the pursuit of the organization's goals;
- Build and maintain a network of mutually beneficial relationships with key stakeholders to help facilitate the achievement of marketing, communications and organizational goals; and
- Manage three direct reports and provide coaching, mentorship, and evaluations and manage outside resources, where required.
Skills and Experience:
Our ideal candidate will have built, managed and mentored teams, developed strategic and integrated marketing communication plans supported with detailed budgets, identified measurable targets and performance goals. A deep understanding of digital and social media as vehicles for branding and fundraising is a must. Strong knowledge of direct marketing in both mail and digital required.
The candidate must be a strong communicator, writer and editor due to the oversight of key fundraising vehicles including an annual report, newsletters, proposals, reports, and speeches.
The role will be a combination of strategic communications thinking and hands-on execution. They must be a team player with the ability to build effective relationships across the organization and with internal and external audiences.
Additionally, the successful candidate will be able to translate complex topics into easy-to-understand messages and material and to target messages and themes to specific audience and segment requirements.
The ideal candidate will also have additional skills and experience in videography, script development and execution.
- University degree, ideally in journalism, business with a marketing focus or a degree where relevance can be demonstrated;
- Significant experience (over 10 years) in marketing, communications, with experience in the not-for-profit sector and/or health care preferred;
- Demonstrated success in the development and implementation of strategic marketing and communications plans, fundraising campaigns, direct marketing and social media campaigns, event launches and new initiatives;
- Demonstrated writing at a high level;
- Experience in a management role leading a team in a complex environment as well as proven experience in team performance assessment using appropriate metrics and reviews as well as ongoing coaching and accountability processes;
- Extraordinarily creative and innovative mind coupled with a highly effective communication style and persuasive abilities;
- Experience in budget development and management, marketing research and analytics, media (paid and earned), direct mail, experiential and digital marketing (paid and social)
- Able to establish and maintain productive relationships with a wide range of stakeholders, including subordinates, colleagues’ staff and volunteers -- within the Foundation and the hospital, community partners and the general public;
- Experience in the use of data analytics to inform and drive revenue, and enhance engagement and investment effectiveness;
- A proven track record in brand management and an ability to develop key messaging for the organization;
- A proactive individual with strong relationship building skills, the ability to work autonomously and to lead by example;
- Ability to work under pressure, plan, organize and prioritize work; and
- Enthusiasm for the mission of the hospital is essential
We offer a comprehensive compensation/benefits package, a professional working environment, and an opportunity to grow with an organization that is the employer of choice in the not-for-profit sector.
To apply for this role please forward your CV and Cover Letter to FoundationCareers@nygh.on.ca by Friday October 30th, 2020, at 4pm. Please reference “Director, Marketing & Communications” in the subject line.