Posted On: 2020-10-08
Closing On: 2020-10-30
Location: Toronto, ON
Effective: December 1, 2020
Employment Type: Full-Time
Development Campaign Manager
Who we are
Founded in 1986, Prosper Canada is a national charity dedicated to expanding economic opportunity for Canadians living in poverty through program and policy innovation. As Canada’s leading champion of financial empowerment, we work with government, business, and community partners to develop and promote financial policies, programs and resources that transform lives, reduce poverty, and foster the prosperity of all Canadians.
For more information, please visit: www.prospercanada.org
Prosper Canada is seeking a full-time Development Campaign Manager to support and drive a one-year, fundraising campaign targeting financial sector firms operating in Canada and select foundations. The purpose of the campaign is to raise funds to support Prosper Canada’s 2-year COVID-19 Relief and Recovery Strategy.
This is a one-year contract, with the potential for a longer-term position should the campaign be successful. The successful candidate will be the operational lead for the day-to-day management of the development campaign under the supervision of the Vice-President, Strategy and Impact, and working directly with the CEO; Other staff across the organization; a cadre of high-level volunteers; and our fundraising consultants.
This position has a strong project management and administrative dimension, but works closely with our Executive team and Board members. It also offers opportunities to actively contribute to, and shape, processes and systems related to Prosper Canada’s overall fundraising.
Like many non-profit organizations, Prosper Canada has refocused its operations to address the COVID-19 pandemic’s impact on vulnerable Canadians. Specifically, we are working to scale up tax filing, benefit navigation, and financial counselling services and to explore other solutions to help Canadians who are financially struggling to weather the current crisis, participate fully in Canada’s economic recovery, and build their resilience against future economic shocks.
We are seeking to raise $20 million to support this critical work – the focus of our organization for the next two years. Our strategy calls for raising $15 million from governments and $5 million from Canada’s financial industry and select foundations. With the help of fundraising leaders, fundraising consultants, we have developed a campaign strategy, a compelling case for funder investment, and a qualified prospect list, enlisted of engaged high-level volunteers, and have begun our fundraising outreach. We are seeking a highly entrepreneurial individual with excellent project management, collaboration, and communication skills to support our Executive and Business Development Teams and our fundraising volunteers to execute our campaign plan.
The ideal candidate for this role is a highly organized and entrepreneurial individual with 2-5 years of fundraising and project management experience, who is results-driven but enjoys supporting and motivating volunteers and colleagues from diverse teams and at different levels within the organization to work collaboratively to achieve a compelling and challenging goal. They have strong communication skills, able to work independently, and adept in using tools and technology to manage their work, support the efforts of others, and track and report on activities and outcomes achieved.
Summary of responsibilities
Key responsibilities of this position:
- Lead preparation for all internal Development Campaign Team meetings (usually 1-2 per week) to discuss our overall campaign strategy and our approach for each prospect and prepare all follow-up notes
- Prepare for volunteer Fundraising Committee meetings, including logistics, agendas, background materials, and messaging/presentations
- Engage key stakeholders and volunteers to assist with prospect identification, evaluation, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship, ensuring sufficient qualified prospects to achieve the campaign goal
- Ensure that the one-to-one planning meetings take place with each volunteer related to their prospects
- Coordinate ongoing prospect identification and evaluation
- Conduct prospect research to provide as much relevant information as possible to call teams
- Prepare prospect documents including call briefing notes, incorporating information from the prospect research process
- Manage prospect tracking tools to ensure activities related to each potential donor are closely monitored and up to date
- Ensure that the CEO and the VP of Strategy and Impact are following up as needed with prospects.
- Monitor campaign timeline to ensure timely progress and proactively manage the Campaign team to keep on schedule (including upward management of the leadership team)
- Work with other internal teams to create and maintain related campaign support systems – e.g. volunteer and donor management, research and cultivation, gift/financial processing, pledge management and donor recognition
- Track and support the implementation of donor recognition in collaboration with the Marketing and Communication team, including naming/branding opportunities
- Ensure appropriate recording and acknowledgment of gifts and pledges
- Plan, support and track donor cultivation and solicitation activities
- Monitor and report on campaign progress against agreed on activities, goals, and outcomes
Experience, competencies, and qualifications
Required skills and qualifications
- Entrepreneurial spirit and self-starter
- Results driven with demonstrated successes in supporting fundraising efforts
- Approximately 2-5 years of fundraising experience
- Demonstrated project management skills and 3+ years of project management experience
- Experience in working with senior leadership staff (managing up) to implement plans
- Experience in donor and volunteer management
- Adept in philanthropic prospect research and analysis, and use of associated tools
- Excellent writing, PowerPoint, and visual presentation skills
- Demonstrated understanding of marketing principles, trends, and strategies
- Proficiency with MS Office (Word, and strong Excel), MS Teams, and constituent relationship management (CRM) tools and software (e.g. Salesforce, Dynamics365, Raiser’s Edge, or Donor Perfect)
Additional skills and qualifications that we would consider assets
- French language proficiency
- Bachelor’s degree or post-secondary education in fundraising, sales, and/or marketing
- Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE) designation (or working towards designation)
- Membership in a fundraising association, e.g.: Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), Canadian Association of Gift Planners (CAGP), Association of Professional Researchers for Advancement (APRA), and/or Association for Healthcare Philanthropy (AHP)
- Project management certification/designation (PMP, CAPM)
- Familiarity with financial empowerment and/or other poverty reduction approaches
Schedule and duration
This is a full-time, one-year, salaried position with benefits with the potential for renewal/extension depending on performance and circumstances.
Due to COVID-19, all candidates should be able to work from home and interviews with candidates will be conducted remotely.
Application due: October 30, 2020
Start date: December 1, 2020
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Travel required: None
How to apply: Email your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prosper Canada is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity in employment and maintaining a work environment in which all employees and volunteers receive fair and equitable treatment regardless of colour, ethnicity, citizenship, country of origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, or family status.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.