Posted On: 2020-10-20
No closing date
Location: Markham, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
We’re looking for passionate, driven individuals to join our growing team! The successful candidate will thrive in a fast-paced, flexible environment, and work closely with a team of like-minded individuals, where each individual contributor is expected to drive projects forward while also working collaboratively to achieve shared goals. You’ll work closely with our small but mighty team, as well as with a wide range of professionals, including tech entrepreneurs, industry executives, and academic and public sector partners.
ventureLAB is a leading technology hub located in Markham in York Region, Canada’s second largest tech cluster. Working out of our 50,000 square foot innovation space, you’ll be exposed to a wide range of globally disruptive ideas, products, and people. At ventureLAB, we grow globally competitive tech titans that build to scale in Canada.
Reporting to the Vice President, Partnerships, this role is responsible for the development, delivery and management of operational plans and funding agreements for the municipal, academic and not-for-profit sectors that align closely with ventureLAB strategic objectives and signature programs. The Director also has the mandate to identify, build, and manage a pipeline of qualified new partnership opportunities in these sectors that leverage ventureLAB strengths in hardware, inclusion, and healthcare.
The successful candidate will possess a strong relationship management and business development mindset, and have the capability to switch seamlessly between strategic thinking, presentations, crafting and closing agreements, and tactical work. They should also be a strong communicator, with the capability to develop and deliver effective business presentations to potential partner organizations, showcasing their ability to clearly articulate the ventureLAB value proposition.
The role requires a demonstrated ability to collaboratively build transparent and trusted working relationships, both internally and externally, develop and manage complex projects and competing priorities, as well as track, report, and optimize the performance of partnerships and partner programs.
The Director, Public Sector and Academic Partnerships will:
- Develop and execute Municipal and Academic Sector operational plans that are aligned with ventureLAB strategic and financial objectives and signature programs
- Identify, build, and manage a pipeline of qualified partnership opportunities with not-for-profit partners that leverage ventureLAB strengths in hardware, inclusion and healthcare
- Lead the development, approval and execution of funding agreements with key municipal, academic, and not-for-profit partners
- Work collaboratively with counterparts in partner organizations to develop annual Project Plans
- Leverage, foster, maintain and build relationships with relevant municipal and academic sector decision makers and stakeholders, maintaining a strong partner-first mentality
- Deliver value-added business development connections for clients via the creation of partnerships of purpose that are strategically aligned with our client portfolio and needs
- Establish and implement best practices for building, fostering, and expanding focused strategic partnerships with academic and not-for-profit partners seeking collaborative and measurable strategically aligned opportunities
- Monitor and analyze performance against goals, and ensure, by working collaboratively with internal teams, that contractual obligations of our public sector and academic partners are delivered on-time and on-budget
- Lead monthly touchpoint calls with key partners to ensure that KPI targets and program deliverables are being met by all departments
- On a day-to-day basis, track, resolve, and/or escalate key partnership issues, and manage internal and external expectations appropriately, ensuring the VP Partnerships is informed of all critical issues on a timely basis
- Provide timely and accurate reporting of pipeline and strategic partnership activities and ensure that relevant reports and partner dashboards are created and maintained, to provide valuable management and partner insights, and measure impact
- Behave as a role model and advocate for the ventureLAB culture and values
- Post-secondary degree or diploma, or a minimum of 7 -10 years equivalent experience working in partnerships, innovation and entrepreneurship, or business development in a not-for-profit organization, ideally within municipal government, academic institutions or a private sector technology company with direct experience building public sector and academic partnerships
- Established contacts at post-secondary academic institutions and not-for-profit organizations and experience in building results-driven partnerships in these sectors
- Demonstrated experience closing new academic and not-for-profit partnership opportunities, negotiating contracts and agreements, and a proven track record of meeting or exceeding revenue and KPI targets
- Proven ability to forge long term, senior level relationships amongst a diverse group of stakeholders
- Strong leadership skills, excellent time management and organizational skills
- Strong analytical skills – able to evaluate opportunities from a strategic, financial, and operational perspective
- Results-oriented problem solver who can bring complex projects to fruition in a timely manner
- Strong communicator with excellent interpersonal skills, active listening, and writing presentation skills
- Demonstrated high level of internal and external customer service skills
- Strong team player, who can also work independently, with an excellent track record of success in matrixed, fast-paced environments
- Passion for ventureLAB Mission, Vision, and Cultural Values
Salary Range: $80,000 – $85,000
How to Apply
Submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, noting “Director of Partnerships, Public Sector and Academic, Job ID 202017” in the subject line. Salary range is $80,000 – $85,000 annually, dependent on experience. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only qualified candidates will be contacted.