Posted On: 2020-12-11
Closing On: 2021-01-14
Location: Durham Region
Employment Type: Contract
Carea Community Health Centre (Carea) is currently seeking a Director of Community Relations & Communications. This individual will be an experienced, innovative, and ambitious fundraising and communications professional to help us achieve our new five-year strategy. With the full backing and alignment of Carea’s Board of Directors and Senior Leadership Team, and with team support, you will develop and oversee an integrated strategy for philanthropic revenue growth and brand development that includes a full suite of fundraising programs with a particular focus on high-value streams of major donors, corporations, foundations, and partnerships. You are a self-starter with the drive, commitment, and networking ability to foster existing income streams, and develop new ones from scratch. You will also oversee a dynamic fundraising and communications team.
Carea Community Health Centre is a recognized leader in redefining the experience of community-based health and wellness services. We provide access to high quality holistic and inclusive care that is responsive to the needs of the community and empowers individuals to enhance their own well-being.
Position Overview Carea Community Health Centre (Carea) is seeking an experienced, innovative, and ambitious fundraising and communications professional to help us achieve our new five-year strategy. With the full backing and alignment of Carea’s Board of Directors and Senior Leadership Team, and with team support, you will develop and oversee an integrated strategy for philanthropic revenue growth and brand development that includes a full suite of fundraising programs with a particular focus on high-value streams of major donors, corporations, foundations, and partnerships. You are a self-starter with the drive, commitment, and networking ability to foster existing income streams, and develop new ones from scratch. You will also oversee a dynamic fundraising and communications team, as noted above.
Strategy & Planning
- Contribute to Carea’s overall strategy and planning as a key member of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT)
- Together with your team, develop and implement a comprehensive, integrated fundraising plan with a focus onmajor giving, foundations, corporate partnerships, direct response, special events, and DIY
- Work closely with the Director, Corporate Services and CEO to establish realistic yet challenging income targetsand metrics, for both the short and long term
- Develop a corporate marketplace engagement strategy, in conjunction with the CEO, to create a comprehensiverelationship with corporate entities (including suppliers) to generate funds from philanthropy, partner andbrand marketing, and sponsorship of Carea activities
- Develop strategies to support strong and positive donor relations, with particular emphasis on generating large,unrestricted gifts, in addition to donor acknowledgement, stewardship and recognition
- Work with Carea SLT and staff across departments to develop a marketing and communications plan to increaseCarea’s profile and influence in key markets
- Plan and manage the Marketing & Communications budget in order to ensure that projects are delivered ontime and on budget.
Community Relations (Fundraising and Partnership Development)
- Provide management oversight for all fundraising programs at Carea including major giving, foundations,corporate partnerships, direct response, special events, and DIY
- Develop and manage a portfolio of high-value prospective donors and partners (individual, corporate,trusts/foundations, government, sector-based, etc.) from identification through to solicitation, includingproposal and grant writing
- Put in place systems to record, track, and maintain donor and partner engagement through events, meetings,teleconferences, reports, etc.
- Ensure that donor criteria and requirements are well understood, documented, communicated, and met.
- Work with clinical and program leads to develop and maintain a prioritized list of projects/programs needingcharitable support
- Put in place systems to ensure that timely and meaningful donor stewardship, including both impact andfinancial reporting
- Create donor engagement tools including proposals, presentations, stewardship reports and recognitionprograms to raise funds and awareness for Carea
- Oversee the preparation of donor reports in conjunction with the Finance team
- Clarify and support the CEO, program managers and Board members so that they understand and areappropriately involved in the identification, qualification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors andpartners
- Strategically leverage the CEO and Board to meet ambitious fundraising targets; support and enhance theBoard’s capacity to assist with fundraising goals
Marketing & Communications
- Build clear messaging and narratives that unify the various elements of Carea’s work, with a focus on engagingpotential donors, partners, volunteers, and supporters
- Oversee the execution and roll out of the marketing and communications plan by staff, ensuring that itleverages a range of media (stories, photos, videos, blogs, infographics reports, etc.) and channels (traditionalmedia, social media, etc.)
- Develop a case for support that aligns with Carea’s brand, strategy, values, and key messages
- Select, evaluate, and proactively manage relationships with relevant communications agencies, designers,developers, free-lance writers, printers, photographers, and related vendors/consultants ensuring cost-effectiveness, high service delivery and quality of work
- Follow, leverage, and expand the Centre’s engagement in local and regional news and conversations aboutcommunity health, care access, and policy
- Explore communications opportunities to engage and strengthen relationships with community stakeholders,partners, and influencers
- Advance Carea’s brand identity, through staff/board training and support, ensuring consistency across all channels
- At a minimum a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent/relevant experience; CFRE designation an asset
- At a minimum, 5+ years’ communications, and fundraising/marketing experiences preferably in the charitablesector, including substantial responsibility for marketing and/or communications functions and major giving, plusat least one other type of fundraising (E.g. corporate partnerships, foundations, direct mail, etc.
- Event planning experience is desirable
- High-level computer literacy skills including proficiency in MS Office, with experience of CRM databases an asset
- A proven track record of identifying, cultivating and stewarding minimum 6-figure gifts and multi-yearrelationships with donors
- Experience working effectively and collegially with members of senior leadership teams, boards, and other high-level volunteers.
- Exceptional networker with proven ability to identify and cultivate prospects through networking
- Excellent oral and written communications skills with the ability to make dynamic group presentations
- Strong financial analysis and planning skills, including the ability to anticipate tasks, set priorities, meet deadlinesand function smoothly under strict deadlines and within a context of shifting priorities
- If you are interested in being considered for this position, please submit cover letter and resume outlining yourqualifications and expectations by email to email@example.com . This position will remain posted until filled.
- While we thank all applicants for their interest in applying, only those qualified and considered for interview willbe contacted. All applicant submissions will be kept on file for six months, for future consideration.
- All applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants mayreceive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
- All positions are subject to the successful completion of the following pre-employment conditions for all external hires: Reference Checks; and Criminal Background checks (including Vulnerable Sector Screening).
Carea Community Health Centre is committed to complying with all applicable standards as set out in the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA), the provisions of the Ontario Human Rights Code, and any other applicable legislation. Accessibility: If you have accessibility needs and require alternate formats or other accommodations please contact Human Resources at 905-723-0036, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Carea Community Health Centre, and staff are dedicated to creating an inclusive environment that welcomes diversity.