Posted On: 2020-12-18
Closing On: 2021-01-15
Location: Markham, ON
Effective: February 2021
Website: mshf.on.ca, and, msh.on.ca
Employment Type: Full-Time
Who we are:
Markham Stouffville Hospital Foundation (MSHF) enables the growth of Markham Stouffville Hospital (MSH) by raising funds and awareness for its priorities and ongoing needs. We inspire to earn the generous support of every member of our community. Markham and Stouffville are the fastest growing regions in Canada and recently declared among the nation’s most diverse communities.
Markham Stouffville Hospital (MSH) is one of Ontario’s leading community hospitals. Across our two sites (Markham and Uxbridge) and Reactivation Care Centre (RCC), we provide high quality, patient-centred care to more than 435,000 patients each year. We offer diagnostic and emergency services and deliver clinical programs in acute care medicine and surgery, addictions and mental health, and childbirth and children’s services. We are also proud to be part of the Eastern York Region North Durham Ontario Health Team (OHT).
We are seeking a Director of Development to join our talented MSH Foundation team. The Director of Development is an experienced, results-oriented, “boots-on-the ground” fundraiser who is a natural builder of strong relationships. Reporting to the Vice President, Development and working in collaboration with development teams, the Director of Development will play a critical role in developing strategies to continue to drive fundraising success. With the ability to maintain laser focus on major gift fundraising, the Director has demonstrated success with inspiring donor support and closing philanthropic gifts at the six figure plus level. The Director is an authentic and passionate coach and mentor to development staff and supports senior leadership and volunteers, ensuring activity milestones and ambitious revenue goals are met and surpassed. This vital role will also contribute to the planning and execution of an ambitious capital campaign currently in the early planning stages.
Revenue Generation (Donor & Pipeline Development)
- Plan and execute a multi-year revenue generation plan to ensure campaign’s achievement of goals.
- Build and manage a personal portfolio of donors and prospects at the $50K+ level, with initial focus on making discovery/cold calls and converting calls into meetings.
- Drive revenue and grow capacity in major gifts by cultivating and soliciting individual and corporate donors.
- Grow a robust leadership (major gift) pipeline with movement and active management, and develop and execute highly customized cultivation, solicitation and stewardship plans.
- Actively participate in research and prospect identification (from internal and external sources) and actively participate in regular Prospect Management meetings.
- Lead the development and execution of sector strategies and expand engagement of emerging ethno-cultural groups and key donor segments to inspire and broaden base of support.
- Identify and support strategic opportunities for integrated fundraising with legacy giving donors and event sponsors.
- Assist with the identification and recruitment of senior level fundraising volunteers for fundraising committees/Cabinet.
- Ensure a high-level of data quality and integrity in Raisers Edge through timely and accurate action entry, record maintenance and prospect tracking.
- Provide direct support to assigned volunteers in their efforts to conduct fundraising calls and activities on behalf of the Foundation, ensuring they are prepared with research, briefing notes, and other relevant information.
- Work with Vice President and development team, in collaboration with physicians and clinical staff, to convert grateful patient referrals to gifts.
- Work at the strategic level with Vice President and CEO to execute on campaign strategies and support Cabinet/senior volunteers with donor engagement activities.
- Represent the Foundation positively and act as an ambassador throughout the community.
- Oversee annual goal setting and performance management for direct reports.
- Lead and mentor direct reports with developing portfolio strategies and monitoring productivity and outcomes.
- Establish annual revenue targets for Leadership & Legacy Giving portfolios and work collaboratively to develop annual business plans and budgets.
- Collaborate across other revenue channels to ensure coordination and success of overall Foundation goals.
- Model behaviour that encourages a mutually supportive team environment.
What you bring to MSH Foundation:
- Minimum of 5 years experience in major gift fundraising and demonstrated experience in all aspects of the donor development cycle including a proven track record of negotiating and closing gifts at $50k+.
- Completion of a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field and/or a combination of comparable skills and experience. CFRE is a definite asset.
- Evidence of strong management & leadership skills that foster teamwork and collaboration.
- Experience leading and inspiring teams to meet/exceed revenue targets.
- Experience managing and inspiring fundraising volunteers.
- A strategic thinker and problem solver, with strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written) marked with the ability to inspire and influence at all levels with confidence.
- Above average level of initiative.
- Professional maturity and proven ability to exercise diplomacy and exercise good judgement.
Qualified applicants are asked to apply online with cover letter and resume at www.msh.on.ca/careers-and-volunteers (quoting Job#4798) by January 15, 2021.
We thank all candidates for their interest but only those invited for interviews will be contacted.