Are you passionate about health care philanthropy and interested in joining a dynamic and strategic team that has been recognized for fundraising excellence and is poised for growth?
Do you have a strong commitment to donor-centred fundraising excellence and demonstrated success in cultivating and nurturing strong, face-to-face relationships with individuals, corporations and foundations?
Are you committed to creating exceptional donor experiences, working as one team across all departments, and striving to achieve the highest standards? Do you inspire donors and team-mates to explore the art of the possible in the pursuit of the maximum impact for our donors, our hospitals and our community?
If you are dedicated to providing great health care close to home and are ready to dig in and help us to fulfill our vision of healthier communities through giving – we’ve got a position for you!
William Osler Health System Foundation:
William Osler Health System Foundation (Osler Foundation) is committed to supporting health care in our community. Never before has the need to provide quality health care close to home been greater within our hospitals. Osler Foundation is excited to expand our team in the pursuit of supporting the health care heroes of our hospital partner, William Osler Health System.
Serving one of Canada’s largest multi-site hospital systems, we pride ourselves in connecting the generosity of our community to the needs of our three hospitals – Etobicoke General Hospital, Brampton Civic Hospital, and the Peel Memorial Centre for Integrated Health & Wellness. Our community, which covers an area with more than 1.3 million people, is one of the most culturally- rich and ethnically-diverse regions in Canada.
For the past nine years, Osler Foundation has been championing its 10-year, $100M You Have the Power campaign, in support of our three patient care sites. Over the course of the campaign, and thanks to the generosity of our community, Osler Foundation has experienced significant and continued revenue growth. Our secret? Our team has heart. We’re innovative, persistent, and we work together to get the job done.
As part of the Osler System family, we are committed to providing a fulfilling work environment that inspires our staff to learn, innovate and grow. Osler is proud to be recognized, year after year, as one of Greater Toronto’s Top Employers and Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. Here you will work alongside a highly-committed and respected team that understands what it means to go beyond to meet the health care needs of our communities.
Osler Foundation is equally committed to supporting our employees, through flexible work arrangements, professional development, and a commitment to creating an environment of inclusiveness and belonging.
And, within the philanthropy sector, our team members are highly effective leaders, instructors and mentors with the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) and Association of Healthcare Philanthropists (AHP), including as current Chair, AFP Canada, and AFP Fundraiser of the Year, 2019.
Major Gift Officer
Director, Major Gifts
Peel Memorial Centre for Integrated Health & Wellness, with periodic travel to Brampton Civic and Etobicoke General Hospitals
The Major Gifts Officer will join a highly successful team at a key time of growth and will be a contributing part of the department responsible for the major gift activities of William Osler Health System Foundation (the Foundation).
Reporting to the Director, Major Gifts, the Major Gifts Officer is responsible for contributing to the financial goals of the Major Gifts portfolio. Prospect identification and research, cultivation and relationship building activities, proposal preparation, solicitations and follow-up activities are among the responsibilities. The Major Gifts Officer will have responsibility for a major gifts portfolio of $10,000 + prospects. As a member of the Major Gifts team, the Major Gifts Officer participates in setting strategy, planning activity and monitoring progress. A strong commitment to donor-centred fundraising is critical in this role.
As the Major Gift Officer, you will:
- Participate in implementing the Major Gifts activities, projects and focus, as detailed in the Foundation’s Annual Business Plan
- Actively build and manage a portfolio of 125-150 major gift prospects and donors by cultivating relationships through a high level of personal contact
- Proactively develop and implement strategies for your portfolio that identify, cultivate, solicit and steward individuals, foundations and corporations for major gifts of $10,000+, including integrated solicitations incorporating sponsorships and planned giving
- Prepare compelling and strategic major gift donor communications materials including tailored proposals, correspondence, presentations, briefing notes, and gift agreements where appropriate, often in collaboration with team members
- Be an active and solutions-focussed participant in bi-weekly team Moves Management meetings and monthly Major Gift Team meetings to optimize solicitations and opportunities, strive for continuous improvement, and strategize on transformational gift solicitations and stewardship
- Embrace the unique and exciting opportunities of working with donors and stakeholders in one of the most culturally-rich and ethnically-diverse regions in Canada
- Effectively track activity in Raiser’s Edge donor database
- Commit to key performance metrics and goals including number of donor and prospect meetings, moves, discovery calls and solicitations
- Actively work to enhance and grow positive relationships with all departments within the organization
- Be highly effective at working independently and exceptional at being a team player, with a proactive approach and a strong commitment to success
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully work in a fast paced, dynamic environment with excellent time management and organizational skills
- Attend functions pertaining to Major Gifts
- Attend and assist at functions held in the community and organized by the Foundation as required
- Participate on committees as required
- Commit to the Mission of William Osler Health System (Osler) and the Foundation
- Be committed to life-long learning and professional development
- Other duties as assigned
- University degree (preferably in fundraising management, marketing, or business administration), or equivalent combination of education and experience
- A recognized fundraising certification or CFRE designation would be an asset
- Minimum of three years recent related experience
- Proven track record of successful, recent major gift cultivation, direct solicitation and stewardship
- Demonstrated experience in Major Gifts / Capital Campaign fundraising, an understanding of health care fundraising is preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience in supporting senior volunteers
- Ability to communicate the vision and key messages of William Osler Health System Foundation to the community
- Demonstrated professional style that is proactive, innovative and collaborative
- Demonstrated excellence in communications, relationship building and teamwork
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, through various mediums (I.e., email, phone, video conference calls, and in person)
- Access to reliable transportation required
Osler values inclusivity and diversity in the workplace. We welcome and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds. We are committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process, please notify us through your application.
Please submit your cover letter and resume by email, as a PDF or Word document, addressed to Shari Lovelock, Director, Major Gifts, and email to: email@example.com
Subject Line: Major Gifts Officer
Deadline: January 14th, 2021 at 5pm
We thank all candidates for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone or walk-in inquiries please. All applications are considered confidential.