Posted On: 2020-12-23
Closing On: 2021-01-23
Location: Montreal or Toronto
Employment Type: Full-Time
We are seeking a Director, Donor & Volunteer Relations to join our high performing team. You will be based either in the Montreal or Toronto office. Your main focus will be to build a best-in-class experience for our donors and volunteers. This is a unique opportunity to take Weizmann Canada to the next level, by strengthening and building on our ties with a dedicated community who believe that science is for the benefit of all of humanity. Our community of donors and volunteers invest in discovery at the globally recognized and respected Weizmann Institute of Science.
The Ideal Candidate:
You are a curious and passionate individual who takes pride in their work. You understand the importance of acknowledging and recognizing donors and ensuring that they feel confident that their contributions are having the impact they desire. You have a keen understanding of trends in the industry and are excited by the opportunity to design and lead a comprehensive donor and volunteer relations and stewardship program for our supporters.
You have the ability to understand the needs and interests of leadership and major gift donors in order to further develop relationships. You are someone who adapts well to change and can influence people. You are flexible, proactive and resourceful. You have the ability to gain a deep understanding of the challenges of those you work with and are able to anticipate and overcome the obstacles. You are self-motivated, equally comfortable working autonomously and as part of a team. You have vision for the bigger picture and are great at seeing the steps needed to constantly improve effectiveness. You are a problem solver, even anticipating issues before they arrive.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive donor relations and stewardship plan for Weizmann Canada’s donors
- Build an effective volunteer management process to engage, educate, and retain current volunteers as well as to attract new volunteers
- Monitor and ensure that all obligations outlined in donor agreements are fulfilled in a timely manner, and monitored and tracked in RE NXT
- Manage the back end of gift processing, including liaising with finance on thank you letters, tax receipts and pledge fulfillment
- Write personal appreciation and stewardship communication pieces (i.e. letters, emails) for leadership donors and volunteers
- Create compelling collateral for donor and volunteer cultivation and stewardship, ensuring that they receive professional and timely information regarding the impact of their support
- Identify creative engagement opportunities to further engage our donors and volunteers including events and communication pieces
- University or College degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Significant experience (10+ years) with donor relations and stewardship as well as volunteer management
- Strong business acumen with the ability to assess risk, identify and address issues and prioritize
- Enthusiasm for the mission of Weizmann Canada and the Weizmann Institute of Science
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, and as a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside Weizmann Canada
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of leadership and major gift donors in order to further develop relationships with Weizmann Canada
- Customer service experience in a professional environment
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Bilingual (French/English) would be an asset
- Strong strategic planning and critical thinking skills
- Exceptional time management, planning and organizational skills, with an emphasis on detail and accuracy
- Good decision-making skills, tactful, good listener, willingness to search out answers, ability to recognize when others need to be involved in activities or decisions
- Confidence, polish, and a high level of professionalism
- Experience leading a small team
- Experience in budget development and management
- Ability to work under pressure, plan, organize and prioritize work
- Advanced level of proficiency in MS Office and working knowledge of Raiser’s Edge
Work Environment and Culture:
- Busy, service- and results-oriented environment
- Regular daily hours of work with occasional evenings/weekends for meetings and events
- Shared commitment and support of the overall goals of the organization
Weizmann Canada is committed to providing an excellent work environment for team members to be their best self. We offer a highly competitive compensation package, commensurate with experience including a robust benefits plan.
About The Weizmann Institute:
The Weizmann Institute of Science in Rehovot, Israel, is one of the world's top-ranking multidisciplinary research institutions. Weizmann is the only non-U.S. institution in the top eight within the 2020 Leiden Ranking, placing the Institute in company with the likes of Princeton, MIT and Harvard. The Institute also ranked second worldwide in the normalized 2019 Nature Index. The normalized index looks at the ratio of publications in the best scientific journals measured against total output, Weizmann may be small, but its contribution is mighty.
Noted for its wide-ranging exploration of the natural and exact sciences, the Institute is home to over 3,000 scientists, students, technicians and supporting staff. Institute research efforts include the search for new ways of fighting disease and hunger, examining leading questions in mathematics and computer science, probing the physics of matter and the universe, creating novel materials and developing new strategies for protecting the environment.
About Weizmann Canada:
Individuals, corporations and foundations around the world invest generously in the Weizmann Institute’s research, graduate education and scientific outreach programs, including many Canadians who share our belief in the power of research to create a brighter tomorrow.
Weizmann Canada is a national community with a core group of dedicated donors and volunteers, and 13 professional staff who share a common vision with the Institute of advancing science for the benefit of humanity.
- To raise awareness and support for the Weizmann Institute of Science in order to maintain its standards of excellence, and;
- To encourage science literacy across all age groups through events featuring scientists and through education programs.
A better world one question at a time.
Candidates are asked to please submit both a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com by Friday, January 15, 2021. Candidate submissions will be reviewed on an ongoing basis.