Posted On: 2021-01-06
Closing On: 2021-02-06
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Temporary
We hear it again and again. From patients. From physicians. From nurses. From donors. There’s a spirit of relentlessness at St. Michaels Hospital. It’s a never-say-no attitude, a willingness to go beyond. It’s why St. Michaels is legendary for taking on some of the world’s toughest health challenges. It’s why we are leaders in so many areas of medicine: multiple sclerosis, cystic fibrosis, ophthalmology, critical care, trauma, minimally-invasive cardiac care, neurosurgery, urban health, neonatal care, and the list goes on. St. Michael’s has a unique attitude that cuts across every department, and it is ever-present at St. Michael’s Hospital Foundation.
By joining St. Michael’s Hospital Foundation now, you will be joining a team of powerful, relentless, compassionate fundraisers who are ushering in the next era of medical innovation and discovery. At St. Michaels Hospital, can’t is not in our vocabulary
Senior Philanthropy Officers at St. Michael's Hospital Foundation are part of a dynamic, diversified and talented team of fundraising experts. This role’s primary responsibility will be to strategically plan, implement and actively build major and planned gift solicitation and pipeline strategies along with stewardship activities to maximize individual, corporate and foundation donor support through various channels integral to building a robust pipeline of prospects and donors.
This position works closely and collaboratively with a dynamic philanthropy team in the rollout of effective and sustainable programs to achieve targets and other agreed financial and non-financial goals for this vital portfolio for St. Michael's
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop an understanding of the educational, research, clinical and financial needs and goals of SMH.
- Work in partnership with senior management to facilitate maximum private sector support for the Hospital.
- Engage regularly with Hospital leadership, physicians and staff to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward major gift donors.
- Liaise with annual, virtual experiences and community giving staff to ensure that major and planned giving fundraising is coordinated with their initiatives.
- Liaise with communications staff to develop campaign materials, proposals, stewardship reports and tailored communications to donors.
- Liaise with prospect researcher to identify prospects that are appropriate matches for priority areas.
- Lead development and execution of a portfolio of major gifts and pledges focusing on gifts of $250,000 to $1 million.
- Present planned gift opportunities to donors in combination with major gift approaches.
- Support senior Foundation leadership staff and volunteers in the development and execution of major gifts and pledges for donors with the capacity to give $1m or more.
- Manage a group of 60-100 potential donors at varying stages of identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship using a focused and accountable approach of strategy development and implementation.
- Identify potential donors and develop strategies to solicit those prospects and steward their gifts, including the development of written materials such as cases for support, proposals, and scripts.
- Solicit prospects face-to-face and effectively articulate in written and verbal communications the mission and impact of the hospital to deepen relationships with donors, prospects and high-level supporters.
- Work closely with volunteers including Board members and Campaign Cabinet members on developing strategies, goals, and timetables for successful solicitations.
- Prepare activity reports (includes: names of donors to recruit/visit, solicitation calls, cultivation calls).
- Ensure all donor information is accurately recorded in Raisers Edge and the shared drive in an accurate and timely fashion.
- A university degree or a combination of comparable skills and experience.
- Must have 7-10 years of experience working in fundraising with at least 1-2 of those years in major and planned giving.
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Experience in creating and presenting compelling proposals to donors.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and very strong person to person relationship-building skills.
- Ability to work with senior leaders, physicians, and other foundations effectively and collaboratively.
- Basic understanding of healthcare delivery system in Ontario.
- Ability to attain financial and program goals within prescribed timelines.
- Experience working with volunteers and volunteer committees/boards in a wide range of capacities.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple and changing demands.
- Proven ability to exercise diplomacy and good judgment.
- Keen understanding of current finance and accounting principles in the not-for-profit sector.
- Exemplary attention to detail with excellent planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work independently using an above average level of initiative.
- Ability to work as a collaborative member of a fundraising team.
- Proficient in the use of all corporate productivity tools including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Internet Explorer as well as Raiser’s Edge or other donor database management systems.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of the mission and values of St. Michael’s Hospital.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends.
Interested Candidates please apply online.