True Patriot Love Foundation is Canada’s premier national philanthropic organization supporting the military and Veteran community. Established in 2009, the Foundation has provided over $30M in funding to community projects across all provinces and campaigned to raise awareness and support for those who serve in the Canadian Armed Forces, Veterans, and their families.
True Patriot Love is seeking an innovative, results oriented, and data driven marketing and communications leader to serve as their next Senior Director, Marketing & Communications. Reporting to the Chief Executive, the Senior Director will support the mission and growth of the Foundation through the execution of integrated marketing and communications strategies that leverage the power of our work and enhance our established brand. The Senior Director will work closely with the CEO, Board, senior volunteers, and members of the management team in leading all facets of the organization’s marketing and communications activities.
The Senior Director, Marketing & Communications will play a critical role in driving national brand awareness and executing all aspects of our communications activity to bring the mission of True Patriot Love to donors, volunteers, corporate partners, Government officials, event participants, community partners and the Canadian public at large. The Senior Director will oversee all multi-channel communications including a strategy for enhancing our brand and reputation, communicating our mission, highlighting the impact of our work, and building revenue in programs such as annual and monthly giving.
True Patriot Love is a respected and entrepreneurial charity with exciting goals. Following the arrival of its new CEO in 2019 the Foundation has recently embarked on an ambitious three-year strategy. The new Senior Director will have the opportunity to oversee a national communications operation, think and act quickly, create, and innovate, and make a lasting difference for the Foundation and the proud Canadians it serves.
True Patriot Love’s national headquarters is in Toronto although the Senior Director will enjoy a flexible work location anywhere in Canada. Travel across Canada for meetings will be required in this role.
ABOUT TRUE PATRIOT LOVE
True Patriot Love is Canada’s leading foundation that supports and advocates for members of the Canadian Armed Forces, Veterans and their families, funds community-based programs, and contributes to leading edge academic research. The Foundation also acts as a catalyst for collaboration across stakeholders in the sector and provides thought leadership on all areas within its mission focus.
In 2008, when Canadian soldiers were returning home from Afghanistan, and the impact of war was weighing heavily on them and their families, Canada’s Chief of Defence Staff challenged a group of Toronto-based philanthropists to raise money to support them. The following year, the inaugural Tribute Gala brought 2,000 Canadians together, raising $2 million in one evening. The event proved that Canadians are proud of our military, and are seeking ways, beyond wearing the poppy on Remembrance Day, to express their support. The True Patriot Love organization was born.
We are uniquely positioned to understand the greatest needs of Canadian military members, Veterans and their families and activate the resources required to deliver the most significant impact, because:
- Our national perspective allows us to work towards ensuring that military and Veteran families receive the same level of support no matter where they live, while also allowing us to tailor our funding to the unique needs of the local community.
- Our agility and flexibility allow us to fund promising community programs that are still in the proof-of-concept stage and, once success is proven, raise additional funds to help take them to scale nationally.
- Our strong partnerships with the Department of National Defence and Veterans Affairs Canada provides us with insight into the current state of the military community, allowing us to address these needs.
- Our robust funding application process, which includes a Disbursement Advisory Committee consisting of experts from a variety of sectors, ensures that funding goes towards the programs that offer the most immediate and most significant impact.
- Our partnership with the Canadian Institute for Military and Veteran Health Research allows us to leverage a comprehensive system of national research capabilities, which ensures we fund the best, most innovative and most impactful research initiatives.
ADDITIONAL BACKGROUND & RESOURCES
- True Patriot Love
- Board of Directors
- 2020 True Patriot Love Tribute Gala Broadcast
- 2018 Annual Report
- 2019 Audited Financial Statements
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
As an experienced marketing and communications professional, the Senior Director, Marketing & Communications will be passionate about sharing the success stories of our work with military members, Veterans, and their families, and relentless in pursuit of creating highly professional and effective campaigns that the reflect the True Patriot Love mission and brand.
An accomplished marketing and communication generalist, the ideal candidate will bring a wide range of experiences and expertise in successfully developing and executing integrated strategies, CRM initiatives, public relations, and digital marketing campaigns, enhancing cause-related programs, crafting compelling communication material, selecting, and managing partner agencies, and developing strategic relationships with national and regional media sources and journalists.
The successful candidate will oscillate fluently between strategic leader and hands-on doer, working effectively across the organization in delivering projects, liaising with senior volunteers, and supporters, and managing a growing team.
The Senior Director will have a track record deploying lean resources creatively and strategically to achieve big aspirations. With strength in utilizing data to drive decisions, the new incumbent will bring an analytic lens and will stay current with trends and best practices in all areas of marketing, communications, and brand development.
The ideal candidate will be passionate, smart, positive, and work equally well within a team and with autonomy. The new incumbent will thrive in our fast-paced, dynamic, high impact, and collaborative environment and will care deeply about our mission.
Strategy & Planning
- Build out and integrate existing strategies for growing and enhancing True Patriot Love’s mission and brand.
- Use marketing, communications, and donor relations activities to increase awareness of True Patriot Love’s work with supporters, partners, stakeholders, and the Canadian public at large in ways that will help increase engagement and fundraising.
- Deliver a strong email marketing and social media plan to leverage True Patriot Love’s brand assets.
- Continually assess cross-industry best practices, new business models and techniques to enhance impact and efficiency of True Patriot Love’s integrated marketing strategy.
Marketing & Brand Messaging
- Develop compelling integrated marketing campaigns leveraging email marketing, digital tactics, social media, direct response, etc. that increase brand awareness, engagement, and revenue.
- Work with True Patriot Love staff and key stakeholders in developing and rolling out brand messaging that further establishes the role of the organization in the sector and that illuminates the many success stories of True Patriot Love and its community partners to donors, partners, and the general public.
- Integrate brand messaging across all platforms, particularly those designed to engage and attract donors and supporters.
- Build True Patriot Love’s digital and social channels, ensuring all touch points have a consistent look and feel.
Strategic Communications & PR
- Evolve and implement True Patriot Love’s multi-faced PR campaigns to raise the profile of True Patriot Love’s thought leadership and funding for the military community amongst several target groups, including corporate Canada, donors, and the Canadian public.
- Leverage the impact of True Patriot Love’s work, including the experiences and perspectives of our beneficiaries, reaching a wide range of audiences from government, the Canadian Armed Forces, serving members, Veterans and their families, corporate Canada, and everyday Canadians through a mass communications strategy.
- Prepare speaking notes & related communications for the Board Chair, Board members & CEO.
- Create and execute marketing strategies for True Patriot Love programs, including expeditions and events and mission focused initiatives such as peer to peer outreach, and creative arts and adaptive sports.
- Execute an earned media plan that leverages key media partnerships and identifies the financial benefits to True Patriot Love.
- Provide internal support on all collateral materials including newsletters, impact reports, video messaging, proposals, RFP’s, annual reports, case for support, sponsorship decks and corporate brochures.
- Prepare and update a proactive PR plan that develops key opportunities and relationships and identifies and mitigates potential risks.
Data, Analytics, & Direct Response
- Create and run an integrated, data driven, Direct Response program that will connect to and engage existing donors, upsell donations among existing donors, and help attract new ones.
- Develop and diversify direct response strategies to acquire new donors, re-engage lapsed donors, and retain existing donors and support their movement through the donor pipeline.
- Lead the creation and application insights to inform and enhance the donor experience across the various channels.
- Establish and monitor success metrics for the integrated marketing and communications strategy.
- Regularly analyze channel and campaign strategies, and measure the effectiveness of all marketing media utilized, adjusting strategies and tactical implementation as needed.
- Develop methods to strengthen True Patriot Love’s donor base, enhance donor giving and retention and cultivate new donors through incentives and other tools.
- Lead the direct response marketing program alongside a donor-centric stewardship program, delivering ongoing communications materials that demonstrate impact and accountability.
- Develop benefit statements to enhance donor participation and engagement.
- Work closely with True Patriot Love development activities (e.g., major gifts, corporate partnerships, events, and expeditions) to ensure they have tools and materials to help them achieve their fundraising objectives.
- Cultivate relationships with key media and journalists and handle all external press and media inquiries, coordinating with the CEO and other relevant parties as required.
- Manage key relationships with all outsourced and pro-bono communication and marketing companies, inspiring them to support.
- Develop clearly articulated success criteria for agency’s working with True Patriot Love.
- Develop and manage external volunteer supporters including True Patriot Love’s newly established Marketing Committee.
Leadership, Management & Support
- Manage the internal marketing and communications team, setting and delivering effective goals and performance objectives.
- As a senior staff member in the organization, work with the CEO and management team to set annual targets and plans, monitoring and reporting on these both internally and to the Board.
- Help True Patriot Love executives meet their respective objectives through the targeted support of marketing and communication advice and activities.
- Support, mentor, and motivate marketing and communications staff.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIRED SKILLS
- Progressive leadership in marketing and communications roles in a non-profit, revenue-driven organization or experience in social and/or cause marketing. Demonstrated success developing and implementing strategic marketing and communications plans, projects, and initiatives.
- Demonstrated track record of increasing brand awareness and revenue with the creativity to do so with tight budgets.
- Experience developing, executing, and measuring the success of integrated marketing, communication, and PR strategies.
- Excellent written communication skills, with experience writing stewardship communications, online content, and the ability to prepare material in someone else’s voice.
- Strong storytelling skills with the ability to bring emotion and meaning to a variety of communication material.
- Demonstrated experience using relational databases and managing digital platforms and campaigns. Experience with WordPress, Google Analytics, Salesforce, Pardot, Raisin and Google AdWords would be strong assets.
- Previous success developing and implementing direct response programs that drive revenue and engagement.
- Proven ability to analyze marketing results, statistically and qualitatively.
- Strong experience in cause marketing and partner relations.
- Results-oriented focus, a driven attitude and an entrepreneurial approach to philanthropy and problem solving.
- Experience working with fundraising to develop and execute marketing programs is an asset.
- Track record of building highly effective relationships with a variety of stakeholders, including media contacts, communication vendors, donors, corporate partners, and internal stakeholders.
- Solid skills as a project manager.
- Flexible, collaborative mindset and creative thinker, comfortable with ambiguity and evolving priorities.
- Ability to communicate in both official languages is considered an asset.
A strong commitment to the goals of the organization. While experience with the military is not required, a passion to provide the very best care and support to those in the Canadian Armed Forces, Veterans, and their families is essential
FOR MORE INFORMATION
KCI (Ketchum Canada Inc.) has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of True Patriot Love Foundation. For more information about this leadership opportunity, please contact Ellie Rusonik, Associate Vice Present, KCI Search + Talent at TPL@kcitalent.com.
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence.
To view the full Executive Brief, please visit: https://kciphilanthropy.com/kci-talent/
To apply, please send a resume and letter of interest to the email address above by February 8, 2021
True Patriot Love welcomes and encourages applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.