For those in the London community who want to make a difference in the health care of others,
London Health Sciences Foundation supports personal and individual philanthropic journeys to provide meaningful contributions that improve the health and lives of patients and families at LHSC, through the advancements of research, technology, and treatment.
On behalf of the London Health Sciences Centre, the communities it serves, and the individuals whose lives are impacted by its work, they:
Nurture kindness and empathy with initiatives that help those in need, today and tomorrow.
Champion gratefulness with legacy choices and commitments that can transform lives.
Inspire optimism with meaningful relationships and creative partnerships.
Serve as trusted stewards committed to responsible, respectful cultivation and engagement of our donor community through our accountability, reporting, acts of gratitude and milestone celebrations.
You are the difference.
Your hope creates possibilities. Your compassion generates strength. Your commitment builds resilience. Because you believe, others thrive. Making a difference for another person is both noble and joy filled. It matters deeply.
We honour your kindness and empathy.
With initiatives to help those in need, today and tomorrow.
We fulfil your gratefulness.
With legacy choices and commitments that can transform lives.
We celebrate your optimism.
With meaningful relationships and creative partnerships that prove there are no boundaries to what can happen next. But it’s you – your heart and spirit – who creates the dignity, the support and the love that enriches the lives of your family, your friends, your neighbours and your community.
You choose to care.
We’re here to serve that choice and the powerful difference it will make.
Is this you?
You are reading this Position Profile because it is entirely possible you could become the Director, Marketing & Communications for London Health Sciences Foundation. Consideration for the role starts with your own – objective – personal analysis.
In other words, is this role the right fit for you? Are you ready to step into a leadership role within a well-respected Hospital Foundation? Are you ready to lead a team playing an integral role in the development and implementation of a comprehensive brand, marketing and communications plan that will put the Foundation and Hospital on track for further fundraising success?
Do you agree with the philosophy that as a marketer you need to create clear, compelling messages that will inspire action? Do you agree that your role within a Foundation is to enable Fundraising success and that Brand Marketing and Fundraising must go hand in hand to succeed? Do you believe that integrated marketing success is being proactive not just reactive?
Do you possess excellent written and verbal communication skills? Are you known among your peers and leadership as a consummate professional who is well respected across departments because of your warm and inclusive nature? Do you encourage collaboration and break down silos? Have you lead a team and do former and current direct reports describe you as being their ‘best boss’ because you not only inspire but you lead by example? Are you a mature marketing professional who would consider yourself to be a true generalist who leans digital with exceptional vendor management skills? Are you hardworking, fearless, and dedicated?
Have you led the implementation and integration of a new brand from start to finish? Do you have experience managing agencies and vendor partnerships and you are respected by third parties because you are clear with your expectations, reasonable with your timelines and treat your service providers as true partners to maximize their contribution?
Can you see yourself being a passionate and senior member of a Hospital Foundation who are dedicated to supporting a world class health sciences centre committed to caring and innovating for the world?
If this is you, please read on…
Title: Director, Marketing & Communications
Reports to: Vice President & Chief Development Officer
Location: 747 Base Line Road East, London, Ontario (Note: remote work is currently offered due to COVID-19, once it is safe to do so, the successful candidate will be expected in the office. Candidates from outside London are encouraged although they will be expected to move to the area)
Direct Reports: Four; Senior Marketing & Communications Specialists (2); Marketing & Communications Specialists (2)
Key Internal Stakeholders: Major Giving, Legacy Giving, Direct Response, Signature Events, Community Events, Donor Relations and Stewardship
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for an experienced proactive marketing professional who has led teams in the past. Our Director, Marketing & Communications will be a key member of the senior management team and alongside their highly functioning team, will oversee the new brand, marketing and communication strategy and implementation of an integrated strategy for the Foundation.
We are looking for a leader who believes strongly in collaboration and teamwork and who fundamentally believes in a fundraising first vision. Highly skilled at stakeholder management, our Director will be well regarded by peers across the organization due to their inclusive and collaborative approach. Their excellent communication skills, both written and verbal will be key as they implement a new omni-channel brand platform alongside agency partners. Our candidate will have worked with external vendors and will manage external budgets and timelines efficiently and effectively.
A believer in the power of data and analytics, our successful candidate will use data to guide decision making. They will balance the need to make calculated risks with creativity and innovation and a mindset that sometimes the risk is worth the reward.
As a member of the Senior Management Team, the Director will be an experienced leader, strategic thinker, a creative self-starter who will function as a strong, confident, and responsive partner with the Development Team and Senior Leadership Team.
- Develops a comprehensive Brand, Marketing & Communications strategy focused on reaching and exceeding identified fundraising targets
- Creates strategies and tactics to increase brand awareness and profile in the community with a core focus on bringing LHSF’s new brand to life
- Ensures consistency of brand messaging across all communication platforms and donor touch points
- Enhances LHSF’s digital strategy with a focus on delivering rich dynamic content to reach and inspire new audiences, cultivate relationships with donors, demonstrate impact of donor philanthropy and build brand equity
- Works closely with Development Team (including Major Giving, Legacy Giving, Direct Response, Signature Events, Community Events, Donor Relations and Stewardship) to provide strategic advice and help incorporate and integrate proper communications strategies to reach fundraising goals
- Oversees the production of all marketing and communications materials, including but not limited to proposals, donor impact reports, cases for support, e-newsletters, event collateral, website, e-communications, speech writing etc.
- Serves as the Foundation’s key advisor on communications, including media relations, public relations, crisis management, as well as new marketing and communications trends in the charitable sector
- Leads the development of relevant processes, procedures, templates to maximize efficiencies and deliver results
- Provides leadership to marketing and communications staff with an emphasis on mentoring, coaching, and promoting integration with fundraising team
- Creates clear responsibilities and measurable goals for each marketing and communications team member
- Act as an Ambassador throughout the Community, positively representing the Hospital and the Foundation
- Work as a team player promoting a positive and professional work environment and conduct role with integrity and respect
- Other duties as assigned from time to time to meet the overall goals and objectives of the London Health Sciences Foundation
- Abide by the policies and procedures of the LHSF and LHSC; Occupational Health and Safety Act, and work in a manner that is safe, reporting incidents immediately to direct supervisor
- Operates within culture and core values of the organization
The Ideal Candidate
- Minimum seven (7) years of leadership experience and demonstrated success in brand, integrated marketing and senior communication roles, preferably in the philanthropic sector
- Independent, confident, and strong communicator who brings a proactive style
- High emotional intelligence, problem solving and aptitude for decision making
- Proven ability to exercise diplomacy and good judgment
- Superior interpersonal and collaboration skills – able to engage and interact effectively with all levels of the organization and key stakeholders
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, inclusive of effective monitoring, analysis, and delivery of measurable results
- Strong team building and people management skills, including proficiency in training, coaching, supervising and appraising personnel
- Ability to lead a dynamic and talented team of individuals by setting clear expectations, delegating effectively, maximizing team member skill sets and setting the example
- Excellent writing, editing and presentation skills
- Ability to tailor messages to best connect with target audience and build brand equity
- Knowledgeable of the latest digital tools and trends and proficient in developing, implementing, and measuring effectiveness of an integrated online marketing strategy through a variety of digital platforms
- Ability to synthesize large amounts of information and develop concise and compelling communications strategies and tactics, and related creative
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Successful completion of post-secondary degree or diploma and/or equivalent related work experience (Masters or Post Graduate degree an asset), in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, or Public Relations
London Health Sciences Foundation (LHSF) hires based on merit and is strongly committed to equality and diversity within its community and to providing a welcoming and inclusive workplace. LHSF especially welcomes applications from Indigenous persons, visible minority group members, women, persons with disabilities, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.
Please email your Cover Letter and CV to Lindsay Preston at Lindsay@phcap.ca. Please note the posting closes on February 12, 2021. Only qualified applicants will be contacted, we thank you in advance for your interest.