Posted On: 2021-01-28
Closing On: 2021-02-28
Location: Guelph, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Senior Development Manager
Ontario Veterinary College – Guelph, ON
Join a high-performing team of passionate fundraising professionals in Alumni Affairs and Development at one of Canada’s leading comprehensive research-intensive universities.
In our work, we advance the mission of the University of Guelph by building lifelong relationships with our community: alumni, donors, and friends. Our vision is for the University to be personally relevant in the lives of our community members. Through these relationships, we amplify the impact of philanthropy to create unique solutions for the challenges facing our world. As Senior Development Manager, you’ll be a member of this campus-wide team and, as such, epitomize the department’s shared values of respect, empowerment, integrity, appreciation, and forward focus.
The Ontario Veterinary College (OVC) is consistently ranked among the best in the world for veterinary science and its dedicated Advancement team aspires to lead best practices in our field. If you’re looking to join a supportive team committed to improving the health and well-being of animals, people and the environment, this exciting role could be your next career challenge.
Reporting to the Director, Advancement (OVC), and as a senior member of the OVC Advancement team, you’ll be responsible for major gift fundraising (contributions of $25,000 or greater and planned gifts) to support OVC’s Healthy Futures Strategic Plan. As Senior Development Manager, you’ll be expected to personally generate a minimum of $1 million in new major gifts and pledges annually, and work to advance priorities with alumni, corporations, grateful clients, and other friends of the University.
We believe that fundraising is a team sport, and collaboration with colleagues in the broader OVC External Relations and Alumni Affairs and Development teams is essential for success. Working in tandem with senior development managers in other colleges is highly encouraged. More specifically, your responsibilities will include:
- Identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors and prospects through the fundraising cycle
- Maintaining a robust pipeline of 80-100 donors/prospects, and undertaking 10-15 meetings per month with donors/prospects
- Preparing briefing materials to support the participation of senior administration in fundraising activity
- Collaborating with the Director, the Dean and other internal partners to advance donor relationships as well as identify University priorities that will resonate with donors, including scholarships, faculty/program support, and capital projects
- Creating and presenting materials to advance fundraising asks such as generic cases for support and customized proposals
- Negotiating the closure of major and planned gifts, including the creation of gift agreements and other supporting documentation
- Undertaking estate planning discussions with donors, grateful clients and alumni in order to promote bequest giving as a means to achieve OVC’s fundraising priorities and create a legacy for donors on campus
- Actively develop the OVC planned giving pipeline, working in partnership with the Director and the University of Guelph’s Gift Planning Manager
To assume the role of Senior Development Manager, you must be a gifted relationship builder with:
- Undergraduate degree and a minimum of five (5) years’ fundraising experience, with a proven track record of success in securing major and planned gifts, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development or graduate degree, preferred
- Ability to think and act quickly and effectively under pressure, exercising tact, diplomacy, discretion and good judgment
- A proven ability to interact effectively with senior executives in the corporate community
- Experience in the management of large and complex fundraising projects, especially capital campaigns
- Superior written communication and interpersonal skills, including effective relationship building and experience in managing volunteers
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite and donor databases and/or CRM systems
- A passion for animal welfare and/or background in animal, medical or healthcare charities
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation
NOTE: This appointment is regularly performed on-campus but, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, will be initially fulfilled remotely (off-campus) until the University resumes its regular operations.
The University of Guelph (www.uoguelph.ca) is one of Canada’s leading research-intensive comprehensive institutions, with a record of outstanding scholarship in the arts, humanities, social sciences, life sciences, physical and engineering sciences, agriculture and veterinary sciences. This is your chance to join us in our endeavour to improve life.
To view a detailed posting of the role of Senior Development Manager, including application instructions, please go to our website at www.uoguelph.ca/jobs. Applications, quoting Hiring #2021-0022, must be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.