As soon as possible
War Child Canada Headquarters, Toronto, Ontario
Vice President, Development
War Child Canada is a registered Canadian charity based in Toronto that works with war-affected communities to help children reclaim their childhood through access to education, opportunity and justice. War Child Canada also takes an active role in raising public awareness around the impact of war on communities and the shared responsibility to act. War Child Canada has over 15 years of experience working in communities in conflict and post-conflict zones. All work is implemented in direct partnership with local communities, local NGOs and other stakeholders using a child-centered approach.
War Child Canada also works in Afghanistan, Iraq, Uganda, DR Congo, Sudan, and South Sudan.
The Senior Manager, Marketing & Communications is responsible for developing and executing integrated, multi-channel marketing and communication strategies that support the business priorities of War Child Canada. These priorities include telling the organization’s stories, developing the organization’s brand identity, and expanding and engaging the organization’s audiences – all in order to maximize donations for the organization’s beneficiaries.
The Senior Manager, Marketing & Communications reports to the Vice President, Development and works closely with the Chief Strategy Officer & General Counsel. The Senior Manager is responsible for overseeing external communications and storytelling, including but not limited to marketing materials, media communications, digital engagement (web sites and social media), and corporate documents (i.e. Annual Reports). The Senior Manager will support Growth Team initiatives by developing communication materials to advance events, partner engagement, fundraising proposals, and other related initiatives. The Senior Manager is responsible for working with the International Programs team to collect beneficiary stories from the field and develop compelling content from War Child’s programs.
The Senior Manager will be responsible for ensuring brand consistency and graphic integrity in all communications across the organization and will advise all staff of the brand standards. The successful candidate will be a great writer and storyteller and savvy in commonly used social media platforms.
Content Development and Deployment (50%)
- Responsible for producing and overseeing all external communications, including copywriting and design.
- Manages and creates print and online publications for internal and external audiences, including annual reports, brochures, and promotional materials. This includes writing, editing, proofreading, research, collecting materials, promotion, printing management and distribution with input from Growth Team.
- Works closely with the Vice President, Development to prepare briefing notes and speaking notes for Major Gift and foundation prospect meetings for the Vice President, Development and the Executive team.
- Liaises with the Director of International Programs and country directors (as appropriate) to ensure that all communications regarding field operations are accurate, appropriate and do not put any programs at risk.
- Ensures all copy complies with War Child’s policy framework, with particular attention to child protection.
- Oversees the centralized development and execution of corporate publications and materials including annual reports, newsletters, donor reports, social media, web sites and contributes to the production of funding proposals and prospect collateral.
- Oversees and implements digital media including social media and on line advertising.
Brand Management (25%)
- Supports the Vice President, Development in planning and activating the brand strategy, including overall positioning, brand graphics, messaging and content curation on all external-facing platforms.
- Ensures all communications are mission appropriate and reinforce the brand promise.
- Manages use of style guide and approves design work for all documents produced across the organization including those produced by country directors to ensure brand integrity.
- Manages third party use of War Child name and logo and ensures all graphic standards are adhered to.
Strategic Development (20%)
- Develops and executes annual and multi-year integrated multi-channel marketing and communications plans, including digital engagement, to advance the organization’s revenue goals and reputation. These plans will include supporting external-facing fundraising and partnership campaigns in concert with members of the Growth Team.
- Works collaboratively with the Growth and International Development Team to develop a content strategy to ensure the organization has stories and collateral to advance its business goals on all platforms.
- In collaboration with the Growth Team, the successful candidate will develop and manage the monthly activities and outreach calendar that track and monitor planned campaigns and external-facing mass activities.
- The successful candidate will contribute to the development and implementation of relevant War Child policies and procedures.
Issues Management and Media Relations (10%)
- Provides support to the Executive and the Vice President, Development in response to issues that could affect the reputation of War Child.
- Supports the Executive team in monitoring and responding to world events and news, developments in War Child’s programming and any significant movement within the sector, and will ensure that War Child is positioned to respond or to capitalize on the news. Works with the Senior Manager Public Relations, Office of the Founder to vet opportunities for Founder outreach.
- Executes media relations strategy that aligns with War Child’s brand positioning and marketing goals and fosters a significant network of contacts from print, broadcast, and online media.
- Coordinates media training as required.
- Develops and maintains media and public FAQ’s, press kits and prospect and donor information packages.
- Supports the work of the Director, Events, Creative Partnerships & Artist Relations and the Senior Manager, Creative Partnerships & Artist Relations.
- The successful candidate holds a degree in marketing, communications, public affairs, or other related field along with 3-5 years’ progressive experience.
- 3-5 years’ experience in a senior communication and /marketing role responsible for branding, marketing campaigns, writing and content creation.
- Experiencing managing digital content, websites, social media platforms, and advertising is an asset.
- Knowledge and Technical Skills
- With a strong sense of professional judgement and customer service orientation, you thrive in a fast-paced environment, working collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to manage multiple time sensitive complex priorities and meet deadlines effectively.
- You are a creative thinker, developing leading edge and innovative approaches to communications and marketing materials, using various technologies to appeal to a large range of audiences.
- Your strong project management skills allow you to bring a positive and can-do approach to decision-making and problem-solving.
- Strong technology skills as well as proficiency in MS office applications and Google Suite complete your profile.
- Excellent writing skills, including the ability to write in varied formal and informal styles, as well as voices.
- An ability to create strategies, track their implementation, and manage underlying projections.
- Ability to articulate the brand elements and to work with staff members to ensure implementation.
- Understanding of trends in communications and how to adapt to the significant ones.
- Working knowledge and experience managing digital strategy (social media and website), digital advertising, engaging content creation, and audience engagement techniques.
- Strong technology skills as well as proficiency in MS office applications and Google Suite.
- Understanding of analytics tools, including Google Analytics and Sysomos (or similar).
- Design experience, including use of Adobe Creative Suite and related software.
- Working understanding of web development and website management.
- Knowledge/experience of non-profit sector, charitable and/or international development.
- Knowledge/experience working with complex national and international organizations.
A competitive salary and benefits package is offered
INTERESTED APPLICANTS ARE INVITED TO SEND A CURRICULUM VITAE AND AN ACCOMPANYING COVER LETTER ELECTRONICALLY TO:
Please ensure your application email has the subject heading of ‘Senior Manager, Marketing & Communications – [insert your name]’
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be notified. We regret we cannot entertain phone calls. War Child Canada is an equal opportunity employer.
War Child Canada is committed to providing a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Final candidates will be vetted in accordance with War Child Canada’s Child Protection Policy, including appropriate reference checks.
War Child Canada is committed to providing an accessible workplace. For individuals with disabilities, accommodation is available upon request. Should you require accommodation at any stage of the selection process, please let us know. We will work with you to meet your needs.
Candidates should be legally eligible to work in Canada. War Child Canada will not provide any relocation support.
For more information about War Child Canada, please visit www.warchild.ca.