Do you wake up each day excited to get to work? Are you passionate about our cause and know you have the competencies to not only lead a small team but also personally achieve ambitious major gifts targets? Do you enjoy picking up the phone, and meeting 1:1 with partners to help them achieve their philanthropic goals? Do you simply love asking others for gifts that will transform lives far beyond their gift commitment? Are you willing to raise the bar each and every day – and then, push it higher? And finally, can you exceed all this within a balanced work/non-work life day?
Then, please read on…
Operation Smile Canada is seeking a philanthropy leader to engage current and prospective partners who are passionate about providing safe and essential cleft and cleft-related surgeries and comprehensive care for children and families in need, supporting training and education for local medical volunteers, and advancing research to discover causes and improve quality of life.
Checking in with the CEO & Chief Smile Officer, the National Director of Philanthropy is a growth-oriented fundraiser primarily focused on personally identifying, cultivating and soliciting major gift commitments from high value donors with the capacity to support single and multi-year, six and seven+-figure financial investments.
Additionally, the National Director of Philanthropy will lead, develop, and coach a small team of professionals working together to achieve relational and financial success in their partner portfolios.
Why You – Love and Lead
- You simply love asking people to engage through giving and lead teams to collectively celebrate achievements
- You know what the positive power of a smile can do
- Changing a child’s life for good lights you up
- Sharing that joy with others who want to make a difference drives you
- You know that your actions make a difference now, not just years from now
- Philanthropy fuels the impact you want to see through the work that you do and you have a proven track record of asking for and closing major/transformational gifts
- You said YES to all the introductory questions
Identification | Cultivation
- Identifying prospective financial partners is driven by your innovative and creative nature, leading to unique and fresh approaches to new and existing high value donors
- Data mining and thorough information gathering are key activities you employ to research high value prospects and develop detailed donor profiles and proposals
- High-touch relational skills and your consistent and proactive approach to donor outreach through phone calls, personal correspondence, and visits are hallmarks of your success
- Building donor confidence is achieved through listening to their aspirations and responding with relevant information as they consider strategic investments
- Independently, and/or working alongside the CEO, you actively engage high value prospects to partner with Operation Smile in supporting priority programs aligned with their five- to ten-year strategic framework
- Knowing the importance of high value partners, you work with our brand team to develop appropriate recognition programs to acknowledge their participation
- Recognizing the value of volunteers, you work with them to leverage other unique relationships
- You are able to travel throughout Canada and internationally as required to accomplish the plan, participating in special activities with major donors, including visits to program sites
- Tailoring individual stewardship plans, you optimize a partner’s experience by making sure they receive milestone updates and impact reporting, receive appropriate invitations to engage with the organization, and ensure simple actions such as timely delivery of charitable tax receipts are undertaken
- You actively promote opportunities for increased partner engagement (including Planned Giving) and contribute to our Wildly Important Goal of 240 Forever Smile Club members by 2024
- While personally responsible for your own relationship portfolio, you will lead, develop, and coach a small philanthropy team of mid- and major donor specialists in achieving their own organizational objectives and goals, encouraging and guiding them to undertake proactive measures to achieve financial and relational results
- You are committed to relying on our Brand/Communications Team to equip you and the Philanthropy team with all the essential tools and resources you need to exceed expectations so you can spend more time on relationships than materials development
- Recognizing that feedback and communication are key, you will establish regular check-ins with each team member, ensuring they have the tools and resources they need to succeed and are actively pursuing and consistently achieving their targets, such as:
- identifying and qualifying new prospective donors
- proactively soliciting their partners
- networking within communities to attract new individuals to support Operation Smile’s global vision
- As leader, you support and ensure that:
- attention to the organization’s strategic plan, including annual and multi-year objectives, underscore the daily actions and progress reporting
- the importance of data and information integrity is vital, and the team ensures that all records and actions are reported and recorded in the CRM (Raisers Edge)
- You will participate as a member of the Sr. Leadership Team alongside the CEO & Chief Smile Officer, National Director of Development, Brand Marketing & Communications, National Director of Total Quality Management & Innovation, and National Director Volunteer, Staff & Community Engagement
Operation Smile Canada Foundation is dedicated to recruiting and retaining a qualified workforce. By valuing diversity, OSCF commits to hiring practices that are fair, equitable and accessible and will always hire the most qualified candidate for a position. We will ensure the search and hiring process is fair and impartial, so the appropriate qualifications of each candidate are the only criteria upon which a hiring decision is made.
Where you perform your primary work is not of concern. OSCF staff have primary and secondary workplace options. Anyone requiring assistance with the application and hiring process, please contact email@example.com.
Qualifications and Key Competencies
- Minimum of seven years’ experience in a major gifts role
- Proven track record of success in cultivation and solicitation of six and seven-figure gifts
- At least five years’ experience leading, building, and developing a philanthropy (mid/major/planned giving) team, including volunteers
- Experience working with international development organizations an asset
- Experience in mentoring staff in the knowledge of major gift fundraising principles and practices
- Experience developing and delivering successful major gift programs from a portfolio of mid-level and major donors, and prospects
- Ability to articulate effectively, intelligently, credibly and passionately the story of Operation Smile, becoming a Brand Ambassador for the organization
- Professional in demeanour with superior written and oral communication skills
- Capacity for strategic thinking, analysis, planning, and implementation
- Experience personalizing business plans and proposals
- A natural relationship builder and networker, able to mobilize multiple stakeholder groups around cause-based events
- Embraces innovation and future-oriented design thinking
- Intelligent and compassionate listener and good interpersonal communicator
- A contemporary practitioner who is cognizant and comfortable with the technologies available to them, including various applications and uses of social networking and social media
- Successful institutional grant-seeking experience
- An active member of a fundraising association or Certification/Designation in fundraising (CFRE or equivalent) is preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in business, another related field, or equivalent professional experience
- Valid driver’s licence and full ability to travel abroad to any country within our program network
- All candidates working with Operation Smile Canada must undergo a thorough screening process consisting of favourable professional reference checks and vulnerable sector screening
Primary and Secondary work locations are determined upon hiring.
The Operation Smile Canada National Office is located at:
204 - 375 University Avenue
Toronto, ON M5G 2J5
*** Under current COVID-19 restrictions, all OSCF staff are working remotely until it is safe to return back to the office. ***
The salary range for this role is: CAD $100,000 to $150,000 per year.
Application Process and Deadline
Individuals interested in being considered for this opportunity are invited to respond by February 26, 2021. Please click here to proceed to the application site. There are a few preliminary questions as part of the application process; please complete them. As well, please make sure you upload your cover letter and resume.