Posted On: 2021-02-09
Closing On: 2021-02-24
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Are You Who We’re Looking For?
Do you see yourself at a hospital foundation that has been at the forefront of raising funds to tackle the pandemic and continually excels at providing resources to care for generations of families? Do you thrive in a setting where the Next Normal is embraced not feared and where innovation, problem solving, determination, compassion and commitment frame your day to day activities? Are you a resilient, self-starter who thrives equally well in a work from home setting as you do in a traditional, team office environment?
Do you want to work for a foundation that has a strong, collegial, respectful and special bond with its hospital staff, clinical leaders, physicians and board of governors? Do you see yourself aligned with one of the Top 5 hospitals in Canada (Newsweek magazine) that is universally respected and admired for its health care leadership, culture and patient care? Do you want to contribute to the health and well being of over half a million people?
If you can imagine yourself working together to make a world of difference in the community, then North York General Foundation may be the place for you.
Constantly redefining what it means to be a ‘community hospital’, our partner, North York General is a multi-site acute, ambulatory and long term care network for our diverse community, an incubator for applied research, an innovation springboard in the health care landscape and a destination for philanthropy. Supported by an outstanding board of governors, North York General Foundation is strategically expanding the team in philanthropy, events, communications, business intelligence and donor analytics in pursuit of new ways to reach our community, demonstrate impact and raise funds for an incredible Hospital.
As we wrap up our $180 M ‘Campaign for North York General’, we are relentless in our quest to secure revenue for additional strategic campaigns as we ready ourselves for a $1B capital expansion. We are driving towards the future, building our brand, and investing in volunteer leadership and staff who are prepared to change the face of fundraising in community hospitals.
Reporting to the Director of Marketing & Communications, the Senior Communication Specialist is an experienced communications expert. You can interpret communication briefs and manage the process to produce powerful and compelling communications. You bring a natural curiosity and a high level of creativity to your writing. You have a reputation as a natural storyteller.
You thrive best in a busy work environment. The Senior Communications Specialist will be a skilled communicator and will able to interface with donors, patients and hospital staff at various levels to search out and interview for the stories and the content necessary to complete a myriad of projects. You are particularly adept at developing plain language communications for more technical reports. You have experience with creating effective video content for use in social and other media.
- Lead the researching, interviewing and writing required to produce a wide range of key internal and external communications in the brand voice, including cases for support, impact reports, newsletters, annual reports/special reports, direct marketing (mail and digital) and social media content
- Lead the development of sophisticated, major and principle gift fundraising proposals
- Write compelling fundraising and donor relations copy quickly, accurately and on deadline
- Write compelling speeches/speaking notes for senior leadership
- Act as project lead for the development of digital content
- Act as project lead for the development of video content
- Support the content development of event marketing materials
- Prioritize and keep multiple projects moving in a timely manner, meet deadlines and manage supplemental material required to complete writing projects
- Ensure that brand standards, messaging and style guidelines are adhered to in all materials prepared, and that written materials are presented in an appealing and professional manner
- Manage, maintain, organize, update and archive written materials
- Work with the Director, Marketing & Communications to build work backs, and build and/or interpret creative briefs for the development and delivery of best-in-class materials, to support all Foundation fundraising and donor relations activities
- Work closely with the Senior Design Specialist to create impactful communications
- Contribute to creative brainstorming for a variety of projects
- Proofread and fact check communications and marketing materials.
Other duties as assigned.
- An undergraduate degree in Journalism, English, Marketing, Communications or related field of study
- A post-graduate certificate/degree, and/or additional education in advancement/non-profit communications, fundraising, public relations, etc. is an asset
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills, with demonstrated ability to source and write creative, compelling and emotive stories that demonstrate the need and impact of giving
- Critical thinker and self-starter with strong organizational, research, interviewing and information-gathering skills, and demonstrated ability to adapt writing styles for various audiences and communications channels
- Ability to interpret, synthesize and articulate complex concepts into terms that are understandable and compelling to donors and prospects
- 10 plus years of relevant experience in a similar role
- Experience in fundraising communications, preferably in a hospital or healthcare setting
- Knowledge of best practices and trends within non-profit/fundraising communications
- A successful track record of producing documents that led to fundraising success
- Expert organizational and time-management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative spirit
- The ability to thrive and deliver in a high-volume, fast-paced environment
- The ability to interface with senior leadership
- Flexible and supportive team member
Position: Full Time Permanent. Occasional weekend, early morning or evening hours may be required.
To apply for this role please forward your CV and cover letter to FoundationCareers@nygh.on.ca by February 24th, 2021.
Please reference “Senior Communications Specialist” in the subject line. Only those chosen for an interview will be contacted. References will be required.