Posted On: 2021-02-12
Closing On: 2021-02-26
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Manager of Alumni Engagement
About NEXT Canada:
NEXT Canada is a national, non-profit organization that develops exceptional talent to build world class ventures and propel technology adoption. Founded in 2010 as The Next 36 by a group of pioneering business leaders and academics, NEXT Canada is today a leader in the delivery of cutting-edge programming designed to foster lifelong entrepreneurship in three streams: Next AI, Next 36 and Next Founders.
Our programs, delivered through meaningful partnerships between government and the private sector, strengthen the foundation of Canada’s current and future prosperity.
Reporting to the Chief Advancement Officer, the Manager of Alumni Engagement will be a vital part of the Advancement team, and a key contributor to the breadth of programs and services provided to our expanding alumni population.
This role spans four critically important functions:
- Alumni leadership engagement
- Alumni programs and services
- Championing alumni success
- Maintaining alumni records
Our ideal candidate will be a creative, insightful and detail oriented individual with an appetite to engage our broad alumni community. An outgoing nature will serve the successful candidate, as a de-facto voice for our alumni community. Your methodical approach to your work will complement existing systems to maintain alumni engagement strategies, while ensuring optimal alumni impact.
The ideal candidate will understand and contribute to complex strategy decisions and will share their perspective on issues that will advance the organization and its mission.
Working in a rigorous office environment, the ideal candidate balances a high degree of professionalism with an equal regard for fun and enjoyment. We are searching for a consummate professional, with a passion for entrepreneurship and fastidious attention to detail. Further, they should have a broad range of creative and technical skills that can be deployed in the advancement of this “sleeves rolled up” position.
Specific responsibilities include:
Alumni leadership engagement
- Manages the ongoing engagement of alumni involved in every level of NEXT Leadership
- Coordinates annual selection of alumni ambassadors who support program recruitment efforts
- Manages 30+ volunteers who serve on the Alumni Representative Council, and all programming that flows from this group
- Serves as lead for the CEO Alumni Advisory Board
- Ensures all stewardship deliverables are executed in a timely manner
- Serves as in-house expert on alumni (particularly for the Chief Executive Officer and Chief Advancement Officer), and provides strategic recommendations on how to capitalize on the unique strengths of our alumni community
- Coordinates briefing notes, prospective donor profiles, and sector analysis
- Highly attuned to the start-up community and able to speak to the challenges and successes our alumni may be experiencing
- Serves as the face of alumni engagement with our most active alumni
- Is a poised professional who is comfortable in public speaking environments
- Has a strong sense of accountability and responsibility
Alumni programs and services
- Oversees the delivery and execution of a broad range of programs and services for alumni:
- Works cross functionally with internal and external teams to ensure the delivery of top-quality alumni lectures and professional development
- Works with alumni volunteers to co-create alumni-led social events
- Manages all online resources available to alumni
- Facilitates booking and scheduling of limited-access alumni opportunities that may happen from time to time
- Tracks participation of attendees and produces Impact Reports
- Manages alumni program budget and associated expenses
- Maintains all Salesforce records of leadership alumni volunteers – with particular focus on ensuring comprehensive understanding of alumni preferences.
- Maintains NEXT's alumni stewardship matrix and terms of reference to ensure it is up to date, effectively utilized and properly accounted for.
Championing alumni success
- Monitors media/current affairs for insights or coverage relating to existing alumni
- Ensures Marketing is made aware of alumni achievements or milestones
- Identifies subjects for in-depth coverage in NEXT publications
- Serves as the alumni lead on key impact publications (Annual Report) by ensuring compelling impact information, and profound examples of both a personal and qualitative nature.
- Manages the creation of alumni promotional materials
- Lumen5 catalogue of outstanding alumni
- Maintains the various alumni and venture registries to ensure accuracy and timeliness
- Provides suggestions for award nominations based on knowledge of alumni community
Maintaining alumni records
- Responsible for the accurate collection and maintenance of alumni records
- Ensures alumni engagement activities are recorded in Salesforce
- Produces reports based on alumni engagement, program participation, and alumni success
- Oversees any macro-level changes that might need to be made to data collection and ensures timely updates to alumni records
- Identifies compelling ways to present alumni data
● An alumni or association professional with 3-5 years of experience
● An outgoing people person, with the ability to intrigue and excite
● Exceptional capabilities with Salesforce, Excel, PowerPoint and Word
● Well-honed creative or tech skills (Video production, Lumen5, Hivebrite)
● Outstanding communication skills (written and oral)
● Experience with data analytics, and performance analysis
● Project management skills and attention to detail
● Demonstrated ability to manage multiple deadlines
Pay and Benefits
NEXT Canada offers an RRSP program and a generous benefits package. This position has a salary range of $53k - $79k, based on qualifications and experience.
NEXT Canada values diversity in our workplace, as well as our community. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, record of offences, marital status, family status, disability or any other characteristic.
We welcome and encourage applications from everyone. If you are contacted for an interview, please advise us if you require any accessibility accommodation. Information received relating to accommodation will be confidentially maintained.
- Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com attn Kyle Winters
- Subject line Mgr. of Alumni Engagement followed by your last name
- Application deadline is Friday, February 26th at noon