Posted On: 2021-03-08
Closing On: 2021-04-08
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
The ALS Society of Canada (ALS Canada) is searching for a Development Officer to join our award-winning team. As the successful candidate, you will be responsible for revenue generation and the execution of the organization’s annual giving, monthly, partnership giving, tribute and direct marketing fundraising portfolios. Additionally, you will oversee the implementation of a comprehensive donor recognition and stewardship program.
What You Will Do:
- Meet or exceed the overall revenue targets for all annual giving, monthly, annual, partnership and direct mail portfolios set out by the operations plan
- Work with vendor partner to successfully plan and deliver the direct mail program, act as the internal lead for donor highlights, copy and approval
- Acts as the project lead on all annual giving appeals, including the monthly and year-end campaigns
- Actively prospect within Direct Mail and Annual Giving portfolios to identify opportunities for prospect cultivation, donor stewardship and/or growth opportunities
- Support Manager, Philanthropy with major donor prospect calls
- Inform budgets for Annual, Monthly, and Direct Mail, providing regular financial reports
- Responsible for the following metrics; donors retained (within the respective portfolio), new donors acquired, and amount raised as outlined in the operations plan
- Research best practices and recent trends in the area of direct mail and annual giving Development Officer Full-time permanent position
Cultivation & Stewardship
- Foster and deepen relationships with donors through emails, phone calls, invitations to events and handwritten letters
- Recommend and implement creative stewardship programs, communication tools and activities to grow and/or streamline the current portfolio of recognition activities
- Research best practices in donor relations for all programs and make recommendations for implementation through policy development and adherence
- Attend partnership events as an Ambassador of ALS Canada, speak on behalf of ALS Canada and coordinate volunteer speakers as required
- Respond to general inquiries from donors daily Development Communications
- Develop and write content for all tax receipt letters and monthly giving newsletters
- Collaborate with Marketing and Communications team regarding the development of tribute and memorial web page content
- Works with the marketing department to develop and enhance promotion and recognition tools aimed at individual donors
- Work in collaboration with internal and external partners to edit and amend direct mail messaging for appeals Misc. Support the Manager, Philanthropy with the development of the operations plan
- Work with Manager, Database and Donor Services to ensure organization database is up to-date with donor/prospect information, communication preferences and giving history
- Work in collaboration with the Senior Manager, Fund Development to vet potential sponsors and partners
- Support the Regional Managers across Ontario with donor communications, information and training and solicitation for all accountable revenue portfolios
What We Are Looking For:
- 3- 5 years’ related work experience in annual giving and/or direct mail fundraising in a not-for-profit setting
- Completion of post-secondary education or equivalent work experience in fundraising
- Strong computer skills with experience in Microsoft Office and an aptitude for database systems
- Excellent writing and strong telling skills
- Strong presentation and public speaking skill
- Strong interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to build successful working relationships with internal and external partners
- Ability to work both independently and in a team setting
- Candidates must be self-motivated, detail-oriented, and highly-organized
- Ability to be flexible and respond to a diverse workload
- High attention to detail required
- Ability to maintain accurate, timely and complete documentation and electronic records for each event/program
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times
- Discretion, compassion, and emotional resilience Preferred
- Previous experience working with CRM platforms a strong asset
- Experience in a health charity or working with individuals with a terminal illness Ability to travel and possess a valid G Class Driver’s License an asset
- Ability to speak and/or write in French an asset
Submit a cover letter and resume in pdf format, along with a portfolio demonstrating your support on recent projects, to email@example.com. Please be sure to indicate the job title in the email subject. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
ALS Canada is committed to accommodating the individual needs of job candidates, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), ALS Canada is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities within our recruitment processes. Please contact the HR department at firstname.lastname@example.org if you require an accommodation during the recruitment process.
ALS Canada is committed to being an equitable employer, we strongly encourage people from equity seeking groups to apply.
Why join ALS Canada?
A charitable organization that lives its values of accountability, collaboration, compassion, integrity, resiliency and respect, ALS Canada works with the ALS community to improve the lives of people affected by amyotrophic lateral sclerosis through support, advocacy and investment in research for a future without ALS. Fully funded by donors, we were fortunate to benefit from the generosity of Canadians during the Ice Bucket Challenge of 2014, and are now focused on implementing our 2018 to 2023 strategic plan in support of the following long-term impacts: people affected by ALS receive the best possible standard of care; more treatments are available to improve quality of life and extend lifespan; and people are empowered to make informed decisions about ALS.
Our world is challenging. The people we serve are dealing with a devastating illness. But in the midst of it, their resiliency and spirit is remarkable and moving. You will be touched by the community and will find a way to naturally and effectively engage.