Southlake Regional Health Centre
Southlake Regional Health Centre is a full-service hospital with a regional, clinically advanced focus. We provide our communities with care right from birth to end of life and in addition, we provide top-notch services such as cardiac and cancer care across York Region and Simcoe-Muskoka. We do this through innovative partnerships and amazing people, who represent every aspect of our many services. With a team of more than 3,000 employees, 580 physicians and more than 900 volunteers, Southlake is committed to creating an environment where the best experiences happen.
Southlake Regional Health Centre Foundation
Our Purpose: Build healthier communities. Shape the future of healthcare.
Since the inception of Southlake Foundation in 1980, more than $200.5 million dollars has been raised in support of Southlake Regional Health Centre. Working with members of the community, hundreds of volunteers, the Southlake Family and our incredible donors, Southlake Foundation will continue to support life-saving medical equipment, infrastructure upgrades and expansions, and patient programs, all for the goal of providing leading edge care for patients and families, close to home. For more information visit: www.southlakefoundation.ca
Are you passionate about philanthropy and looking to make a difference? Are you a strategic marketing and communications professional who likes a challenge and looks for opportunities to work with others to achieve measureable results? Do you thrive in an active, fast- paced non-profit environment? Do you have exceptional writing skills and can deliver impactful fundraising and brand communications? Are you looking for an opportunity to stretch your skills and learn new ones?
Southlake Regional Health Centre Foundation has an exciting new opportunity for the right individual to advance their career as our Marketing and Communications Specialist. We are looking for someone who is interested in helping to inspire our communities to invest in the future of Southlake Regional Health Centre, so that we can continue to deliver leading edge care, close to home in York and South Simcoe Regions.
About the Marketing and Communications Team
The Marketing & Communications team drives all Foundation marketing & communications, aligning the brand across all channels. It also supports the overall strategy for the annual giving programs, special and community events, stewardship, Major Gifts and donor experience. This includes developing an integrated marketing, communications & digital strategy to support fundraising activities Foundation-wide.
The team inspires donors through the delivery of high quality fundraising campaigns, recognition and stewardship programs, and the creation of content that helps our donors understand the impact they are making. It is also responsible for creative and digital services, proposal development, and leads and delivers all communications for the Foundation.
About the Role
Reporting to the Director, Marketing and Communications, the Marketing Communications Specialist is responsible for supporting all Southlake Foundation marketing and communications initiatives through a mix of strategy, tactical execution, storytelling and content development.
This role requires an independent, impeccable writer who is savvy in marketing and communications best practices, loves to take initiative and has incredible attention to detail. The Specialist will work with various cross-functional Foundation teams to execute succinct, goal-driven content and manage the production of blogs, articles, videos and other materials as needed. They will also play an important role in developing and maintaining relationships for the Foundation and telling meaningful stories that connect with donors.
The successful candidate must have a valid driver’s license, access to a vehicle and the ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
Duties and responsibilities:
Strategic Input and Execution
- Collaborate with the Director, Marketing & Communications to develop a communications strategy that aligns with the overall marketing strategy, engages our communities, donors and prospects, and drives significant growth and awareness for the Foundation
- Supports a proactive public/media relations program to support community engagement initiatives
- Media contact outreach - identifying opportunities to secure earned media through releases and advisories and managing income requests as well as building relationships with local media
- Help to implement effective strategies to maximize revenue, donor experience and brand expression through both day-to-day and campaign-based execution
- Stay informed with the trends in development writing and the needs of the industry by researching competitors, performing industry-related research, finding opportunities for growth
Content Development and Tactical Execution
- In support of approved marketing and communications plans, write and develop content for a variety of platforms including: print + digital materials, website, social media, speaking notes, videos, and letters
- Prepare materials to support fundraising initiatives, including donor proposals, direct mail communications and supporting messaging
- Prepare key messages, thank you letters and speaking remarks for Foundation initiatives, including cultivation events, special events and hospital activities and ceremonies
- Meet with hospital physicians, hospital executives, senior management and researchers to gather information on a variety of health care issues; translate that information into compelling and accurate materials
- Work with clinical teams and patients to identify and define and impactful patient stories
- Act as “editor” for the Foundation, editing and proofing materials to ensure quality, accuracy, and consistency by adhering to branding and communication guidelines
- Assist staff in preparing donor correspondence, providing testimonials and proofreading completed correspondence as requested
Qualifications and Experience
- Undergraduate degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism, or related field
- Minimum of 7 years of directly related experience in communications or a related field. Combination of relevant education and experience may be considered
- Familiarity with principles of fundraising and donor communication
- Good understanding of current digital and social media strategies, best practices and content creation
- Understating of video storyboarding and creative process
- Advanced writing skills to prepare material for a variety of audiences and communication platforms
- Ability to proofread others’ writing for spelling, grammar and tone, and diplomatically offer suggestions and revisions
- A high degree of comfort and experience in adapting writing style to fit the author, audience, and voice of the piece, with a passion for effective story-telling
- Ability to conduct interviews and research, and synthesize concepts and ideas into clear, concise and compelling written and designed documents
- Proven ability to build and sustain strong working relationships with colleagues and key stakeholders at all levels; capable of exercising independent judgment and flexibility
- Proficient in the use of all corporate productivity tools including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Internet Explorer
- An understanding of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator as well as video editing software would be advantages to the role, but not essential
- A basic understanding of Raiser’s Edge or other donor database management systems is an asset
- Excellent organizational, planning and time management skills; attention to detail
- Ability to work collaboratively with others on the Marketing & Communications, Foundation and cross functional teams
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple priorities and be self-motivated in a very high pressure, fast paced and demanding work environment is required
- Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of the mission and values of Southlake Foundation
If you have the qualifications, commitment, and passion to join us and raise the bar for healthcare philanthropy in our communities, we would like to hear from you. It is an exciting time to be at Southlake. Southlake Foundation offers a competitive compensation package, including a benefits package that with a defined-benefit pension program. Remuneration will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
If interested, please apply with covering letter and resume.