Posted On: 2021-04-06
Closing On: 2021-05-07
Location: Toronto, ON
Effective: as soon as possible
Employment Type: Full-Time
SENIOR MAJOR GIFTS OFFICER, ROTMAN RESEARCH INSTITUTE – BAYCREST FOUNDATION
Baycrest is a global leader in geriatric residential living, healthcare, research, innovation and education, with a special focus on brain health and aging.
Baycrest is home to a robust research and innovation network, including one of the world’s top research institutes in cognitive neuroscience, the Rotman Research Institute (“RRI”); the scientific headquarters of the Canadian Consortium on Neurodegeneration in Aging, Canada’s largest national dementia research initiative; and the Baycrest-powered Centre for Aging + Brain Health Innovation, a solution accelerator focused on driving innovation in the aging and brain health sector. Fully affiliated with the University of Toronto, Baycrest provides excellent care for older adults combined with an extensive clinical training program for the next generation of healthcare professionals. Through these initiatives, Baycrest has remained at the forefront of the fight to defeat dementia as the organization works to create a world where every older adult enjoys a life of purpose, inspiration and fulfilment.
Rotman Research Institute
Founded in 1989, the RRI is a premier international centre for the study of human brain function. World renowned scientists at the RRI advance the foundational knowledge of aging and the brain and promote effective care and improved quality of life of older adults. The RRI focuses on four primary research themes: Cognitive Neuroscience, Neuroinformatics, Aging and Brain Health, and Alzheimer’s and Related Dementias (with subfoci of prevention, early detection, and treatment). The RRI serves as an umbrella for all research at Baycrest and houses several units such as the Kunin-Lunenfeld Centre for Applied Research & Evaluation, the Research Training Centre, the Clinical Trials Unit, the Kimel Family Centre for Brain Health & Wellness, and the Ben & Hilda Katz Inter-Professional Research Program in Geriatric and Dementia Care.
Baycrest Foundation’s mission is to enrich the quality of life for our community by providing crucial funding to Baycrest in support of programs and services that promote excellence in care, research, education and innovation in brain health and aging.
Now, more than ever, we must support Canada’s seniors and gain a better understanding of how aging impacts brain function and wellness. We are seeking a Senior Major Gifts Officer who is passionate about making a difference in the lives of older adults and advancing science, to advance Toronto’s Rotman Research Institute (RRI) at Baycrest, one of the top five most research-intensive hospitals in Canada.
Working collaboratively with colleagues in the Baycrest Foundation and stakeholders in the RRI, the incumbent will advance Baycrest’s major gift fundraising efforts for research by 1) identifying and building exceptional relationships with a portfolio of major gifts donors; and by 2) soliciting and securing major funding for research activities at RRI. The incumbent also will support fundraising for other academic initiatives at Baycrest, including educational initiatives.
Position Title: Senior Major Gifts Officer, Rotman Research Institute
Location: Toronto, ON
Reports to: Chief Development Officer (direct)
Vice President of Research and Managing Director, Rotman Research Institute (dotted line)
The scope of responsibility includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Identifying, developing and managing a portfolio of leadership gifts ($100,000+), donors and prospects as the primary relationship manager.
- In collaboration with the Chief Development Officer, Foundation President and RRI Managing Director, scoping and building relationships with donors, designing and executing strategic cultivation, and soliciting plans for all assigned prospects.
- Working closely with the RRI Managing Director and the Foundation team to proactively identify and translate funding opportunities into cases for support and proposals, while keeping other fundraising partners informed and involved to maintain momentum on various projects.
- Managing and supporting major gifts donor activities, developing donor solicitation and continued engagement strategies, preparing effective briefing notes and other campaign materials.
- Working with internal team members, external legal counsel, etc. to negotiate and structure complex major gifts.
- Tracking and assessing major gift fundraising metrics, and identifying strategies for potential success enhancement.
- Contribute to strategy and planning processes for the RRI with a fundraising lens, attend regular RRI tactical planning meetings, liaise with RRI scientists, staff and other contributors to research and the academic mission across the Baycrest campus, to develop and maintain a complete understanding of the work and mission of the RRI and of research at Baycrest more broadly.
The ideal candidate will bring the following skills and experiences:
- Substantial emotional intelligence and solid experience (four+ years) in relationship building, negotiation, and deal closing with major donors for research and related academic initiatives (experience fundraising for aging, neuroscience, and/or health research is a bonus).
- A proven track record in consistent growth in fundraising results, with a passionate drive to exceed targets, go the extra mile, and take a proactive and creative approach to fundraising.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building-skills, and natural ability to exert influence, develop personal and effective working relationships, and inspire confidence and trust in donors, leaders and stakeholders.
- Highly effective at working independently, balancing multiple priorities and acting as a team player.
- Superior ability to communicate a compelling and inspired vision, with outstanding oral and written communication skills through a variety of mediums (e.g., email, phone, social media, virtual meetings, and in-person with small and large groups).
- A university degree is required; and Certificate in Fundraising Management or equivalent is an asset.
Baycrest Foundation offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience.
The Baycrest Foundation and the Rotman Research Institute are committed to fostering a climate of equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility. This commitment is central to, and mutually supportive of, our research excellence mandate. We welcome and respect the diversity of all members of our community, and we support an inclusive culture for our clients, families, research scientists, staff, and participants, trainees, volunteers, trustees, and partners. We welcome applications from Black individuals and other racialized persons, Indigenous Peoples, women, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2SA+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas within our community. We are committed to fair assessment of a candidate’s abilities, and consideration for diversity of thought, method, and experience, including non-traditional career paths. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process where needed.
A detailed position profile is available upon request.
Siegel Executive Search Solutions Inc., member of the Executive Search Alliance, is advising Baycrest Foundation on the basis of an exclusive consulting assignment. Interested applicants may explore this opportunity in confidence by submitting a resume and cover letter to email@example.com no later than May 14th, 2021. The publication of this advertisement is neither an assurance that an applicant will be hired, nor that the position will be held open for any specific period of time in the event that a suitable candidate for the position is identified at an earlier date. We thank all applicants for their interest but only those who are considered for an interview will be contacted.