Posted On: 2021-04-22
Closing On: 2021-05-21
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Are You Who We’re Looking For?
Do you see yourself at a hospital foundation that has been at the forefront of raising funds to tackle the pandemic and continually excels at providing resources to care for generations of families? Do you thrive in a setting where the Next Normal is embraced not feared and where innovation, problem solving, determination, compassion and commitment frame your day to day activities? Are you a resilient, self-starter who thrives equally well in a work from home setting as you do in a traditional, team office environment?
Do you want to work for a foundation that has a strong, collegial, respectful and special bond with its hospital staff, clinical leaders, physicians and board of governors? Do you see yourself aligned with the #1 community hospital in Canada (Newsweek magazine) that is universally respected and admired for its health care leadership, culture and patient care? Do you want to contribute to the health and well being of over half a million people?
If you can imagine yourself working together to make a world of difference in the community, then North York General Foundation may be the place for you.
About North York General Foundation
Constantly redefining what it means to be a ‘community hospital’, our partner, North York General is a multi-site acute, ambulatory and long term care network for our diverse community, an incubator for applied research, an innovation spring board in the health care landscape and a destination for philanthropy. Supported by an outstanding board of governors, North York General Foundation is strategically expanding the team in philanthropy, events, communications, business intelligence and donor analytics in pursuit of new ways to reach our community, demonstrate impact and raise funds for an incredible Hospital.
As we wrap up our $180 M ‘Campaign for North York General’, we are relentless in our quest to secure revenue for additional strategic campaigns as we ready ourselves for a $1B capital expansion. We are driving towards the future, building our brand, and investing in volunteer leadership and staff who are prepared to change the face of fundraising in community hospitals.
Reporting to the Chief Marketing & Communications Officer, the Senior Communication Specialist is an experienced communications expert with exceptional writing skills. You have demonstrated success producing impactful communications built on strong storytelling, and you bring a natural curiosity and a high level of creativity to your work.
You thrive best in a busy work environment. The Senior Communications Specialist will be a skilled communicator and will able to interface with donors, patients and hospital staff at various levels to search out and interview for the stories and the content necessary to complete a myriad of projects. You are particularly adept at developing plain language communications from technical content. You also have experience with creating effective video content for use in social and other media.
- Lead the researching, interviewing and writing required to produce a wide range of key internal and external communications in the brand voice and with compelling storytelling, primarily for direct marketing (mail and digital), social media content, newsletters, website content (blogs and landing pages) and event marketing material, but also for cases for support, impact reports, and special reports from time to time
- Uncover powerful stories and content, and curate a robust communications calendar to raise awareness for the hospital and generate fundraising revenue
- Write impactful copy quickly, accurately and on deadline
- Act as project lead for the development of digital and video content
- Prioritize and keep multiple projects moving in a timely manner, meet deadlines and manage supplemental material required to complete writing projects
- Ensure that brand standards, messaging and style guidelines are adhered to in all materials prepared, and that written materials are presented in an appealing and professional manner
- Manage, maintain, organize, update and archive written materials
- Work with the Chief Marketing & Communications Officer to build work backs, and/or interpret creative briefs for the development and delivery of best-in-class materials, to support Foundation fundraising activities
- Work closely with the Design Specialist to create impactful communications
- Contribute to creative brainstorming for a variety of projects
- Proofread and fact check communications and marketing materials.
- An undergraduate degree in Journalism, English, Marketing, Communications or related field of study
- A post-graduate certificate/degree, and/or additional education in advancement/non-profit communications, fundraising, public relations, etc. is an asset
- 10+ years of relevant experience in a similar role, ideally in a fundraising and/or healthcare setting
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills, with demonstrated ability to source and write creative, compelling and emotive stories that demonstrate impact
- Experience crafting content for digital mediums, including social media, email marketing campaigns and websites/blogs
- Critical thinker and self-starter with strong organizational, research, interviewing and information-gathering skills, and demonstrated ability to adapt writing styles for various audiences and communications channels
- Ability to interpret, synthesize and articulate complex concepts into terms that are understandable and compelling to donors and prospects
- Ability to strategically identify content for various needs and to source information through internal and external resources
- Knowledge of best-practices and trends within non-profit/fundraising communications a strong asset
- Expert project management and time-management skills with the ability to be proactive and work independently
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative spirit
- The ability to thrive and deliver in a high-volume, fast-paced environment
- The ability to interface with senior leadership
- Flexible and supportive team member
To apply for this role please forward your CV and cover letter to FoundationCareers@nygh.on.ca by May 21, 2021. Please reference “Senior Communications Specialist” in the subject line. Only those chosen for an interview will be contacted. References will be required.