Posted On: 2021-04-27
Closing On: 2021-05-14
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Contract
Full-Time 10-Month Contract
Due to COVID-19 Guidelines, this role is 100% remote / work from home until further notice. CAMH Foundation is committed to the health, safety and well-being of our team and community.
Hi! I’m Andrew Chung, Director, Philanthropy. I’ve spent most of my career in healthcare and equity-focused philanthropy to support organizations with ambitious goals to improve the lives of people and communities. I believe philanthropy is a singular platform to inspire hope and purpose in people towards meaningful action. We have a unique opportunity to catalyze change by fostering a caring community that believes in their own power to make a deep and lasting impact for generations to come.
I invite you to join me for a conversation about your interest in CAMH, have the chance to meet members of our incredible team, and tell me more about how your career aspirations align with our bold journey to create a world where mental health is health. I consider this interview process to be as much about us as it is about you. To make sure that our team is the right fit for you, we look forward to sharing more about our priorities and workplace culture.
With a dedicated staff of more than 3,000 physicians, clinicians, researchers, educators and support staff, CAMH offers outstanding clinical care to more than 34,000 patients each year. The organization conducts ground-breaking research, provides expert training to health care professionals and scientists, develops innovative health promotion and prevention strategies, and advocates on public policy issues at all levels of government.
CAMH Foundation is charged with raising and stewarding funds in support of CAMH. Its role is to help transform the way we understand and address mental illness by raising awareness and increasing engagement across the country. Generous and dedicated supporters help CAMH advance discovery and innovation, build spaces that promote recovery, and break down the stigma of mental illness.
With a vision to inspire philanthropy to solve the greatest mental health challenges of our time, the philanthropy team is responsible for inspiring philanthropic support from individuals in the private sector, making up over 70% of CAMH Foundation’s annual revenue. As members of the team, we are committed to being positive culture carriers, adaptable change agents, clear, proactive communicators and to leading a culture of helpfulness. Team members approach their work from the perspective of curiosity and a common purpose to nurture life-long relationships outside and inside CAMH.
We are looking for a Senior Philanthropy Officer (SPO) for a 10-month contract to join our team. Reporting to Andrew Chung, Director, Philanthropy, you are accountable for inspiring philanthropy in support of the greatest mental health challenges of our time.
You will contribute to the collective revenue goals of the Philanthropy team, by inspiring aspirational major gifts in support of the CAMH mission. You will be responsible for a donor pipeline of 125-150 major gift prospects and accountable for supporting the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donors who have capacity to support CAMH with multi-year gifts in the range of $100,000 - $1M+.
You will work closely with hospital partners, clinicians and researchers to ensure alignment between identified funding priorities and the values and interests of donors.
YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR
Fundraising Activity & Revenue
- Managing a pipeline of 125-150 major gift donors and prospects, and a production goal of $3M, supported by the efforts of Campaign Cabinet volunteers (precise annual goals to be set and aligned with the goals of CAMH’s comprehensive campaign, currently Building Better Tomorrows).
- Identifying new prospective donors across the private sector (individuals and foundations).
- Developing and initiating meaningful cultivation plans for major gift level prospects and donors ($100,000 - $1M+ range), including introducing donors to key CAMH relationships to create deep and meaningful connections.
- Writing engaging donor proposals and inspirational donor materials.
- Providing regular activity reports and updates regarding goal progress to Director, Philanthropy and shared across Philanthropy team colleagues, in support of collective team goals.
- Modelling the Philanthropy team’s commitments: being a positive culture carrier, contributing to a culture of helpfulness, being an adaptable change agent, and a clear, proactive communicator.
- Contributing to a strong culture for philanthropy across CAMH by creating collaborative partnerships with Hospital peers, and specifically through the engagement of clinicians, researchers and staff in philanthropy.
- Working closely with CAMH Foundation colleagues in an integrated manner to support the full cycle of donor engagement (from prospect research through to proposal development).
- Collaborating across the broader CAMH Foundation team, including playing a key role in active lead generation strategies between mid-level, planned giving and major gift donors.
- Guiding donors and prospects to multiple CAMH relationships throughout their donor journey (with volunteers/Board, senior leadership, Hospital staff).
- Serving as lead staff manager on top Campaign donor strategies within your portfolio, where multiple CAMH relationships are required to create a holistic engagement experience.
Volunteer Leadership & Coaching
- Supporting the recruitment of volunteers for the purposes of recruitment efforts for the Campaign and the Board.
- Managing and support the volunteer team year round.
- Inspiring and effectively engaging Campaign Cabinet volunteers in the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major gift donors.
- Supporting Campaign Cabinet volunteers by leading regular prospect activity meetings.
- Building cultivation and engagement plans for Campaign Cabinet volunteers, including their individual giving.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING TO THE TEAM
- You are an experienced fundraiser or sales leader, with a demonstrated track record of securing commitments between $100,000 – $1M+.
- You are a strong communicator, verbally and with strategic writing experience, specifically producing inspiring proposals.
- You have experience working with and coaching senior community volunteers in support of a collective vision, such as a charitable mission.
- You are committed to fostering an anti-racist culture of philanthropy.
- You have experience in a complex philanthropy environment (i.e. healthcare, academic) and a comprehensive capital campaign environment, is considered an asset.
- You are committed to ongoing professional development, with a growth mindset.
Don’t sweat it if you don’t have everything listed above. We believe in growth and curiosity. If you have some of these qualities and believe this is the position that will make you excited to come into work every day, then we want to hear from you!
To apply: Submit your cover letter and resume to: HR.Foundation@camh.ca
Deadline to apply: May 14, 2021 (by Midnight EST)
Starting Salary: $95,000 annually
CAMH Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out! Please contact Wil Steller, Senior Manager, HR & Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are committed to being an equitable and inclusive work environment.
Our north star is creating hope and improving outcomes for people living with mental illness. We work in respectful partnerships with each other and our hospital partners to inspire philanthropy and raise awareness in support of mental health.
CAMH is a Tobacco-Free Organization.
CAMH is fully affiliated with the University of Toronto and is a teaching hospital and research institute.
CAMH Foundation thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.