A Career Opportunity
UNICEF is the world’s farthest-reaching humanitarian organization for children. Across 190 countries and territories, and in the world’s toughest places, we work day in and day out to help children survive. To defend their rights. To keep them protected, healthy and educated. To give them a fair chance to fulfil their potential. Our work for every child relies entirely on voluntary support, including donations from generous Canadians.
Officer, Donor Experience & Operations
(Permanent; Full-time; based in Toronto)
The Officer, Donor Experience & Operations works as an integral member of the Donor Relations team to lead the behind-the-scenes development and project management of donor cultivation and engagement activities ensuring major donors, corporate and community partners have a unique and meaningful experience in a manner consistent with UNICEF Canada’s mission, vision and goals.
This role reports to the Director, Development (Donor Relations) and will primarily be focused on the operations, facilitation and logistics of cultivation, solicitation and stewardship activities as well as projects and processes that support an improved donor experience. A subject matter expert across multiple revenue streams (major gift, corporate, community, events and legacy), this person will need to anticipate and understand the needs of the various lines of business and make strategic recommendations for what’s needed and be able to deliver it. The role provides frequent opportunities to coordinate across teams and support the development team in effectively building high-value partnerships and relationships, essential to achieving our fundraising and revenue targets.
The responsibilities of the position will include:
Project Management & Donor Events (40%)
- Lead the planning and implementation of development team events, engagement activities and conferences in accordance with segment donor journeys, annual cultivation and stewardship plans.
- Architect and implement cross-functional project plans, work back schedules, tracking and tools to support the team’s ability to manage multiple priorities in a timely manner and deliver on schedule.
- Lead projects across multiple teams and guide the process as it relates to the overall strategy.
- Support partnership/relationship managers in the implementation of the corporate and major donor recognition matrixes.
- Provide insight and recommendations to the development and implementation of annual operating plans, collaborating with Directors and program managers on annual budgets, program reviews and progress.
- Facilitate the ongoing review and development of business rules, ensuring industry best practice, cross-team coordination and training.
Development Operations (35%)
- Work with relationship managers to provide insights and recommendations for best practices to cultivate, recognize, engage and retain partners/donors.
- Identify opportunities for process improvements and efficiencies and collaborate across internal teams to implement while ensuring that fundraising activities and operational requirements and business rules are aligned.
- Identify & spearhead opportunities for digital transformation to improve the donor experience and/or help facilitate the work of relationship/partnership managers.
- Ensure the timely and accurate capture, management, reporting and analysis of data on behalf of the development team.
- Monitor financial and gift reports, ensuring proper coding and tracking of gifts in Raiser’s Edge to accurately reflect gift allocation and donor intent.
- Proactively input, monitor and prompt key stewardship and engagement activities ensuring we are achieving key milestones such as timely delivery of tax receipts, thank you letters, reporting and recognition and others as outlined in the benefits matrix and partnership agreements.
- Provide support to the CDO and leadership team in tracking KPI’s, activities, financial reporting, briefing documents and other resources that proactively facilitate engagement of prospects, donors and leadership volunteers.
Donor Content & Administration (25%)
- Lead the creation of materials for events and engagement activities including briefing docs, invitations, bios, scripts, meeting packages etc.
- Work with the Manager, Board Relations and Executive Team to ensure the timely creation of board and Honourary Council resources, engagement activities and communications.
- Manage and track required documentation and partnership agreements such as legal agreements, contracts and donor commitments, ensuring they are up to date, accurate and being appropriately delivered on.
- Assist in the development, coordination and implementation of content plans with Fundraising Directors, Marketing and Communications to execute major donor mailings (such as the Annual Report) and impact report distribution.
- Manage centralization of content and resources for the development team.
- Maintain positive relationships with relationship/partnership managers to ensure, through identification and implementation of regular reporting and reminders, that key donor cultivation, stewardship and reporting touchpoints are occurring in a timely manner.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A post secondary degree, diploma or equivalent years’ work experience with a focus in project management, fundraising or other related discipline.
- A minimum of two (2) to three (3) years’ work experience preferably in operations or event/project management.
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office) and in depth knowledge of Raiser’s Edge or other relational fundraising databases.
- A results-driven approach with the ability to work in a fast paced environment, prioritize and multi-task, while being organized, detail-oriented, with strong follow through.
- Proven ability to work with internal stakeholders at all levels and ability to coordinate complex projects across teams along with customer service skills; sound judgement and risk management.
- A strong understanding of what donors are looking for and industry best practice and provides a donor-centric approach to their work.
- The ability to think strategically and work independently in driving new initiatives or enhancing existing programs.
- The understanding that occasional flexible hours may be necessary to accommodate time differences, evening/ weekend events, donor support or organizational resource management.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- French language skills (an asset).
Salary range $43,500 to $51,000 per year.
For consideration, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by May 14, 2021. Please attach your cover letter (including salary expectations) and resume as one document and reference “Officer, Donor Experience & Operations” clearly in the subject heading.
UNICEF Canada sincerely thanks all applicants for their expressed interest in this opportunity, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Consistent with our Child Safeguarding Policy, the successful candidate must receive clearance by a police background check, including a vulnerable sector screen.
UNICEF Canada is an inclusive workplace and is committed to championing diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the requirements for the position.