Posted On: 2021-05-04
Closing On: 2021-05-14
Location: Toronto, ON
Effective: June 2021
Employment Type: Full-Time
ABOUT THE STOP:
The Stop Community Food Centre’s mission is to increase access to healthy food in a manner that maintains dignity, builds community, and challenges inequality. The Stop began over 35 years ago as one of North America’s first food banks, and has since grown into a vibrant community centre that uses food as a gateway to addressing many issues, including poverty, the environment, social isolation, and health in one of Toronto’s lowest-income neighbourhoods.
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, The Stop has continued to orient our program delivery and advocacy efforts around the significance of food in building healthier and more equitable communities.
Reporting to the Director-Development & Communications, the Major Gifts Officer is an integral part of the Communications & Fundraising team and is responsible for working independently while at the same time being an integral part of the team, using your relationship building, problem-solving, and analytical and critical thinking skills to keep donors engaged in our work.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop strategies and work with the Development team and Director of Development and Communications to advance fundraising needs of The Stop and maximize major and legacy gift opportunities. Develop and lead tailored short-term and long-term strategic plans for individual and corporate giving.
- Follow and improve on current plans for donor engagement, including volunteer opportunities, site visits, personalized videos, cultivation events, personal visits, etc. This includes all aspects of donor prospecting, donor journeys, and stewardship.
- Recommend priorities for engagement to the Director of Development based on research and organizational needs.
- Work closely with Development team members to identify and implement effective strategies that will support special projects or campaigns.
- Cultivate relationships and manage a portfolio of around 200 prospects including new, existing, and lapsed donors.
- Personally solicit prospects for special projects at a major gift level.
- Plan and implement cultivation and fundraising initiatives with the Development team.
- Prepare donor correspondence, gift agreements, briefing materials, and project and program profiles for a suite of fundraising initiatives for personal approaches and in support of the ED, volunteers and senior leaders.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of donor communications in the donor database (Raiser’s Edge) using best practices and procedures.
- Provide quarterly reports on activities and metrics.
- Assist in other duties as required in furthering the goals of the Development team.
- Act as an ambassador for The Stop in the community; support the execution of and attend events as needed, to cultivate and steward attendees.
- Work with an external vendor to develop and launch a robust planned giving program.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS:
- Commitment to anti-racism/anti-oppression, community-centric fundraising, and helping the community.
- 7+ years of relationship building experience in a high activity charitable/non-profit environment or equivalent
- Demonstrated track record of cultivating, soliciting and closing legacy and major gifts.
- Knowledge of the Canadian charitable sector and able to comply with CRA regulations.
- Ability to operate and thrive in a collaborative environment, as well as to work independently.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; personable and approachable character.
- Proficiency with Raiser’s Edge or equivalent, Teams, Word, Zoom, One Drive and Excel.
- Comfortable in front of a camera and recording personalized thank you videos.
Salary/Wage Rate: $58,000 - $63,000 annually + benefits package
This is a Bargaining Unit position
Term: Full Time Permanent
Hours: 37.5 Week
Start date: June 1st, 2021
Please include a cover letter and resume to the attention of Hiring Committee with the subject Sr. Development Officer, Major Gifts, please submit applications no later than Friday May 10th, 2021. - https://thestop.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=25
The Stop is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and encourages applicants from equity-seeking groups.
If you identify as a person with a disability and require any specific accommodations during the hiring process, please let us know in advance along with your application.
The Stop is committed to providing ongoing training and supports to ensure success in this role. Thank you for your interest in The Stop.