Posted On: 2021-05-21
Closing On: 2021-06-11
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Director, Major Gifts and Corporate Partnerships
Do you see yourself at a hospital foundation that has been at the forefront of raising funds to tackle the pandemic and continually excels at providing resources to care for generations of families? Do you thrive in a setting where the Next Normal is embraced not feared and where innovation, problem solving, determination, compassion and commitment frame your day to day activities? Are you a resilient, self-starter who thrives equally well in a work from home setting as you do in a traditional, team office environment?
Do you want to work for a foundation that has a strong, collegial, respectful, and special bond with its hospital staff, clinical leaders, physicians, and board of governors? Do you see yourself aligned with the number 1 ranked community hospital in Canada and one of the Top 5 hospitals in Canada (Newsweek magazine) that is universally respected and admired for its health care leadership, culture, and patient care? Do you want to contribute to the health and well being of over half a million people?
If you can imagine yourself working together to make a world of difference in the community, then North York General Foundation may be the place for you.
About North York General Foundation
Constantly redefining what it means to be a ‘community hospital’, our partner, North York General is a multi-site acute, ambulatory and long-term care network for our diverse community, an incubator for applied research, an innovation spring board in the health care landscape and a destination for philanthropy. Supported by an outstanding board of governors, North York General Foundation is strategically expanding the team in philanthropy, events, communications, business intelligence and donor analytics in pursuit of new ways to reach our community, demonstrate impact and raise funds for an incredible Hospital.
As we wrap up our $180 M ‘Campaign for North York General’, we are relentless in our quest to secure revenue for additional strategic campaigns as we ready ourselves for a $1B capital expansion. We are driving towards the future, building our brand, and investing in volunteer leadership and staff who are o changing the face of fundraising in community hospitals.
Reporting to the Vice President, Philanthropy and Strategy, the Director, Major Gifts and Corporate Partnerships [“Director”] provides leadership, coaching and mentoring to North York General Foundation's philanthropy team. The Director contributes to the planning and implementation of Foundation strategies to maximize individual, corporate and Foundation donor support. In addition to leading diaspora and corporate philanthropy, the Director will formulate strategies for soliciting 5, 6 and 7 figure gifts with appropriate consultation and assistance from volunteer leaders and senior management. Leading by example, the Director will build a personal portfolio of 50-80 prospects.
- Manage the philanthropy team including recruitment and retention, coaching and mentoring, establishing, and achieving fundraising goals and performance management.
- Support the Vice President, Philanthropy and Strategy in the development of an annual revenue plan including preparing and managing the team budget
- Plan, direct and establish overall objectives and priorities for the philanthropy team (both professional and organizational)
- Engage regularly with relevant hospital and volunteer leadership, staff and physicians
- Work with colleagues to plan and execute proposals and targeted communications for current and potential major gift donors
- Assist the Vice President, Philanthropy and Strategy on special projects that will enable the team to meet annual and strategic planning goals
- Work as a team player promoting a positive and professional work environment and conduct the role with integrity and respect
- Act as an Ambassador throughout the community, positively representing the hospital and the Foundation
- Manage a portfolio of 50-80 major gift prospects with specific annual revenue and pledge targets
- Drive the Corporate and Diaspora strategy as two of the top priorities of the Foundation
- Support Foundation special events through the solicitation of high-level sponsorships
- Lead the planned giving program
Relationship and Alliance Building
- Builds, develops, and maintains effective and mutually beneficial partnerships with key stakeholders within NYGH and the Foundation, building awareness and gaining support to further the goals and objectives of the Foundation.
- Works with or supports Foundation key volunteers, NYGH senior staff and physicians to develop and build linkages between the Foundation’s leadership prospects and NYGH.
- A university degree or a combination of comparable skills and experience.
- CFRE an asset
- 7+ years of major gift experience and 3 years of managing a team of fundraisers
- Knowledge and experience in managing a planned giving program an asset
- Hospital fundraising experience preferred
Solid Leadership Skills
- Proven change-management ability especially related to rigor and discipline in a sophisticated business operation.
- An aptitude for developing new revenue opportunities.
- A bias for measurable performance, a sense of urgency, and a strong commitment to personal accountability for results.
- Ability to lead a functionally diverse team toward a unified objective, ensuring resources available for the team.
- A reputation for leading by example, mentoring, building the skills and competencies of others, and gaining respect and credibility at all levels.
- Exceptional team player.
Critical / Analytical Thinking
- A forward-thinking orientation, able to anticipate the long-term implications of decision, plans for contingencies and anticipates obstacles not readily apparent to others.
Organizational Effectiveness and Effective Communication
- A willingness to share knowledge and expertise with others.
- A value system that acknowledges the opinions of others and creates an environment in which others feel comfortable sharing divergent points of view.
- An open communication style that welcomes and provides timely, effective feedback, contributing to individual and organizational success.
- Acts as a role model to staff and others demonstrates the highest standards of professionalism, confidentiality and sensitivity.
- A commitment to personal excellence and highest standards of responsibility.
Creativity and Innovation
- A history of generating new ideas which are innovative and strategically sound.
- A leadership style that fosters an innovative environment, and encourages constructively challenging the status quo; encourages creativity, innovation and adaptability on others.
How to Apply
North York General Foundation recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age.
We offer a competitive, comprehensive compensation/benefits package, a flexible working environment, and an opportunity to grow with an organization that is the employer of choice in the not-for-profit sector.
To apply for this role please forward your CV and Cover Letter to FoundationCareers@nygh.on.ca by June 11th. Please reference “Director, Major Gifts and Corporate Partnerships” in the subject line and you will be contacted if we feel there is a great fit.