ASSOCIATE VICE PRESIDENT, COMMUNICATIONS & MARKETING
The Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) showcases art, culture and nature from around the world and across the ages. Among the top 10 cultural institutions in North America, Canada’s largest and most-visited museum is home to a world-class collection of 13 million artworks, cultural objects and natural history specimens, featured in 40 gallery and exhibition spaces. More than 1.34 million people visited the ROM IN 2019. ROM experiences transform lives by helping people to understand the past, make sense of the present, and come together to shape a shared future.
By exploring the intersection of art, culture and nature, the ROM is uniquely positioned to facilitate public engagement with the pressing ideas and topics that will define this century, as part of our Strategic Plan. These include such disparate and relevant subjects as climate change and the rise of the global city. The ROM is committed to removing financial, social, and cultural barriers for diverse communities to access their Museum, providing 100,000 free visits annually and collaborating with 100 community partners across Ontario. The Museum is poised to launch a major fundraising campaign to usher in our next century of building and sharing global collections, creating knowledge, inspiring learning and sparking exchange on the issues that matter to people and communities.
ROM Governors (the ROM Foundation) are responsible for all philanthropic activities in support of the Museum’s highest priorities. Its work enables the ROM to better serve its diverse and ever-changing community, by fostering long-term sustainable relationships of exceptional value both to the institution and its donors and through a wide range of charitable activities supporting ROM research, collections, galleries, exhibitions, learning and outreach programs.
PRIMARY OBJECTIVE OF POSITION:
Reporting to the Vice President, Engagement and Marketing, the Associate Vice President, Communications & Marketing is responsible for the development, integration, implementation, and assessment of a comprehensive, strategic communications and marketing plan that articulates and supports the philanthropic mission, brand reputation, and positioning of the ROM Governors to strengthen relationships and further its business goals, campaign activity and charitable objectives. The AVP mentors and leads a creative team of four writers and designers and is an active part of a senior leadership group within ROM Governors.
KEY RESULT AREAS:
- Lead the generation of a suite of high-calibre multi-media communications vehicles and publications supporting the ROM Governors priority projects and business objectives including compelling campaign communications, cases for support, proposals, impact reports, correspondence, media releases, articles, speeches, newsletters, social media and website content, annual campaigns, videos and digital presentations.
- Express the strong, consistent brand voice through effective and authentic storytelling across a variety of media that inspires support; and create content through a philanthropic lens for various audiences including donors, sponsors, volunteers, staff, and social media followers.
- Bring complex ideas to life across many publics with versatile writing that is strategic and aligned with the ROM brand.
- Manage a high volume of projects, deadlines, and complex approvals within the ROM Governors Marketing & Communications portfolio.
- Collaborate on workflow planning for all ROM Governors communications collateral.
- Manage ROM Governors content in the publications of ROM Magazine.
- Collaborate with Events and Philanthropy teams on creative development, communications, and branding of special events to maximize opportunities to engage new donors, generate positive media coverage, grow promotional partnerships, and raise funds.
- Collaborate on strategic branding activities and partnerships with the ROM, especially with its Communications, Marketing, New Media, Creative and Publications departments.
- Work collaboratively with senior staff and key volunteers to develop innovative and compelling positioning and content for a major multi-phase, multi-year campaign that will dramatically enhance the ROM.
- Work collaboratively with ROM curatorial and senior staff to develop strong, convincing content for proposals, presentations, reports, advertisements, promotions, and media.
- Work with VP, Engagement & Marketing to fuel organizational culture change through internal communications.
- Work with VP, Engagement & Marketing to sensitively and proactively handle public relations issues that may emerge.
- Recognize and seize opportunities that will benefit the positioning and business goals of ROM Governors.
- Solicit major media sponsorships and promotional partnerships that align with the ROM brand and work to meet the objectives of ROM Governors. Manage ongoing relationships and oversee fulfillment of partnerships to generate significant GIK value.
- Maintain industry and sectorial awareness of new approaches and trends in non-profit communications.
- The AVP, Communications & Marketing should possess a university degree in arts, journalism, marketing, communications, or other relevant subject areas.
- Must have a minimum of 7-10 years of experience in a senior communications capacity with direct responsibility for developing and implementing communications strategies for internal and external audiences.
- Proven strategic and innovative leadership experience and expertise in all areas of campaign and corporate communications, with demonstrated success achieving results.
- Experience with philanthropic campaign communications, not-for-profit, cultural environment with proven ability to smoothly handle a large portfolio, manage a team, work well in a fast-paced collaborative environment.
- Meticulously organized and capable of dealing with a multitude of diverse activities, generally under tight deadlines and competing schedules.
- Proven exceptional oral and written communication skills – versatile, flexible, creative – speaking or writing effectively on complex issues, diverse themes, and wide-ranging subject matter to a broad range of audiences.
- Proven organizational and managerial skills, including staff leadership, budget, and project management.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and professional presence necessary to interact with curators, donors, volunteers, senior Governors and Museum staff and other stakeholders.
- Ability to build consensus, work with senior executives and navigate the complexities and needs of a multi-stakeholder environment.
- Ability to mentor team of high-performing individuals to meet multiple deadlines and manage a diverse range of assignments in a fast-paced environment with thorough attention to detail and creativity.
- Expertise with the full range of communication vehicles, including web and social media.
- Professionalism, resourcefulness, and independence, while remaining comfortable working within the framework of a team-oriented environment that values collaboration and input from others.
- Experience in media relations and public affairs, as well as sensitive, proactive issues management, and crisis communications.
- Knowledge of the philanthropic sector and understanding/articulating the vision, mission and values of the ROM and role of the ROM Governors.
- A track record of developing and maintaining strong relations with local and national media, government, donors, volunteers, community groups and other stakeholders.
- Self-motivated, creative, flexible, positive, and energetic.
- Sound technical experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint) and Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop); knowledge of MAC OS and Keynote.
- Familiarity with copyright/intellectual property issues.
- A flexible schedule that allows for occasional after-hours events.
Reports to: Vice-President, Engagement & Marketing, ROM Governors
Starting Date: As soon as possible. (This position and all ROM Governors staff are currently working remotely, as a result, recruitment will occur via MS Teams. Access to the building is permitted as required for donor activities, pending guidance of the province ongoing.)
Hiring Range: $105,000 to $120,000 per annum plus benefits
Application deadline: Resumes with cover letter and portfolio samples will be accepted until 5:00 pm on June 16, 2021. Please send to:
Kelly Manchuk, Human Resources Assistant, Royal Ontario Museum Governors, 100 Queen’s Park, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2C6; Fax: 416-586-5827; (preferred) by email: email@example.com – please include # 2021-018 - Associate Vice President, Communications & Marketing in the subject line.
The ROM Governors is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The ROM Governors wishes to thank all who apply, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
At the ROM Governors, we consider equity, diversity, and inclusivity to be foundational to our institutional success. We seek to foster a workplace that reflects [the full breadth of] the communities we serve and welcome applications from women, racialized persons/BIPOC, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, LGBTQ2S+, and people with disabilities.
The ROM Governors is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. Upon request, suitable accommodations are available under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act (AODA) to applicants invited to an interview.