Posted On: 2021-05-31
Closing On: 2021-06-15
Location: Markham, Ontario
Employment Type: Full-Time
POSITION: Director of Major Gifts (Full-Time)
TRACKING CODE: 5539
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Development
Markham Stouffville Hospital Foundation (MSHF) enables the growth of Markham Stouffville Hospital (MSH) by raising funds and awareness for its priorities and ongoing needs. We inspire to earn the generous support of every member of our community. Markham and Stouffville are the fastest growing regions in Canada and recently declared among the nation’s most diverse communities.
Markham Stouffville Hospital (MSH) is one of Ontario’s leading community hospitals. Across our two sites (Markham and Uxbridge) and Reactivation Care Centre (RCC), we provide high quality, patient-centred care to more than 435,000 patients each year. We offer diagnostic and emergency services and deliver clinical programs in acute care medicine and surgery, addictions and mental health, and childbirth and children’s services. We are also proud to be part of the Eastern York Region North Durham Ontario Health Team (OHT).
WHAT WE NEED:
The Director of Major Gifts is an experienced, results-oriented strategist, “boots-on-the ground” fundraiser who is a natural builder of strong relationships. Reporting to the Vice President, Development and working in collaboration with development teams, the Director of Major Gifts will play a critical role in developing strategies to continue to drive fundraising success. With the ability to maintain laser focus on major gift fundraising, the Director has demonstrated success with inspiring donor support and closing philanthropic gifts at the six figure level and higher. Fostering a philanthropic culture throughout the organization is integral to this role.
The Director is an authentic and passionate coach and mentor to development staff and supports senior leadership and volunteers, ensuring activity milestones and ambitious revenue goals are met and surpassed.
- 2 Senior Development Officers
- CEO & VPs
- Revenue Generation teams – annual & community giving and events
- Manager Research and Prospect Development
- Marketing & Donor Relations, Development Writer
- MSH Physicians & Staff
- Campaign/Committee Volunteers
- Donors and donor prospects
- Community and business groups in the City of Markham, Town of Stouffville and surrounding catchment areas
WHAT YOU WILL ACHIEVE WITH US:
Revenue Generation (Donor & Pipeline Development)
- Build and manage a personal portfolio of donors and prospects at the $50K+ level, with initial focus on making discovery/cold calls and converting calls into face-to-face meetings.
- Drive revenue and grow capacity in major gifts by cultivating, soliciting and stewarding individual and corporate donors.
- Actively participate in research and prospect identification (from internal and external sources, and actively participate in regular Prospect Management meetings.
- Contribute to the development and execution of sector strategies and expand engagement of emerging ethno-cultural groups and key donor segments to inspire and broaden base of support.
- Identify and support strategic opportunities for integrated fundraising with legacy giving donors and event sponsors.
- Assist with the identification and recruitment of senior level fundraising volunteers for fundraising committees/Cabinet.
- Ensure a high-level of data quality and integrity in Raisers Edge through timely and accurate action entry, record maintenance and prospect tracking.
- Provide direct support to assigned volunteers in their efforts to conduct fundraising calls and activities on behalf of the Foundation, ensuring they are prepared with research, briefing notes, and other relevant information.
- Work with Vice President and development team, in collaboration with physicians and clinical staff, to convert grateful patient referrals to gifts.
- Work at the strategic level with Vice President and CEO to execute on campaign strategies and support Cabinet/senior volunteers with donor engagement activities.
- Represent the Foundation positively and act as an ambassador throughout the community.
- Oversee annual goal setting and performance management for direct reports.
- Lead and mentor direct reports with developing portfolio strategies and monitoring productivity and outcomes.
- Conduct annual performance reviews, ensuring team is achieving objectives in alignment with leadership & legacy program revenue and stewardship goals.
- Collaborate across other revenue channels to ensure coordination and success of overall Foundation goals.
- Undertake specific responsibilities or provide support on special projects from time to time, as required by VP, Development.
- Model behaviour that encourages a mutually supportive team environment.
WHAT YOU BRING TO MSHF:
- Minimum of 5 years experience in major gift fundraising and demonstrated experience in all aspects of the donor development cycle including a proven track record of negotiating and closing gifts at $50k+.
- Completion of a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field and/or a combination of comparable skills and experience. CFRE is a definite asset.
- Evidence of strong management & leadership skills that foster teamwork and collaboration including proven experience managing and coaching direct reports.
- Experience leading and inspiring teams to meet/exceed revenue targets.
- Experience managing and inspiring fundraising volunteers.
- A strategic thinker and problem solver, with strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written) marked with the ability to inspire and influence at all levels with confidence.
- Professional maturity and proven ability to exercise diplomacy and exercise good judgement.
- Maintains up to date knowledge of major gift and legacy fundraising, including effective solicitation techniques, giving incentives and relevant tax issues.
MSH Foundation offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience plus comprehensive benefits package.
Interested applicants should submit their cover letter and resume by June 15, 2021 at https://jobs-ca.silkroad.com/MarkhamStouffville/mshcareerssilkroadcom/jobs/7511
Markham Stouffville Hospital takes pride in serving some of Canada’s most diverse communities. We are committed to fostering an environment of equity and inclusivity where every person can work and receive care safely, openly and honestly. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, nation of origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, marital or family status, belief system, or other factors related to one’s personal identity and/or values. Furthermore, Markham Stouffville Hospital is committed to meeting the needs of all individuals in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Should you require accommodations during the recruitment and selection process, please contact Human Resources.