Posted On: 2021-05-31
Closing On: 2021-06-11
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Knox College is the largest Presbyterian seminary in Canada, and a founding member of a consortium of seven theological schools at the University of Toronto. The college has a growing student enrolment, and ambitious plans for growth, communication, and fundraising in the years ahead. The Director of Advancement and Alumni Relations will play a key role as part of a senior leadership team to advance the mission and institutional flourishing of Knox College.
Director of Advancement and Alumni Relations
Full-Time, three-year renewable
3-month Preliminary Review / 6-month Probation Review / Annual Performance Review
$89,033 - $97,353 based on experience, plus benefits
Reporting to the Principal, the Director of Advancement and Alumni Relations is responsible for all fundraising, alumni relations, and communications. As a senior leader in the College, they set the direction for external relations. They should be a strategic, big picture thinker with an empowering leadership style. Focused on building relationships, they are energized by connecting people to the mission of Knox College.
The Director will have an understanding of the church constituencies of Knox College and its vision and mission, they are a confident public speaker, open to speaking in various settings.
The Director will serve as a lead team member in the Advancement and Alumni Relations Office. Other members of the department:
- Constituent Relations and Database Management Associate
- Communications Officer (currently a contract role)
A.Overview of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Fundraising (50%)
- Lead all fundraising efforts, including capital campaigns, major, middle, and direct mail programs
- Set and maintain the advancement budget
- Develop a legacy giving program
- Grow the major donor program while directly managing a roster of major donors
- Alumni Relations (20%)
- Strengthen a network of alumni across Canada and beyond.
- Develop relationships with graduating students to maintain relationship with the College
- Partner with Registrar and Recruitment to support church relations
- Liaise with alumni association (KEGA) and former resident association (KnoxFRA)
- Congregational and Denominational Relations (15%)
- Connect with denomination and congregation leaders
- Understand and connect with Presbyterian donor culture
- Share Knox College vision in supporting congregations
- Communications and Marketing (15%)
- Oversee of all materials promoting Knox College, including our magazine Vocations.
- Oversee creation and implementation of marketing plan
- Choice of Action: This is a leadership role and requires significant decision-making ability.
- Contacts: Regular contact with donors, alumni, church administrators, Knox College Principal’s Office, Finance office, and staff members. Some contact with faculty and students.
- Supervision Received: Reports to the Principal and is a member of the Administrative Team.
- Supervision Exercised: Leadership of Advancement Department, including Constituency Relations and Communication staff.
- Working Conditions and Physical Demands: The director works from the Advancement office in the College and there is opportunity to work from home some of the time. The expectation is that this person will be meeting regularly with donors out of the office.
- Daily Hours of Work: This is a full-time opportunity. Evening and weekend work expected, along with travel.
- Formal education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience
- Active member of a fundraising association and professional certification in fundraising (CFRE or equivalent) preferred
- Experience: Significant experience in a major gift role.
- Proven track record of success in cultivation and solicitation.
- Experience leading and developing an advancement team, including volunteers.
- Experience working with a Board of Governors and its committees
- Skills: Capacity for strategic thinking, analysis, planning, and implementation. A natural relationship builder and networker, able to mobilize alumni and supporters around key college objectives. An intelligent and compassionate listener and good interpersonal communicator. A contemporary practitioner who is cognizant of and comfortable with the technologies available to them, including social media.
Email your Resume and a Letter of Introduction to email@example.com by June 11, 2021, the subject line to read: Director of Advancement and Alumni Relations.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Knox College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.