Michael Garron Hospital provides care from birth to end-of-life, serving 400,000 people in East Toronto. We deliver first-rate care on a first-name basis—90 per cent of the healthcare people need, at a level of excellence rivaling anywhere else in the city. We are also developing tomorrow’s healthcare leaders, with the largest community and family medicine teaching program affiliated with the University of Toronto.
Michael Garron Hospital’s catchment area is unique in Toronto and one of the most diverse in Canada. Forty percent of the people we care for are new Canadians. One quarter of our catchment is low income and we are home to the highest proportion of refugees in the city of Toronto. More seniors live alone here than anywhere else in the city. Poverty and isolation—two of the most critical social determinants of health— disproportionately affect people in our neighbourhoods.
In 2018, Michael Garron Hospital Foundation (MGHF) entered the public phase of the Heart of the East Campaign, our $100-million fundraising effort in support of the hospital’s historic $560-million redevelopment. The Heart of the East will transform our campus, including construction of the new, eight-storey Ken and Marilyn Thomson Patient Care Centre, and the dramatic redevelopment of our existing facility.
To learn more, visit mghf.ca.
Since changing our name in 2015 to reflect a transformational gift from Berna and Myron Garron, we have invested in developing our brand equity. We have realized exceptional brand growth over the past few years, and recently this has been strengthened through our Hospital’s leadership during the COVID-19 pandemic. Coupled with the transformational change we are realizing through our historic redevelopment, and the anticipated success of our Heart of the East Campaign, this is a particularly exciting time to join MGHF.
We are looking for an experienced and dynamic Director, Marketing and Communications who can lead us in further growing and leveraging our brand equity, and who is passionate about building a healthier, stronger east end.
Director, Marketing and Communications
An experienced and confident senior level writer, the Director, Marketing and Communications is responsible for developing and implementing an integrated marketing and communications plan to advance MGHF’s brand identity, leverage key activation opportunities, and increase the visibility of the organization across key stakeholder audiences.
Reporting to the President, the Director plays a critical role on our executive team, will work collaboratively with Foundation colleagues to support fundraising objectives, and acts as the Foundation’s primary partner to our Hospital’s communications team. The position also manages the Marketing and Communications Committee, comprising of senior sector volunteers, including several Board members.
We are looking for a leader who believes strongly in collaboration and teamwork and who takes a fundraising first approach. Highly skilled at stakeholder management, the incumbent will be well regarded by peers across the foundation and hospital due to their collaborative approach. Superior communication skills, both written and verbal will be key to their success. Our candidate will have worked with external vendors and will manage budgets and timelines efficiently and effectively.
A believer in the power of data and analytics, our successful candidate will use data to guide decision making, balancing calculated risks with creativity and innovation.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Strategy and planning
- Leads the development, alignment and implementation of effective marketing and communications strategies and plans
- Serves as the Foundation’s key advisor on communications, including media relations, public relations, crisis management, as well as new marketing and communications trends in the charitable sector
- Collaborates with foundation leadership to triage communication priorities
- Monitors trends in the non-profit industry to identify new opportunities
- Prepares compelling written proposals and impact reports at the leadership level ($1 million and over)
- Oversees the production of all marketing and communications materials, including but not limited to proposals, donor impact reports, cases for support, e-newsletters, event collateral, website, e-communications and speaking notes
- Works cross-functionally with colleagues (Major Gifts, Planned Giving, Annual Programs, Events, and Stewardship) to provide strategic advice and integrate communications strategies to reach fundraising goals
- Produces the Foundation and Hospital’s joint Annual Report
- Liaises with hospital physicians and senior management to gather compelling stories of patient experiences, showcasing the excellence and innovation of the hospital’s services, in order to create proposals, impact reports, and marketing materials
- Leads the design and production of key collateral, including the Foundation’s cases for support, brochures, signage, video and photography
- Leads the planning and implementation of integrated public facing strategies including branding, social media, and awareness campaigns to enhance our visibility across all channels
- Provides strategic oversight and advice to ensure communications are aligned with strategic direction and priorities
- Leverages a portfolio of traditional media, digital media and community engagement opportunities to raise awareness, nurture existing donors and acquire new supporters
- Works with agencies to oversee the design and production public campaigns and negotiate ad buys
- Manages website and social media strategy and develop content to support priorities, activities and programs in collaboration with all organizational teams
- Leads a high performing team of three (two writers, one digital and design specialist) that provides communication services including donor impact reporting, proposal development, social media, graphic design, story development, newsletter, and online content
- Provides leadership to marketing and communications staff with an emphasis on mentoring, coaching, and promoting collaboration with fundraising teams
- Creates clear performance metrics for each marketing and communications team member
- Works closely with the hospital’s communication’s team to maintain the exceptional relationship that exists, and ensures that mutual interests are considered and promoted
Requisite skills and attributes
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to build trusting and effective relationships internally and externally
- Results oriented with an entrepreneurial mindset
- Creative, with positive energy and solution oriented
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, inclusive of effective monitoring, analysis, and delivery of measurable results
- Able to manage a wide variety of accountabilities while delivering projects on time and on budget
- Ability to work in a high pressure, deadline driven environment where juggling multiple projects, deadlines, and last-minute changes
- Highly adaptable and flexible, able to prioritize and work comfortably in a fast-paced, changing environment, as part of a small-but-nimble team
- Familiarity with the East Toronto community and/or Michael Garron Hospital an asset
- Extensive experience in developing and executing public facing strategies and plans including branding, social media and product launches
- Minimum of ten years progressive leadership experience in marketing, brand activation and fundraising
- Experience in building high performing and empowered teams
- Previous experience working in a fundraising environment
- Nice to have
- InDesign and Drupal experience
- Experience working with senior volunteers
- Experience working in hospital environment and/or health-related charity
We offer an industry leading pension plan (HOOPP), a comprehensive group health and dental benefits package, fitness classes and gym membership, an employee discount program, and tuition assistance. Our target salary range is $100,000 - $115,000 annually with an additional performance-based bonus of up to 6%.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume, cover letter, and two writing samples by July 30, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org Please note that submissions will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and we will be interviewing as we receive resumes. We thank all applicants for their interest; we will contact only those applicants selected for consideration.