Internal / External Vacancy Notice
Administrative/Finance Assistant CANTO/PSP/VN/23-003
Location: PSP Toronto
Title: Administrative/Finance Assistant
Application deadline: 20 June 2023
Type of contract: UNHCR – Fixed Term contract
Category/Grade: General Service, G4
Duration: 01 July 2023- 01 July 2024 (with possibility of extension)
Expected start date: July 2023
Vacancy Number: CANTO/PSP/VN/23-003
Workday Reference: JR2320389
1. General Background
The United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) is the world’s leading not-for-profit organization in helping and protecting the millions of people forced to flee their homes because of violence, conflict and persecution. We deliver life-saving assistance, including shelter, food and water while also safeguarding fundamental human rights, safety and dignity.
Our Canadian office is part of a global network that works in 137 countries, protecting over 80 million people. We were founded in 1950 as part of the United Nations effort to help people displaced by World War II. Since then, we have been on the ground helping over 89.3 million people forced to leave their homes and have even received two Nobel Prizes for our work.
We are passionate about the people we help—and the amazing team of people who work for us. We thrive on excellence, integrity and respect for diversity. Our culture is dynamic, results-oriented and focused on change, ready to tackle the latest global humanitarian crisis. You will be part of a newly growing team that—due to a significant revitalization process—is set for transformational growth. We need someone who is not only ready to jump in at the start of this journey, but has the skills, energy and creativity to help shape what comes next.
2. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The Private Sector Partnership operations and revenue in Canada has been rapidly growing since the start of its operations. In line with the higher revenue goals of Canada office, the PSP team has also been growing to manage the operations that lead to this growth.
Working with the office operations team, the Administrative Assistant will support mainly in the areas of Administration and Finance with specific areas of responsibility including:
– Arrange appointments/meetings both internal and external, some involving high ranking officials.
– Receive visitors, place and screen telephone calls, respond to routine requests for information and take notes at meetings as and when required.
– Maintain hard and electronic office files and records; classify and code material relating to a variety of topics;
– Receive, review, sort and distribute all incoming and outgoing correspondence, office pouch and material, highlight priority items and attach necessary background information. Maintain a follow up system.
– May be required to maintain/update confidential files.
– Draft routine correspondence, memoranda and reports. Format more complex documents by using the appropriate technology.
– Facilitate implementation of Personnel administrative formalities and processing of documents in relation to official travels, leaves and movements of staff. Support staff members with processing personnel-related documentation.
– Maintain office inventory and stocks of office supplies. Monitor the asset management track to ensure all admin procurements and disposal of UNHCR property are done and recorded accurately.
– Assist the supervisor to monitor and record expenditure/disbursement of funds.
– Following instructions from the supervisor make logistic and administrative arrangements for seminars, workshops, and briefings that may be required by the Office/Division.
– May regulate and monitor routine provision of services and/or shifts from providers, as and when applicable;
– Monitor office/compound facilities and equipment and in consultation with the supervisor take appropriate action to ensure proper functioning at all time.
– Perform other related duties as required.
The Administrative Assistant duties will also include the following:
• Assists in Office contract management
• Provide support with IT related tasks
• Assist in other administrative tasks
• Receive and prepares invoices for processing
• Retrieve monthly electronic invoices
• Assist in communication with suppliers and notifying payment status
• Assist in monitoring the revenue in multiple channels
• Assist in other financial tasks
• Assist in monitoring HR communication
• Assist in Scheduling HR meetings
• Assist in contract administration in the Workday
• Assist in placing vacancies in the Workday and other external websites
• Assist in other HR tasks
3. Qualifications and Experience
– High school Diploma and Bachelor degree an asset
– Certificate / Degree in Administration / Finance/ Accounting/Human Resources an asset
– 1 year relevant experience with High School Diploma; or Bachelor or equivalent or higher
2 Work Experience
– two years of experience in Administration and Finance an asset for ideal candidate
– Time management and Organizing Skills
– Research Skills
– Attention to details
– Communication Skills and teamwork
– Computer skills (MS Office, knowledge of database)
– Maintains a positive attitude.
– Ability to work with confidential information with discretion.
3 Key Competencies
– Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
– Excellent organizational, multi-tasking and time management skills.
– Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including MS word, Excel and PowerPoint.
– Ability to adhere to tight deadlines and manage projects simultaneously.
– Ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality required.
– Ability to work under pressure.
Teamwork & Collaboration
Commitment to Continuous Learning
Client & Result Orientation
Planning and Organizing
Must be eligible to work in Canada
5. Additional information:
For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, please visit the portal of the International Civil Service Commission at: http://icsc.un.org
To apply for this position, please visit UNHCR career webpage via Workday – JR2320389
For any HR related inquiries, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the vacancy notice number and related title in the subject line.
Application should be received through Workday to be reviewed.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.
WE REGRET WE DO NOT ACCEPT ANY PHONE CALLS
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination, and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce.
Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity. UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing or training.
We welcome applications from candidates with a refugee or stateless background.