Advancement Services and Database Manager
Permanent – Full Time
Founded in 1867, The Bishop Strachan School is Canada’s oldest independent day and boarding school for girls. BSS is renowned for its expertise in the learning needs of girls, offering an enriched, inquiry-based curriculum. We develop lifelong learners and courageous leaders by nurturing attributes like curiosity, confidence, and creativity. We foster a caring environment that strives for diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in our classrooms and beyond. Find out more about BSS by going here.
Why Work at BSS?
We value the willingness to take risks in order to learn and grow – and not just for our students. At BSS, you have the opportunity to immerse yourself in an unparalleled setting, with access to innovative tools, support and resources, so you can pursue ongoing professional learning, whatever your role. BSS offers a competitive total compensation package that includes:
- Extensive health and dental benefits package
- Our administration participate in our robust pension plan with up to 8% match
- Lunches provided with a taxable benefit
- Discounted student tuition for eligible staff
- Use of on-site fitness center
- And a chance to be part of a great community!
If you’re looking to challenge yourself and be a leader in girls’ education, we invite you to explore a career with BSS.
Summary of Position
The Advancement Services and Database Manager works collaboratively with colleagues across BSS to create and sustain data systems, services, and practices that will optimize the Advancement department’s fundraising, donor engagement and stewardship initiatives. In addition, the Manager oversees the work of the Advancement Services Coordinator and the Prospect Researcher. The Manager assists and contributes to the development and delivery of the whole-school data plan and is specifically responsible for measuring the results, accuracy, cleanliness, efficiency and integrity of the Advancement database (RE NXT). They will use data to support the school’s strategic direction and employ analytics, prospect identification, qualification and research to assess and help develop a robust donor pipeline that serves the Annual Fund, Planned Giving and Major Gift programs through multi-year campaign initiatives.
- Continually assess the landscape of current and future BSS donors, helping the Advancement team optimize overall support through strategic fundraising and engagement tactics; and collaborates across departments to achieve school-wide data goals
- Ensures integrity and accuracy of Advancement database at all times
- Leads and coordinates the analysis of Advancement data as part of school benchmarking, strategic plan metrics, and prospect management; produces regular reports for Director, Development and shares findings with Director, School Data and Analytics and wider community, as appropriate
- Creates and manages all table set-ups and coding (campaigns, funds and appeals) to ensure consistency and accuracy
- Prepares donor listings and giving metrics for inclusion in the annual Impact Report and other Advancement publications, as required
- Prepares accurate and timely financial reports
- Guides and oversees the Advancement Services Coordinator
- Manages the Prospect Researcher and the pipeline of major donors
- Collaborates with the Director, School Data and Analytics on:
- researching and implementing important new tools that strategically and operationally support Advancement goals on behalf of the school
- improving data collection practices (data integrity levels), troubleshooting database issues, improving points of integration, and general systems maintenance
- Embeds diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging values into all activities
Skills, Experience and Attributes
- Successful completion of post-secondary education
- Experience managing database systems, including expertise in Raiser’s Edge and Online Express (RENXT)
- Experience in a research-related field, preferably in a fundraising or philanthropic environment
- Strong analytical skills and an understanding of accounting principles
- Excellent skills in waterfall project management, including methodology research and planning
- Strong technical expertise including database integration experience and the Microsoft Office Suite of products and Google suite
- Experience with querying and reporting as well as data entry and gift acknowledgement
- Knowledge of and experience working with CRA and IRS receipting guidelines
- Understanding of fundraising practices and procedures
- Ability to participate in evening and weekend events on an occasional basis
- Commitment to and passion for furthering the work of the school and girls’ education
- A growth mindset of continuous improvement and learning
- Culturally competent with a positive attitude toward cultural uniqueness and readiness to accept and respect others
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment
Demonstrated ability and commitment to the Core and Leadership Competencies at BSS:
BSS Values Diversity:
BSS is committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse and respectful environment. We believe that diversity in our school fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment. We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to email@example.com indicating Advancement Services and Database Manager in the subject line. For more information about BSS, please visit our website at www.bss.on.ca
We are committed to providing an accessible experience and an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, beginning with the recruitment process. If you have restrictions that need to be accommodated to fully participate in any phase of the recruitment process, please contact the HR Admin at 416-483-4325, ext. 1691 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org . All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
Please note, we have a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine policy in place for employees, unless official documentation of a human rights exemption is provided and can be accommodated.
We thank all candidates for their applications; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.