The Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering is a world-renowned community of researchers and students dedicated to solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges through collaborative and multidisciplinary research and experiential education. Through rigorous technical training, and unparalleled extracurricular and professional experience opportunities, we prepare the next generation of engineering leaders and change-makers to unlock the future’s potential.
The Office of Advancement engages alumni and private-sector stakeholders to sustain and enhance the Faculty’s academic mission, leadership and worldwide impact. As part of Defy Gravity: The Campaign for the University of Toronto, we seek to harness the talent, generosity, and compassion of our global community to strengthen the University’s commitment to inclusive excellence and accelerate work on the most complex issues facing our world today.
Reporting to the Senior Advancement Communication Officer, the Advancement Writer will support the Advancement Office with writing needs to support the strategic communication goals of the team. The position is responsible for researching, writing, and producing highly personalized communications pieces, including proposals of seven figures or more. The incumbent also will produce collateral, such as brochures, one-sheets, and solicitation letters and emails, and will write editorial content for university publications, sharing philanthropic stories and profiles of our alumni, donors, and friends, as well as faculty and students. The successful candidate will be a storyteller at heart, with a talent for writing for different audiences and distilling complex information into engaging narratives.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Prepare solicitation materials, such as appeal letters and emails, proposal templates, and case statements for targeted fundraising initiatives.
- Collaborate with advancement colleagues, departments, and units to identify and create alumni and advancement news and feature stories to promote the benefits and impact of giving to the Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering.
- Plan, write, edit, and produce high-end and highly individualized materials, including brochures, speeches for events, and other communications.
- With input from advancement team members, write impact reports, white papers, donor sheets, solicitation and stewardship letters, and other content to support philanthropic goals.
- In collaboration with the advancement team, create content for multi-channel audiences.
- Edit the writing of colleagues and freelance writers for style, grammar, content, and messaging in development materials.
- Work with subject matter experts to translate technical solutions into a clearly articulated, compelling, and compliant proposal documents.
- Research, collect data, interview subjects (university administrators, gift and engagement officers, deans, faculty members, alumni, donors and others) to inform projects; Work with the digital content creator to script videos and write copy for webpages.
- Bachelor’s degree in writing, English or equivalent experience or post-secondary education.
- Minimum four years experience in communications, public relations, content creation, creative writing or similar function.
- Experience working as part of an advancement, alumni, or fundraising team.
- Experience writing compelling and persuasive proposals.
- Experience writing for different communication channels.
- Demonstrated ability to translate complex concepts and market research into clear, compelling language for diverse audiences.
- Advanced interviewing, writing, editing and proofing skills.
- Basic graphic design and layout skills.
To be successful in this role you will be:
- Team player
Work location: Hybrid work arrangement is available.