Senior Development Officer
We are seeking a highly-skilled, incredibly organized, and experienced Senior Development Officer who is enthusiastic, thoughtful, thorough, and committed to excellence. The successful candidate will work closely with and report to the Senior Director, Advancement and work in collaboration with the Advancement Co-ordinator, Gift Administrator, and our volunteers. This role offers the right candidate a chance to join a supportive and collegial team with flexible hours and the opportunity to work in a remote/hybrid working environment.
In this role, you will be responsible for CCLA’s Annual Fund program, including managing our donor portfolio developing and implementing Annual Giving strategies and programs that identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward annual, leadership, and monthly gifts from prospective donors giving at gift levels of up to $5,000. The Senior Development Officer will also oversee all gift administration processes and procedures, and occasional CCLA events.
Founded in 1964, the CCLA is an independent, national charitable organization, working in the courts, before legislative bodies, in the classrooms, and in the streets, protecting the dignity and rights of people in Canada. We have a long history of defending Canadians, and we believe it is imperative to take a stand against injustice and oppression. We work to actively fight unjust laws, supporting the rights and freedoms of all people living in Canada. CCLA is a member of INCLO, a Federation of 15 independent, national human rights organizations across the world.
Who are you?
- You have a demonstrated track record in providing strategic direction and successful implementation of Annual Fund programs. You have exceptional writing skills for direct mail and donor-centric communications.
- You are a subject matter expert, who stays on top of the latest fundraising trends and innovative practices.
- You have superior knowledge of utilizing fundraising databases to optimize segmentation, coding, and general donor management.
- You enjoy autonomy and can work both independently and as part of a team.
- You are creative, considerate and collaborative, with a passion for driving results.
- You are known for thriving in a fast-paced environment with deadlines, and possess excellent organizational skills, with demonstrated ability to manage multiple portfolios in a timely and efficient manner.
- You are solution-oriented, proactive and demonstrate initiative.
- You have excellent analytical skills and the ability to interpret complex information and to communicate it to a variety of audiences.
- You have experience working on production with multiple external freelancers, vendors and agencies.
What you will do:
- Contribute to the overall Advancement goal by employing sound revenue generation strategies for Annual Giving, Monthly and Leadership giving.
- Build relationships and retain donors through employing excellence in issues management, support, and stewardship, leading to renewed, and increased giving.
- Provide strategic direction in the development and implementation of targeted direct response marketing campaigns designed to achieve growth objectives while maintaining effective cost ratios. Manage the execution of all portfolio marketing appeals, including annual giving plans, solicitation calendars, list management and queries, critical paths, creative briefs, copy briefs, quotations, instructions to fulfillment houses/letter shops and setting up online donation pages in AKA raisin. Create and monitor optimized donor segmentation and complex test plans.
- Ensure that a strong stewardship program for Annual Fund donors (including Leadership and Monthly) is in place.
- Provide ongoing reports and statistical and financial information.
- Promote monthly giving, attracting and retaining new donors, and tracking and reporting program results.
- Ensure regular monthly donor management, investigating and responding to issues, requests to cancel etc.
- Maintain monthly donor trackers, and database notes on donor communication.
- Manage and oversee all gift processing administration for CCLA with the support of Advancement Coordinator and Gift Administrator, working with AKA raisin and Little Green Light database.
- Work with Advancement Coordinator and Gift Administrator to ensure proper processes, protocols, and best practices are employed in all gift coding, receipting and general gift administration.
- Manage annual receipting of monthly donors.
- Liaise with Program Directors and develop list of topics and prepare first draft of monthly newsletter.
- Monitor and report newsletter response and metrics.
Reporting and Donor/Data Analysis
- Regularly monitor and interpret data, revenue targets, metrics, and department goals for Board quarterly reports and general monitoring of revenue goals.
- Maintain donor database and ensure that all campaign metrics are tracked and reported on accurately.
- Manage occasional CCLA events with support of Advancement Coordinator when required.
- Where required, support Senior Director on overall departmental goals including Major Gift campaigns.
- Provide guidance and supervision to Advancement Co-ordinator, Gift Administrator, and volunteers.
- Support reconciliation activities with Finance Department, analyze and resolve variances.
- Manage fundraising phoneline and address all donor requests in a prompt and timely manner.
- Minimum of 5 years progressive experience managing annual fundraising program elements. Fundraising experience in the human rights sector an asset.
- A university education or equivalent combination of education and fundraising experience, specifically in a non-profit setting.
- Expertise in direct mail and digital marketing strategies.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to meet competing deadlines in an organized manner are essential.
- Strong understanding of donor database management and gift processing.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Constant Contact and Canva.
- Experience with Little Green Light Database and AKA raisin would be an asset.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Detail-oriented, with strong organizational, analytical, and planning skills.
- A demonstrated ability to exercise discretion and good judgment, take initiative and respect the confidentiality of sensitive information and materials.
- Management experience required.
- Team player who interacts with staff and external stakeholders in a respectful and professional manner.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully managing a large portfolio in a fast-paced environment.
- A strong commitment to the mission of CCLA.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion Statement
CCLA is an equal opportunity employer seeking to live its values internally in all we do. Fighting for equality and dignity is at the forefront of our work, externally. Internally, we are committed to taking proactive steps to provide and create opportunities for historically marginalized groups. We seek applicants who will strengthen our commitment to diversity, equality, and inclusion. We strongly encourage qualified candidates from Indigenous, Black and other racialized persons, 2SLGBTQI+ people, individuals with disabilities, and other members of marginalized communities to consider working with and for the CCLA.
We recognize that structural barriers shape experiences and job qualifications, and therefore we seek to use employment equity to differentiate between candidates who meet the required qualifications. We encourage people to apply even if they feel that the position would be a stretch.
How to Apply:
Please address your application to Lesley Bell, Human Resources, and send a cover letter, detailed resume and any references, in confidence to email@example.com. Applications are considered as they are received.
Please refer to “Senior Development Officer” in the subject line.
The Interview Process
The interview process will occur remotely. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process.
CCLA’s office is located in midtown Toronto. This position offers the right candidate lots of flexibility for remote/hybrid work.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.