Assistant Director, Alumnae Engagement
Assistant Director, Alumnae Engagement
The Bishop Strachan School is looking for a full-time, permanent Assistant Director, Alumnae Engagement to engage and build relationships with our BSS Alumnae. We are looking for someone who can re-imagine Alumnae Engagement at the school with new programs, global community involvement and work directly with our leaders, staff, faculty and volunteers to foster our sense of community.
BSS inspires girls to be courageous leaders and teaches girls how to think – not what to think. The Signature of a BSS Girl is a set of personal attributes that are encouraged, nurtured and taught at our school and they are as follows; a growth mindset, ethical citizenship, curiosity, self-awareness, grit, voice and leadership. We believe working towards these attributes helps each student realize their full potential. Everything that happens at the school, from academics to co-curricular activities, is designed to help students develop these important attributes.
As a member of our Advancement Team, we offer a competitive compensation package, a variety of benefits and supports, and a thought-provoking and inspirational environment
If you’re looking to challenge yourself and be a leader in girls’ education, we invite you to explore a career with BSS.
Summary of Position
Fostering a sense of community, where alumnae build and maintain a deep relationship with the BSS is central to the school’s continued success. The Assistant Director, Alumnae Engagement will work with leaders, staff, faculty, and volunteers to reimagine Alumnae relations at BSS, create new programs and build a global community of involvement and support that enriches the BSS experience. The school has thousands of diverse alumnae across Canada and globally; graduates who are shaping the world we live in. The new Assistant Director will harness their pride in the school and activate them in support of the school’s vision, mission, and values.
- Design and advance a refreshed alumnae program to engage and activate BSS alumni globally in support of the school, our students and new graduates.
- Support and encourage the development and activities of a highly energetic, active and outcomes-oriented Alumnae Association that taps into the deep sense of belonging of past BSS students and parents.
- Actively recruit, motivate and support volunteers who participate in school life, including through mentorship and guidance of students and new graduates.
- In collaboration with the Director of Development, and in partnership with the Director of Parent and Alumnae Engagement, introduces new programs to create a culture of volunteerism and philanthropy, providing Alumnae with clear opportunities to contribute to the future of the school and its students.
- Ensures an inclusive and diverse BSSAA executive and Alumnae network, promoting the values of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging to ensure that all voices are heard and that all members of our diverse global community know that BSS is their school, today and forever.
- Directs a number of critical operations in support of the Alumnae community and the BSSAA, including: communications, staff/faculty engagement, BSS Connect communications platform, data collection and management, events and gatherings – in Toronto, across Canada and, where appropriate, globally.
- Works some evenings and weekends, and travels occasionally for mentorship /alumnae events
- In collaboration with the Communications team develops and implements a communications plan to engage the wider BSS community (Old Girls, parents, teachers, senior students) in matters of significance to the school’s alumnae
- Establishes and tracks key metrics for evaluating program success and reports back on these on a regular basis
- Ensures accuracy of alumnae records in Raiser’s Edge, tracking event attendance and volunteer interest in the program
Skills, Experience and Attributes
- Bachelor’s degree, and/or experience in relationship management, alumnae programming and/or marketing & communications/social media
- Proven ability to recruit and motivate volunteers
- Superior project management, budget management, organization and planning skills as well as ability to manage multiple projects with an attention to detail
- Experience developing and implementing special events is an asset
- Proficiency in Google Suite and Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge an asset.
- Able to work and communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with a broad range of internal and external constituents including faculty, staff, students, alumnae, parents, and friends of the School, and work independently, solve problems, handle confidential information, and navigate sensitive situations
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment
Why Work at BSS?
We value the willingness to take risks in order to learn and grow – and not just for our students. At BSS, you have the opportunity to immerse yourself in an unparalleled setting, with access to innovative tools, support and resources, so you can pursue ongoing professional learning, whatever your role. BSS offers a competitive total compensation package that includes:
- Extensive health and dental benefits package
- Our administration participate in our robust pension plan with up to 8% match
- Lunches provided with a taxable benefit
- Discounted tuition for eligible staff
- Use of on-site fitness center
- And a chance to be part of a great community!
BSS Values Diversity:
BSS is committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse and respectful environment. We believe that diversity in our school fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment. We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating Assistant Director, Alumnae Engagement in the subject line. For more information about BSS, please visit our website at www.bss.on.ca
We are committed to providing an accessible experience and an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, beginning with the recruitment process. If you have restrictions that need to be accommodated to fully participate in any phase of the recruitment process, please contact the Executive Assistant, Human Resources and Finance at 416-483-4325, ext. 4207 or by email at email@example.com. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
Please note, we have a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine policy in place for employees, unless official documentation of a human rights exemption is provided and can be accommodated.
We thank all candidates for their applications; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.