Assistant Director, Major and Legacy Giving
Founded in 1867, The Bishop Strachan School is Canada’s oldest independent day and boarding school for girls. BSS is renowned for its expertise in the learning needs of girls, offering an enriched, inquiry-based curriculum. We develop lifelong learners and courageous leaders by nurturing attributes like curiosity, confidence, and creativity. We foster a caring environment that strives for diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in our classrooms and beyond. Find out more about BSS by going here.
We offer the opportunity to join an exceptional community of professionals and contribute meaningfully to the education of tomorrow’s transformational leaders. As an employer, we focus on building and developing our employees to be the very best at what they do. We offer competitive compensation, a variety of benefits and supports, and a thought-provoking and inspirational environment.
If you’re looking to challenge yourself and be a leader in girls’ education, we invite you to explore a career with BSS.
Summary of Position
Reporting to the Director of Development, the role of the Assistant Director, Major and Legacy Giving (AD) is to secure philanthropic support by engaging the parent and alumnae community in the life of BSS. The AD works to actively grow the major gift pipeline, meet fundraising targets through solicitation of gifts, and bring visibility to the school’s planned giving program. Working together with a team of frontline fundraisers, advancement services, and colleagues across BSS, the AD contributes to building a strong culture of philanthropy, and a sense of shared goals, throughout the BSS community.
- In collaboration with the Director, Development, creates a strategic plan for major and legacy giving and communicates it with the Advancement team and other key stakeholders across the school
- Works closely with colleagues to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward prospective donors with the capacity to make a major gift ($25,000+)
- Actively engages with a portfolio of prospective supporters through school events, in-person meetings, phone visits, and written communications
- Implements agreed-upon metrics for major gift fundraising, using Raiser’s Edge to track activity and reports on these on a regular basis
- Develops a comprehensive plan for the long-term program growth, solicitation and stewardship of planned giving prospects and donors
- Plans, schedules and conducts solicitation meetings; provides briefing support for the Head of School, Executive Director, Advancement, Director, Development, and key volunteers
- Supports and collaborates with the Director, Parent and Alumnae Engagement in developing plans to welcome new families and introduce them to the culture of philanthropy
- Manages Planned Giving program, including marketing and communications, solicitations and recognition of Gaudeamus Society members
- Commits to some travel and to working some evenings and weekends
- Embeds diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging values into all activities
Skills, Experience and Attributes
- Bachelor’s degree and experience in major gifts and/or planned giving, preferably at an educational institution; fundraising designation a plus
- Direct experience and demonstrated success with soliciting leadership gifts
- Experience working productively and positively with alumnae and volunteers
- Strong judgment; ability to make meaningful connections and represent BSS with stakeholders
- Strong project management, organization and planning skills, with a demonstrated track record of program development and implementation and attentiveness to detail
- Proficiency with Raiser’s Edge and highly developed computer skills with proficiency in Google suites and Microsoft Office
- Ability to work independently, solve problems, handle confidential information, and navigate sensitive situations
- A growth mindset of continuous improvement and learning
- Culturally competent with a positive attitude toward cultural uniqueness and a readiness to accept and respect others
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment
Why Work at BSS?
We value the willingness to take risks in order to learn and grow – and not just for our students. At BSS, you have the opportunity to immerse yourself in an unparalleled setting, with access to innovative tools, support and resources, so you can pursue ongoing professional learning, whatever your role. BSS offers a competitive total compensation package that includes:
- Extensive health and dental benefits package
- Our administration participate in our robust pension plan with up to 8% match
- Lunches provided with a taxable benefit
- Discounted tuition for eligible staff
- Use of on-site fitness center
- And a chance to be part of a great community!
BSS Values Diversity:
BSS is committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse and respectful environment. We believe that diversity in our school fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment. We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to email@example.com indicating Assistant Director, Major and Legacy Giving in the subject line. For more information about BSS, please visit our website at www.bss.on.ca
We are committed to providing an accessible experience and an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, beginning with the recruitment process. If you have restrictions that need to be accommodated to fully participate in any phase of the recruitment process, please contact the HR Admin at 416-483-4325, ext. 1691 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org . All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
Please note, we have a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine policy in place for employees, unless official documentation of a human rights exemption is provided and can be accommodated.
We thank all candidates for their applications; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.