Assistant to the Director of Development
The National Ballet of Canada is one of the most exciting, innovative arts institutions in Canada, and is regularly ranked among the top ten ballet companies in the world. Established by founder Celia Franca in 1951, The National Ballet of Canada presents a full range of traditional full-length classics and has been an innovative commissioner of new contemporary work by some of the most important choreographers and designers in the world. The National Ballet is deeply committed to the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion across the organization, and through community education programs that bring dance to the broadest possible community.
The Assistant to the Director of Development will play an integral role in achieving the Development department’s ambitious goals during an exciting time as the National Ballet collaborates with world-renown artists. Reporting to the Director of Development, this role will provide high level administrative support, be proactive and extremely organized in day-to-day tasks. The ideal candidate holds a strong fundraising background, has impeccable writing and presentation skills and conducts enriching and engaging exchanges with donors.
General Responsibilities Include:
- In conjunction with the Associate Director, Major Gifts and the Individual Giving team, assist with prospecting and donor relations to ensure a plan for stewardship is executed throughout the year for the Director’s portfolio
- Managing acknowledgments for the Director of Development Major Gift donors including gifts confirmations and agreements, thank you letters, relevant Plan Steps tracked in Tessitura, sending out pledges and gift renewals, etc.
- Provide day-to-day administrative support to the Director including handling multiple donor correspondence, proofing communications materials, travel planning, and preparing materials for meetings, organizing files and other related tasks
- Update Tessitura with donor prospect moves and prepare follow ups to meetings as well as attach correspondence to appropriate files
- Review, draft and ensure timely responses to donor/patron correspondence including assisting with letter contents
- Calendar Management for the Director, including a review Director’s emails and voicemails to flag priority tasks requiring action on a daily basis and constantly reassesses the Director’s priorities
- Organize and attend Development Committee meetings, overseeing minutes for approval and distribution
- Act as a liaison for the Volunteer Committee, attend meetings, organize dress rehearsals and events, draft invitations and correspondence and liaise with Committee President and Secretary
- Other Duties as required
- University degree or equivalent, preferably with a background in fundraising
- At least three (3) years of administrative experience, ideally in fundraising
- Exceptional interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- High degree of confidentiality, exercise sound judgment and discretion with all matters
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize work, handling multiple projects at one time with a high degree of efficiency, thorough independence, attention to detail, poise and patience
- Ability to take initiative and demonstrate a flexible approach in responding to needs as they arise
- Excellent computer skills and a proficiency in working with a database (Tessitura strongly preferred)
- Experience with Excel, PowerPoint, Team Gantt, Slack, and SharePoint considered an asset
- Evenings and weekend work may be required during performance season and/or events
The National Ballet is currently in a hybrid environment with staff working both remotely and in the office.
Qualified candidates are to forward their resume, cover letter and salary expectations as a single PDF document to HR@national.ballet.ca with the subject heading: “Assistant to the Director of Development” by no later than September 30, 2022. Resumes will be reviewed as soon as they are received. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check. The National Ballet of Canada recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada. Although the National Ballet administrative teams are currently working a blend of remote / in person work, this position will require more onsite work due to the nature of the role. This position offers staff comp tickets for performances.
The National Ballet of Canada is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible, and equitable environment where employees feel valued and respected. We are committed to reflect the diversity of our community, our city and our country. We strive to ensure our recruitment and selection processes are bias-free. We welcome and encourage submissions from Indigenous, Black and People of Colour, the Deaf and disabled as well as individuals of all genders, cultures, ethnicities, sexual orientations, and abilities. We are committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). The Human Resources department will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.