Associate Director, Alumni Communications
Date Posted: 04/05/2023
Req ID: 30596
Faculty/Division: Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering
Department: Office of Advancement
Campus: St. George (Downtown Toronto)
Position Number: 00038910
The Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering is a world-renowned community of researchers and students dedicated to solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges through collaborative and multidisciplinary research and experiential education. Through rigorous technical training, and unparalleled extracurricular and professional experience opportunities, we prepare the next generation of engineering leaders and change-makers to unlock the future’s potential.
The Office of Advancement works to sustain and enhance the Faculty’s academic mission, leadership and worldwide impact by engaging alumni and private-sector stakeholders. As part of Defy Gravity: The Campaign for the University of Toronto, we seek to harness the talent, generosity, and compassion of our global community to strengthen the University’s commitment to inclusive excellence and accelerate work on the most complex issues facing our world today.
Under the direction of the Director, Advancement Communications, Marketing and Engagement, this role is responsible for all alumni communications for the Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering. Working with the Alumni Relations team, the incumbent will develop new engagement strategies and products to enhance and support the Faculty’s advancement efforts, create and execute integrated communication plans that align with strategic direction, and develop marketing and communication products of the highest quality. The role will act as both writer and editor-in-chief for web content, newsletters and other publications, and oversee alumni-related social media content, including the CONNECT online community. The successful candidate will be a storyteller at heart, with a proven track record of distilling complex information into engaging narratives, and passion for staying abreast of emerging communication tools and best practices.
Your responsibilities will include:
- In collaboration with the Director of Communications and Engagement, develop and implement integrated communication plans to support high-profile alumni and development initiatives, including events.
- Create and shape content and narratives that illustrate impact; determine best practices for gathering and sharing impact stories; help to cultivate storytelling culture across the Advancement Office.
- Lead colleagues to develop content that aligns channel styles, voices, and consistent content.
- Review and approve all outgoing communications on behalf of the Alumni Relations team.
- Prepare executive communications and speeches.
- Stay abreast of competitive trends and best practices in alumni and fundraising material and engagement and make recommendations to improve these areas.
- Collect, develop, and creatively share the many aspects of programming in the Faculty while managing relationships with appropriate program staff to contribute to an ongoing bank of stories about our community.
- Manage the Faculty-wide alumni communications calendar and ticketing system.
- Oversee content on all alumni-related digital properties; ensuring timely updates and engaging content.
- Work in collaboration with all staff to ensure consistency in branding and messaging as well as communication frequency and segmentation.
- Oversee the management and effective use of social media platforms, including the CONNECT online community.
- Bachelor’s degree in corporate communication, public relations, journalism, marketing or related field, or an equivalent and relevant combination of education and experience.
- Minimum five years of professional writing or public relations experience, preferably in an advancement office.
- Demonstrated experience in the development and implementation of digital campaigns and initiatives, with a proven track record of success.
- Experience writing engaging print and digital content to demonstrate the impact of investment in higher education and research.
- Proficient in creative software such as the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Demonstrated project management experience, including the ability to liaise with internal stakeholders, vendors, determine priorities, manage workflow and deliver quality product on time and on budget.
- Extensive experience as an editor, communicator, and storyteller with the ability to make complex ideas seem simple and clear.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion and the promotion of a respectful and collegial learning and work environment.
- Excellent knowledge of university advancement and fundraising principles, specifically relating to campaigns, proposals and case for support documents.
- Direct management experience.
To be successful in this role you will be:
- Team player
Work location: This role is currently eligible for a hybrid work arrangement, pursuant to University policies and guidelines, including but not limited to the University of Toronto’s Alternative Work Arrangements Guideline.
Closing Date: 04/17/2023, 11:59PM ET
Employee Group: USW
Appointment Type: Budget – Continuing
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone:
USW Pay Band 15 — $86,011 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $109,993. Pay scale and job class assignment is subject to determination pursuant to the Job Evaluation/Pay Equity Maintenance Protocol.
Job Category: Communication/Media/Public Relations
Lived Experience Statement
Candidates who are members of Indigenous, Black, racialized and 2SLGBTQ+ communities, persons with disabilities, and other equity deserving groups are encouraged to apply, and their lived experience shall be taken into consideration as applicable to the posted position.