Associate Director, Stewardship & Donor Engagement
Organization: Humber River Hospital Foundation
Title: Associate Director, Stewardship & Donor Engagement
Reports to: Vice President, Communications & Donor Engagement
Team: Coordinator, Donor Engagement
Location: Hybrid work model, currently minimum 3 days in office. When in office, on site at the Hospital: 1235 Wilson Avenue, Level 1, North York, Ontario.
Is this you?
You are a results-oriented stewardship professional who knows first-hand the power stewardship can have to advance donor engagement and loyalty over an extended period. You are very skilled at making donors feel valued, understood, and unique. You do not approach your role with a ‘one-size-fits-all’ mindset. You go the extra mile to create bespoke experiences for your organization’s donors that keep them loyal and engaged for years. With this comes a certain creativity and flare, you think outside the box and that’s been a unique advantage – your secret weapon.
You are an exceptional communicator, both written and verbal. Those who have worked on your team and with you would say you are passionate, cause-oriented, and caring. Not only caring toward your work but also toward your professional development and continuous improvement. You are often called on from peers to bounce ideas off and brainstorm. You are collaborative and inclusive, and you work effectively with your team because you truly believe more heads are better than one.
You have a comfort level being the ‘go-to’ person when it comes to Stewardship and Donor Engagement. You like being part of developing strategy and would be excited to be called upon by senior leadership to lend your expertise.
You would be excited to join a leading Hospital Foundation and help them elevate by lending your expertise and deep passion for Stewardship and Donor Engagement. Sound like you? Read on.
Lighting New Ways in Healthcare – Humber River Hospital stands apart. As North America’s most digital hospital, their state-of-the-art facility is enabling their physicians and staff to deliver healthcare in new and innovative ways and is a model of efficiency for hospitals around the world. Everything they do is to enhance not only healthcare outcomes but also the patient and family experience.
Humber River Hospital Foundation raises funds to invest in the programs, technologies and equipment that make their Hospital’s superior patient care a reality. Since the day they opened their new facility, they have proudly stayed ahead of a changing world, always innovating to continue lighting new ways in healthcare now and into the future. This spirit of innovation is powered by the Foundation’s donors and volunteers, who share their vision for a brighter future.
Please refer to the Foundation www.hrhfoundation.ca and the Humber River Hospital website www.hrh.ca for additional information.
As a key member of the Donor Engagement team, the Associate Director, Stewardship & Donor Engagement is responsible for the strategic development, implementation and evaluation of all aspects of the Foundation’s stewardship and donor recognition program. This includes major gift donor stewardship, naming proposals, stewardship reports, on-going donor communications and recognition initiatives. The role serves as a strategic partner with Development Team colleagues and provides direction and collaborates with the Communications and Events teams to support the implementation of donor relations and stewardship activities.
Reporting to the Vice President, Communications & Donor Engagement, the successful candidate will be a forward-thinking and experienced leader who will work as part of the Foundation team to support an ambitious fundraising agenda by providing overall strategic leadership and management for the donor relations and stewardship activities across all fundraising programs within Humber River Hospital Foundation. The Associate Director, Stewardship & Donor Engagement will develop and consistently deliver exceptional donor experiences that build trusted and loyal relationships, and which truly differentiate the Foundation from other institutions by creating a leading stewardship and donor relations program.
The culture of Humber River Hospital Foundation is one based on the values of donor-centred, visionary, and inspirational. It is a place where people have a strong understanding of the value they bring to the whole organization. This unique and fulfilling environment will be most attractive to a candidate with a close affinity for the Foundation’s mission and vision.
Stewardship and Donor Relations: 60%
- Serve as a strategic partner with Development Team colleagues, offering expertise, guidance, and resources to ensure comprehensive, timely and coordinated stewardship & engagement of transformational, leadership and major gift donors
- In conjunction with the Foundation CEO and VP, build relationships with donors, hospital representatives and volunteers to further stewardship and donor recognition
- Collaborate with the Development Teams colleagues and collaborate with the Communications team to support creating customized donor stewardship reports for million dollar plus leadership and transformational donors
- Collaborate with the Communications team to develop the donor story strategy for online and print publications, and the Development team to liaise with departments across the Hospital on individual donor recognition and stewardship initiatives
- Oversee and maintain donor stewardship infrastructure including donor matrix, policies, guidelines, and processes that support quality, timely and efficient fulfillment of stewardship activities to major gift and various donor segments
- Oversee stewardship initiatives including stewardship reports, annual donor reception, site tours, gift announcements and ribbon cuttings
- Oversee key stewardship initiatives and donor relations fulfillment for Gifts of Gratitude Program, Star is Born and Humber’s Very Own Campaign (HVO)
- Strategically manage the annual calendar of donor stewardship mailings and initiatives including content strategy and timing for the bi-annual @Humber newsletter, holiday cards, annual report, customized stewardship reports etc.
- Evaluate and ensure on an ongoing basis that stewardship activities are donor-centered and fulfilled in a timely manner in accordance with the donor relations matrix
- Support the Coordinator in collaborating with the Information Systems team to implement and maintain the tracking of stewardship activities in Raiser’s Edge through the stewardship pipeline
Donor Recognition: 25%
- Oversee the donor naming recognition program for the Hospital and support managing inventory of naming opportunities, creation of naming opportunity proposals as well as overseeing the installation of new donor recognition plaques
- Oversee donor recognition programs including support to manage donor lists, updates to the digital donor wall, and donor recognition preferences
- Develop strategic direction and outcomes for annual donor recognition event and provide guidance to Events team responsible for implementing the event
Strategy & Budget Development: 15%
- In collaboration with the VP, develop, implement, and evaluate the donor stewardship, recognition and engagement strategy for donor at all levels including annual, major gift, leadership, transformational and reactivation donors
- Evaluate the quality, outcomes and impact of the stewardship and donor relations portfolio and activities against the Foundation’s annual strategic plan and Leadership Evaluation Management (LEM) goals
- Develop and track program budget, key performance indicators against goals to ensure the prompt identification of challenges and solutions to ensure achieving annual targets
- Minimum of five to seven years experience advancing towards a management level, at least two years of which are at a management level; OR a minimum of five years’ experience at a management level with a major commercial brand that has superb customer service and implementation of programs that differentiate their brand from their competitors
- Proven track record in a not-for-profit environment or in the “for-profit” sector specializing in superior customer experience and service
- Proven track record as a skilled leader and manager
- Ability to think at a high level about the Hospital and Foundation priorities
- Ability to work within a senior management team
- Ability to think strategically and work proactively, managing competing priorities
- Excellent donor and volunteer relations skills, with a keen sense of diplomacy
- Collaborative mindset, strives to work effectively with cross-functional teams and understands the benefits
- Strong interpersonal skills, a superior ability to build and foster solid relationships, effectively manage complex protocols and expectations
- Ability to rise to new challenges and find creative solutions – resourceful and tenacious
- Strong presence, grit, poise, persuasiveness, and the appropriate confidence to earn credibility with senior management
Flexibility is necessary, as this position will be required to work some weekends and evenings.
Compensation range: $80,000 – $100,000 plus additional benefits including pension.
Humber River Hospital Foundation hires based on merit and is strongly committed to equality and diversity within its community and to a welcoming and inclusive workplace. Humber River Hospital Foundation especially welcomes applications from Indigenous persons, visible minority group members, women, persons with disabilities, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
If you are looking for an outstanding challenge, working with one of the most well known and highly respected hospital foundations in Canada, then what are you waiting for? Apply now! Please include a cover letter and CV addressed to Lindsay Preston at firstname.lastname@example.org. The posting closes on September 14, 2022.
Please note only qualified respondents will be contacted. Thank you for your interest.